JOGLE 21 Logistics Questions

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
philvantwo

Re: JOGLE 21 Logistics Questions

Post by philvantwo »

Forget any idea about flying to Wick airport, it no longer has any scheduled flights. Only helicopters going to oil rigs use it and light aircraft being delivered from America to Europe via Iceland.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh dear! :shock:

Either way, my idea still stands.
Pack your bike onto a pallet and get the transport people to take it up there.
Let the train take the strain, and pick up your bike.

http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com/201 ... -gone.html
Mick F. Cornwall
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

I got the train up last time I rode JoGLE, got a lift to Peterborough and booked it 12 weeks before departure, cost was £64!!

For security I used an Abus Bordo Combo Lite, weighs just 520g for a decent amount of security and comes with a bracket that easily zip ties to the underside of the down tube to keep the weight nice and low down. https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Securit ... -Lite-6150
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Do the dog or job done!

Tbh getting to and from lejog was the most stressful part for me.

Do you think there would be milage in a dedicated minibus service???

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Do the dog??
Anyway, you've got a 10 seater car James, maybe you could offer a service?
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

We hired a van from europecar, dropped it at wick Airport and took a taxi to JOG.
It was a long drive from Yorkshire . Not sure I'd fancy it from Dorset
robgul

Post by robgul »

Jamesh wrote: 9 May 2021, 10:57pm Do the dog or job done!

Tbh getting to and from lejog was the most stressful part for me.

Cheers James
There are some comments about transport at my website https://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/plann ... -resources - one of which is http://www.johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk/ (not checked recently whether it's operatonal)
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

For train tickets, try one of the split ticket sites, eg https://www.splitticketing.com/

A mate has done this loads of times, he once posted a picture of the 27 tickets he had to collect for a journey that routed via half a dozen different "stops". Note that many of them, you don't even need to change trains, you simply buy a single from (eg) Crewe to (eg) Warrington and then another single from Warrington to Carlisle. Same train, same seat but much cheaper than a direct Crewe - Carlisle ticket. Yes it's completely daft - I'm aware the public transport (especially when trying to travel with a bike) in this country is abysmal...

Bear in mind that some trains you'll have to book your bike onto as well (unless you go with @MickF 's suggestion of getting it couriered up there).

Personally, I'd be looking at that option - I speak from experience of having to lug a laden bike and a rucksack up and down stairs at busy stations when changing trains while regular commuters get massively annoyed at having to wait longer for the lift or having a bike bump into them!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 9 May 2021, 10:57pmDo you think there would be milage in a dedicated minibus service???
Yes, but probably not run as a standalone operation. Except as a sideline in eg retirement.

But as part of taxi services and luggage transfer for walkers this could work well.

What's out there at the moment?

(We often use luggage transfer for walking. But for bikes either trains or one way car hire.)

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

rareposter wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:24am For train tickets, try one of the split ticket sites, eg https://www.splitticketing.com/
That is an excellent facility, I'd suggested the OP give more detail to get more specific help. I don't think bikes are bookable via any of the split tickets apps, would be happy to hear otherwise, so once you know what you're aiming for you need to book elsewhere.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

It's tough to book trains at the moment. Many of the companies are still putting summer timetables and ticketing arrangements in place. Plus, you've got the ongoing issues with gwr and lner long distance stock issues due to cracking which have not yet been resolved.

Cross country don't seem to have any saver/advanced discounts available, hence the £220 quotations. However if you can sleep on someone's floor in London, you can currently book kgx-edi for £51 and edi-wck via inv for £32. I suspect that you'll need to book the bike for all legs, but it would be free. So even with a train from dorset-london you would only be around £100 with bike, which isn't shabby imho.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jamesh wrote: 9 May 2021, 10:57pm
Appreciate that this is a slightly separate question to what the OP was asking but generally, to make ends meet on it and for it to be an actual viable venture rather than simply a massive hassle, the cost puts people off. As a rough rule, most people doing LEJOG / JOGLE are prioritising cost over convenience and a transfer service costs a LOT. As a one-man-band type operation, you're using a large vehicle for commercial purposes (high insurance), it's a long way from JOG to Inverness (high fuel costs) and it takes a lot of time (which means a half-day + rate for the driver). All of which, especially for a lone rider, makes it prohibitively expensive. And the fewer people using a service like that (which is highly seasonal anyway) means the higher the costs overall.

It would really only work for someone who already had a van, already did that trip on a reasonably regular basis and was fairly flexible. Note as well that if 3 lots of riders arrive in JOG on the same day, you can only realistically transport one group which also cuts profit options.
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:28am
Yes, but probably not run as a standalone operation. Except as a sideline in eg retirement.

But as part of taxi services and luggage transfer for walkers this could work well.

What's out there at the moment?

(We often use luggage transfer for walking. But for bikes either trains or one way car hire.)

Jonathan
For groups it's pretty simple, there's a few who specifically advertise that service, but it's sometimes more economical to book a minibus and van. I've arranged several such trips, coach and minibus, as long as you can fill enough seats it can be more economical than the other options. I'm currently looking at a trip where the riders go by train and the bikes by van, another of those things that should have happened last year...
My experience is that I've never had a problem getting myself and maybe one other somewhere using the train, or finding ways of getting groups of 10+ somewhere, the difficulty is with anything in between. The first google hit for a minibus with cycle transport from Inverness to Wick cost £250 for two and £350 for seven.
Scotrail used to transport bikes from Inverness to Wick by van, I don't know why they stopped doing so, I suspect the numbers varied too much, which I think would be the downfall of any scheduled service.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

My planning for this year's JOGLE testing to say the least. X2 riders. From Inverness we are likely getting the bike transported via a van. As others have posted. Yes it's costly, needs must. Departs Jun 7th.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rareposter wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:24am ...........(unless you go with @MickF 's suggestion of getting it couriered up there).

Personally, I'd be looking at that option - I speak from experience of having to lug a laden bike and a rucksack up and down stairs at busy stations .........
Yep. :D

The story is well documented in my blog about my JOGLE on the Chopper.
I'm not blowing my trumpet about that ride in the slightest, but if I were to do a JOGLE again, I would do it like that again, no question about it.

My first JOGLE was on Mercian back in 1994, but I was in the RN back then and was due some leave whilst my ship was in Clyde Submarine Base just north of Helensburgh where we had friends living. I cycled to them in the late afternoon and stayed overnight, and they took me and my stuff to Glasgow Queen St station for the trains north. Not too far from Glasgow to Wick, but far enough with luggage, bike and stuff.

It was a lesson to me for the future. Let someone else get it all to Wick, and then take it an easy and unencumbered route there to meet your "stuff" after it arrives. Less than 40miles cycling to JOG and back to Wick, and then to start your ride south to LE.
Mick F. Cornwall