JOGLE - by foot!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Hillwalker2004

JOGLE - by foot!

Post by Hillwalker2004 »

Hi All.

I often take a look at these boards for hints and tips even though I'm planning to go by foot! The plan is to take no more than 16 days but ideally 14 or less.

It's interesting to see where the routes by bike and foot differ and I thought I'd share my planned route. The route comes in at 813 miles.

Key differences:
- By foot allows a far more direct routing including a few sections using footpaths.
- Direct routing through most towns where it is less practical by bike.
- Avoiding nasty sections is harder to do by foot as even a small deviation from the shortest route has a significant energy penalty (typically 100 calories per mile).

95% of the route overlaps those who done it in 14 days or less previously (e.g. Dan Lawson, Sharon Gayter, Carla Molinaro etc.) so the link below is more or less the generally accepted route when attempting to go for a quick time.

The only areas where people tend to deviate is a small section south of Inverness, section between Monmouth and Chepstow where some follow the river where others take a more direct route West, a variety of different routes between Avonmouth and Bridgwater and in my case taking a route that I haven't see others take near Church Stretton. Other than that most other differences are very minor.

As I'm not going for a record I'm going for 'fastest practicable' I.e. avoiding chunks of A9 where the extra mileage is fairly low and a different route avoiding all but a small section of the A30. Only those attempting a FKT tend to do a direct routing on those sections.

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/jogle21lb/

Anyway, apologies for a non cycling thread but as I say I thought some of you would be interested!
philvantwo

Re: JOGLE - by foot!

Post by philvantwo »

Wow, thats some going! When are you hoping to start?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jings! You’re a fast Walker :D Are you sure that isn’t jogging?
At my speed that’s 17 hrs a day, plus stops, if I could hold it that long.
I’ve met a number of people walking it but they measured it in months.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hillwalker2004 wrote:I often take a look at these boards for hints and tips even though I'm planning to go by foot! The plan is to take no more than 16 days but ideally 14 or less.

It's interesting to see where the routes by bike and foot differ and I thought I'd share my planned route. The route comes in at 813 miles.

Definitely wow! Supported?

Have fun.

Jonathan
Hillwalker2004

Post by Hillwalker2004 »

Thanks all. Looking to start on 22nd May assuming restrictions ease as planned.

I'm a pretty accomplished marathon runner so the mileage will still be a massive challenge but within my capabilities. Biggest risk will be injury and accumulated fatigue so put my chances at about 40%!

16 hour days ahead and yes it's supported. That said, those that go for a record tend to have a whole team such as masseur, lead cyclist, food and drinks prep etc. For my attempt it's just me and the wife in support where I'll meet her every so often. Navigation and anything else between stops I'll need to do myself.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Are you race-walking with one foot always on the ground, jogging, running or what?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Here he is on Hadrian’s path more akin to running. The title is "by foot" don’t know why I assumed walking :(
[youtube]mQd_2LFoafQ[/youtube]

I met Sean Conway when he ran JOGLE. His run was more of a walk and he did take 44 days I think. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That route is basically my JOGLE route with the Raleigh Chopper. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Mick F wrote:That route is basically my JOGLE route with the Raleigh Chopper. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

KTHSullivan wrote:
Mick F wrote:That route is basically my JOGLE route with the Raleigh Chopper. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Although the achievement is magnificent: Even to consider such was as mad as a dog in a bungalow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Nothing like a challenge.
Hillwalker2004

Post by Hillwalker2004 »

With the distance involved it is pretty much impossible to run non-stop, the key is knowing when to run and when to walk (i.e. hills).

Looking at previous threads it seems 840 miles is about as low as you can go, but looks possible to go as low at 810ish miles by foot, if not a touch shorter.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

hi,
I walked 46.5 miles solo in 16.5 hours, whilst walking the Pennine Way, this was in the early 80s carrying everything but the kitchen sink camping of course that's wild camping you camp where you drop.
The pace wasn't particularly high the trick is to spend no more than five minutes per hour stopping.
At just over 3 mile an hour (you)I can see that's very possible for you to complete the task if you've already been doing running you will know how to pace yourself.
Good luck.
P.S. is there going to be any live tracking for your Walk well I suppose someone will be updating us as you go?
Or a link.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Hillwalker2004

Post by Hillwalker2004 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:P.S. is there going to be any live tracking for your Walk well I suppose someone will be updating us as you go?
Or a link.

Hi, the link is in my first post. It will start updating location automatically once underway. Its primarily there for safety reasons so my wife knows where I am, but anyone can look in if they want to. I think she is planning to post some videos on Youtube too. She also acts as chief accommodation booker - we have only booked the first couple of nights, but after that its very difficult to plan too far ahead.

Main thing is making sure it happens in the first place. At the moment 22nd May looks like it could be on, anyone else planning a May LEJOG/JOGLE?