Paper versus GPS

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jdsk

Re: Paper versus GPS

Post by Jdsk »

Which model, please?
https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices

Jonathan
toontra

Post by toontra »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 6:54pm Good banter and comments here.

Just about to buy a Wahoo elemnt.
Any thoughts?
Personally I'd go for the new Bolt (v2). I used the v1 for several years and found it excellent, but I'm really liking the colour screen, the re-routing and auto backlight. The route chevron is also easier to follow. It has all the features of the Roam and a few extra but at a lower price. Only difference is the screen size but in practice it's fine for my (not perfect by any means) eyes.

As an extra I find the colour data fields for power and HR useful while training.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Try a smartphone first. Buy a wahoo if the smartphone can't do the job. I've been navigating by smartphone since 2013 and won't ever be going back to Garmin type stuff unless I have a very specific, and likely extreme, use case.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

toontra wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 7:18pm

Any thoughts?
Personally I'd go for the new Bolt (v2). I used the v1 for several years and found it excellent, but I'm really liking the colour screen, the re-routing and auto backlight. The route chevron is also easier to follow. It has all the features of the Roam and a few extra but at a lower price. Only difference is the screen size but in practice it's fine for my (not perfect by any means) eyes.

As an extra I find the colour data fields for power and HR useful while training.
With poor eyesight it will be the one with the largest screen! I think the elemnt roam.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Any thoughts?
My experience https://psamathe.net/wahoo-elemnt-navigation-review/

Had to buy a Garmin mid tour and lug the Wahoo back to UK to get a refund (don't know how I didn't end-up throwing it in a canal I was so annoyed with it, particularly once I'd purchased the Garmin and was using that to finish the tour - good self restraint?).

Ian
robgul

Post by robgul »

My experience is sort of secondhand - a group that I was supporting riding in several European countries had endless issues with the Wahoo gadgets they had (several different models - supplied by a sponsor) - lots of the problems were as mentioned in Psamathe's review.

Whilst they do get some stick it does seem that Garmin is THE product range to use - with the greatest/best functionality with a plethora of mapping systems and maps.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 7:56pm

With poor eyesight it will be the one with the largest screen! I think the elemnt roam.
Or Lezyne Mega xl same size same resolution easier, I find, to read b&w.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

My Samsung Galaxy S7 edge phone has the biggest screen of all (5 1/2" diagonal) and if I was only using it to potter around the countryside for a few hours it would be a natural device to use with Ride with GPS routing, but going on an extended trip - such as LeJog - where the need to have a fully charged phone as well as a routing device is a must, I would steer towards a Garmin model - and it looks as if the Montana will fit the bill.
I have the Wahoo Elemnt - as previously discussed, and whilst adequate enough for the basic bike computer read-outs, is not big enough for these eyes to read routing. However, I have never had any problems with it for my purposes, and it recharges very quickly, so if your eyes are only a few years old, you might consider it.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Given the original question, just to remark that I have done Audaxes for many years with a Garmin GPS and a map trap for a paper route sheet, so it's "both ... and ..." for me.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Tiggertoo wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 3:46pmDoes anyone use anything else with good results?
I relied mainly on the signposts, as long as you know which town you want to get to you'll be fine, and a pocket compass helps too.
IanH

Post by IanH »

FWIW I use a Garmin 530 for straightforward navigation together with OutdoorsGPS and an annual Ordnance Survey subscription on my iPhone for when I need to consult a proper map.
I also recommend a pair of inexpensive bi-focal cycling glasses to overcome age-related degraded eyesight!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tiggertoo wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 11:43pm My Samsung Galaxy S7 edge phone has the biggest screen of all (5 1/2" diagonal) and if I was only using it to potter around the countryside for a few hours it would be a natural device to use with Ride with GPS routing, but going on an extended trip - such as LeJog - where the need to have a fully charged phone as well as a routing device is a must, I would steer towards a Garmin model - and it looks as if the Montana will fit the bill.
I have the Wahoo Elemnt - as previously discussed, and whilst adequate enough for the basic bike computer read-outs, is not big enough for these eyes to read routing. However, I have never had any problems with it for my purposes, and it recharges very quickly, so if your eyes are only a few years old, you might consider it.
Which Montana, and what do you see as the advantages and disadvantages compared to an Edge, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tiggertoo wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 3:46pm Being an Audax cyclist, I have always used paper cue sheets rather than relying on miniscule screens on GPS devices, but there are so many immediate turns down by-lanes and by-ways on routes required to do LeJog, that I am reconsidering this, particularly with the possible expectation of rain messing up my paper route sheets.
I have a Wahoo Elemnt that I use solely as a bike computer - MPH, climbing, total ride time - but the screen is far too small for instant reading, unless wearing reading glasses - which I do not do when riding.
Does anyone use anything else with good results?

I prefer having a paper map especially a good holiday ( holiday makers ) map of the area for two reasons.

Firstly there is usually more information about lanes walkways, points of interest and attractions on the map.

Secondly it won't drain my phone battery.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As always I recommend becoming familiar with as many tools as possible, and then picking the best for the task...
Cowsham wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 12:22pm I prefer having a paper map especially a good holiday ( holiday makers ) map of the area for two reasons.

Firstly there is usually more information about lanes walkways, points of interest and attractions on the map.

Secondly it won't drain my phone battery.
Have tried you high resolution eg OS maps on 'phones and dedicated mobile devices?

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think they are different animals. A paper map lets you see the whole area, and therefore the place where you are, in context. You can consider the merits of heading north-west or north-east as a way to your distant objective.

A GPS only shows (at any reasonable scale) the immediate area. Great for knowing where to turn next, or what's next door. Far better than a map for following a twisting, complex route that you've pre-planned (or has been found by the device). Not so good for checking what's over the next hill and whether it's worth the bother, or remembering your whole trip, or looking before you depart to see what it will be like.