JOGLE 21 Logistics Questions

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
jonthefish

JOGLE 21 Logistics Questions

Post by jonthefish »

I am going ahead with my Solo Self supported JoGLE in July just before the school holidays and just have a few logistics questions for those old hands on this group.

1. Getting to JoG avec bike and gear. Im in Dorset and it seems like the train to Wick would cost me about £270 and take an age. I may be able to get a colleague to get me up to the Carlisle if i am very lucky which will solve most of my problems, but its not a given. What about National Express etc? Will the Bus take my bike and kit.

2. Basic gear. I have a specialized Diverge gravel bike - 2 rear panniers frame bag and bar bag and thought something along the lines of

Tent
Sleeping/bivvy bag
Cooking stuff
First aid kit/mozzy spray
innertubes and bike consumables/tools
lights
wahoo
clothes - two sets of bibs, layers x 2 (maybe 3) and waterproof - shorts/zip offs, t shirt/hoody an light shoes for evenings
water bottles
Mobile
initial easy carbs stuff to get through first few days in scotland where i will be wild camping and taking my time - in England ill be doing a few days camping and occasionally staying with friends/hotels to get my gear clean and dry

3. Bike Security when in shops, pubs, tea rooms, and at you tent overnight

Really, really appreciate any experience you have to share!
Last edited by jonthefish on 6 May 2021, 2:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: JOGLE 21 Logistics Questions

Post by Jdsk »

Do you need an additional battery pack for your devices?

Can you cycle in your spare shoes if you have to?

Jonathan
jonthefish

Post by jonthefish »

Yes all good points!!
I have a couple of high capacity charge packs but they are heavy.
Was going to get some MTB type trainers that i can walk around in as well as cycle in if my cleats break - are you thinking when i invariabley get soaked !!?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'll go and weigh the USB battery pack that I use.

Shoes and pedals: yes, looking for defence in depth, and avoiding any single failure bringing the tour to a halt. Not so much about getting soaked, more about something breaking.

(I use one sided pedals and can ride in my spare shoes, which are tough sandals.)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Locks and cables?

Jonathan
robgul

Post by robgul »

Lots of resources and experiences from other riders at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

With some research you can probably better the train price you quote quite significantly - perhaps train to London, sleeper to Inverness, train to Wick or Thurso and then 17 miles or so to ride.
Last edited by robgul on 8 May 2021, 8:00am, edited 1 time in total.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
robgul

Post by robgul »

jonthefish wrote: 6 May 2021, 2:50pm Yes all good points!!
I have a couple of high capacity charge packs but they are heavy.
Was going to get some MTB type trainers that i can walk around in as well as cycle in if my cleats break - are you thinking when i invariabley get soaked !!?
First time I rode E2E I didn't take a spare pair of shoes - had Shimano shoes with recessed (MTB type) cleats - no problem as they dried out very quickly (overnight stuffing with newspaper works !) on the 3 or 4 days they got wet.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 6 May 2021, 2:55pm I'll go and weigh the USB battery pack that I use.
310 g for 16,000 mA h. That would power all of our devices for more than 6 man days.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

An option you may or may not like.

What I did for my last JOGLE, was to fly to Wick, staying over in Wick.
The bike was put on a pallet and sent to Wick Airport.

As it happens, the Icelandic volcano dust-cloud put me off flying as it could have been cancelled or diverted, so I let the train take the strain.

Get in touch with a transport company. I used McGill Transport. They did it for free as I was riding for charity, but I believe it would have cost £60odd. You provide the pallet and wrap it up and they collect.
https://www.ijmcgilltransport.com

I got to Wick, stayed overnight, got a lift to the Airport - it's only a couple or so miles - rode to JOG, turned round and stayed overnight in Wick again. Following day pedalled south.

Far North Aviation at Wick Airport were fantastic.
https://www.farnorthaviation.co.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

jonthefish wrote: 6 May 2021, 2:40pm 1. Getting to JoG avec bike and gear. Im in Dorset and it seems like the train to Wick would cost me about £270 and take an age. I may be able to get a colleague to get me up to the Carlisle if i am very lucky which will solve most of my problems, but its not a given. What about National Express etc? Will the Bus take my bike and kit.
If you buy the right tickets at the right time, you can probably half the train cost, possibly better, though there's not much you can do to speed it up. If you be a bit more specific about where and when someone might have advice. If you have the time, you might consider visiting one of the friends on the way up that you'll be visiting on the way down. That would both break the journey, plus you could drop off a set of spare clothing, so have a complete refresh and post the others back.
You might get away with a bagged bike on the coach, but even that would be at the drivers discretion, and you'd be stuffed if one leg of the journey said no! it would also take a bit longer than the train, without the ability to get up and walk about. I don't mind that, I've travelled by coach through Europe a few times (Sometimes with a folded bike) but it's some peoples idea of purgatory.
As for gear, whatever you feel comfortable with, my experience is that taking to much is a lesser problem than not taking enough. I find spare shoes a hard decision, I've had equal experience of getting home wondering why I bothered carrying them and severely regretting not having taken some. It's the bulk more than the weight, there's a reason Crocs have become so popular, part of that is you can tie them somewhere so you don't need to fill half a pannier to take them.
Have fun, but you won't have come up with all the right answers and it's likely that those you've spent longest considering become the least relevant, that'll make you laugh or cry, possible both at the same time :wink:
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

jonthefish wrote: 6 May 2021, 2:40pm I am going ahead with my Solo Self supported JoGLE in July just before the school holidays and just have a few logistics questions for those old hands on this group.
Are you aware that Scottish schools break up before the end of June? This might mean more holidaymakers around at the start of of your trip - shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're wild camping, but may make commercial campsites busy.
puffin

Post by puffin »

This is a really useful thread, thanks to the contributors. I'm sticking my head over the parapet re: change of clothes. When you get in, if you stuff a shirt / pants / socks / shorts into a sink and wash it well, it should be dry by the morning. If not, keep the damp items separate and finish the drying the next night. To speed up the drying I put the wet article into a towel, then wind up each end of the towel which turns it into a kind of mangle, I put my foot on one end as it gets tight. If you stay at Youth Hostels they have drying rooms...yea!
This way you can get away with one change of clothes.
honesty

Post by honesty »

On bike security it’s worth while looking to see the requirements of any insurance you have. When I went last I could have made my bike secure in my tent, but it wouldn’t have been covered by insurance as it needed to be chained to something immovable. I ended up taking a cable bike lock and locking it to the campsite fence each night.

On gear I prefer going slowly to make the distance and be comfortable at night. I take a decent mat, pillow, chair, I take lightweight shoes to change into in the evening. I find it more comfortable to have a change (different pressure points etc) than staying in the same shoes all day.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

puffin wrote: 8 May 2021, 1:47pm If you stay at Youth Hostels they have drying rooms...yea!
Not all do :x
I know from wet experience :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote: 8 May 2021, 2:43pm
puffin wrote: 8 May 2021, 1:47pm If you stay at Youth Hostels they have drying rooms...yea!
Not all do :x
I know from wet experience :D
Whoops!