Tain-JOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
wbr

Tain-JOG

Post by wbr »

Hi all,

Trying to plan route between Tain and JOG with my daughter. We are pretty slow, but she's totally happy putting in 10-11 hr days.

Obviously the A9 Tain-JOG is the shortest route by about 40miles compared to via Bettyhill. I know the North coast is more scenic, but given how slow we are, and we'll probably going to take at least 3 weeks anyway, I'm not that bothered about seeing the beauty of the north coast (am more keen to stop it taking us a month!). What I am worried about however is safety. I know the A9 south of Inverness has a cycle path - albeit it badly maintained. It should be easier to use the cycle path as we're going so slowly. But I know we'd be on the main road north of Inverness. I've seen reports of the traffic thinning out and it being much safer north of Tain, but I've also read things calling A9 the road of death, although most of the these posts seems to be quite old and I think reference Perth-Inverness section.

Is anyone able to advise/ has cycled A9 north of Tain or Inverness recently, please? Would I be bonkers to cycle this with a child?

Thanks so much all in advance for your help.
robgul

Re: Tain-JOG

Post by robgul »

I'd go for it with the main direct route - traffic lessens N of Inverness and apart from Berriedale Braes it's not that arduous.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

wbr wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 11:28pm A9 south of Inverness has a cycle path - albeit it badly maintained
I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised mile upon mile has been resurfaced.
wbr wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 11:28pm I've also read things calling A9 the road of death
Yes that lable is South of Inverness a lot of it with avg speed cameras now.
wbr wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 11:28pm But I know we'd be on the main road north of Inverness. I've seen reports of the traffic thinning out and it being much safer north of Tain,
You can reach Tain without using the A9. It is very unpleasant/ noisy/ fast crossing the Moray Firth and if the Cromarty ferry is running it would be my choice if doing it again. Yes traffic seems to thin out after Tain and I enjoyed it and never felt worried providing the man at the rear held a good road position.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm Going to buck the trend and recommend the scenic route. Unless you're on a mission why not enjoy the scenery. The day that we rode north from Invershin was one of the highlights of our ride. Personally I'd also take the back road from Dingwall via Evanton and then the B9176 Struie road.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

On my Scottish end 2 end I came down from Scrabster via Betty hill and Lairg.
Recall pleasant roads.
I then cut across West to the Hebrides but on another trip I have ridden from Lairg to Inverness. Good roads.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

'tis a while since I was up that far north, but I reckon Tain to JOG is a good road.
A9, turn off into Tain as it's a nice place ........... toilets/shops/etc ............ and then back onto the A9.
Berridale isn't half so bad as it was in the old days, so don't worry about it. Take your time and walk if you need to.

From Inverness, take the Old A9 via Beauly and Muir of Ord, Dingwall etc, then Evanton, Alness, Invergordon etc.
Keep off the A9 Black Isle over Tore.
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

if the Cromarty ferry is running it would be my choice if doing it again
I'm pretty sure I observed a sign today saying the Nigg ferry was up and running. I was cycling on the Black Isle (North of Inverness) so probably passed the sign whilst crossing the Kessock Bridge. I was going so damn fast it was all a bit of a blur!! :wink:
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

We are currently in Selkirk and will be through Tain on Thursday.

We will take the Cromarty ferry then route via Dornoch and rejoin the A9 as late as poss. From there it's up to Lybster (with stop in Brora) and then via Wasset to JoG
Ron

Post by Ron »

nickyboy wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 9:40pmand then via Wasset to JoG
That would be Watten I think, how did it go?
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Another vote for scenic. Head for Lairg, then Tounge and then along the north coast. The day between Lairg and Tounge was one of the nicest of my end to end. Lovely hotel in Tongue, good youth hostel, stayed in both on different trips.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

There has been some major engineering works on the Braes - is it completed?

Has the old road sections been left for cyclists.

What cycling provision has been provided for?

Cheers James
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Norman H wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 3:13pm I'm Going to buck the trend and recommend the scenic route. Unless you're on a mission why not enjoy the scenery.
Same here.

Obviously if you have significant time constraints, then some things must give. But the terrain north of Inverness is perhaps the most stunning part of the UK, so it would be a shame to short-change yourselves!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Jamesh wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 1:56pm There has been some major engineering works on the Braes - is it completed?

Has the old road sections been left for cyclists.

What cycling provision has been provided for?

Cheers James
Braes was completed a while ago but there's no additional provision for cyclists.

I drove the route today - actually the first time I've ever driven it northwards, done it coming south a few times.

To the OP: I'd suggest that you'd be insane to take a child along it. It's unpleasant anyway - and actually surprisingly hilly - there's very little additional space for anything other than 2 cars and the additional traffic generated by it being part of NC500 means there's no way I'd risk it.

Traffic didn't noticeably thin out much. Pockets of heavy traffic all doing 40 behind a camper van, pockets where everyone could do 60 but yeah - not a road for cycling on to be honest.
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

If you fancy a bit of flow country off road, you can go on the estate road from Forsinain towards Thurso via Altnabreac station. I got there from Altnaharra, Syre and Forsinard. Not sure of another way of getting there without going across the Mound to Helmsdale.
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

At Inverness rather than go to Beauly on south side of Beauly Firth I would go over the Keswick Bridge, down to North Keswick and follow the very pleasant minor road that hugs the north shore of Beauly Firth. When you come up to the junction with A832 turn left to Muir of Ord. Right here on A 862 to Dingwall. At Dingwall take the Old Evanton Road to Evanton and then the Scotsburn Road to Tain. If you are in no hurry, go to JoG via Lairg and B871 to Bettyhill. Otherwise, via A9, it’s less problematic than your average B road in southern England:)