5 day LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mjb210

5 day LEJOG

Post by Mjb210 »

Afternoon all,

Myself and one other are planning to see off on our 5 day LEJOG attempt next Sunday and I have just been putting the final touches to the route based off a few friends that have done it previously and the GCN relay route. We are planning to stay at friends on route which is why it occasionally veers off and daily distances vary but would be great to hear if there are any big mistakes.

We obviously need to cover a fair bit if distance each day but we also didn't want to stick to the busiest roads. At the moment it looks like the distance and ascent is reasonable and we will try and set off early each day to get some good distance in pre lunch. We are lucky enough to have a support van so we will be travelling light and we both have done long distance multi day rides in the past

Day 1: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/64626215
Day 2: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/66392841
Day 3: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/67247156
Day 4: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/67252406
Day 5: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/48122312

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 5 day LEJOG

Post by Mick F »

Looks ok to me.
Done Jogle twice, and Lejogand Back as well, plus was driving the support for a five-day Lejog.

The Five Day route was Le to Bristol on the first day (200miles), then to Chester, and then to Moffat, and then to Kingussie, and then to Jog.
They were absolutely knackered at the end of it.

Started most days at 6am and finished most days after midnight. Kingussie to Jog was particularly hard as it was the last leg.
This is not to mention Le to Bristol. They had rain and sleet and headwinds. :shock:
Snow when they went through Warrington and up to Preston too! :shock:

This was May 2007.
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Day 4 - presumably there's a reason to go via Lanark (accommodation) as there's a more direct route from Abingdon to Carnworth.

Interestingly I was on this route as part of a London-Aberdeen ride a couple of weeks ago. At 5.30 in the morning I was overtaken by a rider in full race gear (the only moving thing I'd seen since 3am) and was surprised there wasn't the usual friendly "hi", explained shortly after when a support car with hazard lights on and 2 spare bikes on the roof came past! Clearly a record attempt.

Good luck with your ride. I did a 5-day LEJoG a few years ago, solo unsupported. Great fun and very memorable. There's a blog somewhere on the internet. It all depends on the weather whether it's going to be easy or hard :lol:
Last edited by toontra on 12 Jul 2021, 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The route the chaps did in 2007 ...........

A30 to Exeter, B3181 (old A38) and A38 to Bristol.

Worcester, Kidderminster, Telford to Chester.

Then A49 Warrington, Wigan to Preston, then A6 to Carlisle and Old A74 to Moffat.

Then Lanark, Livingstone, Broxburn, Forth Road Bridge, and Old A90 to Perth, and A9 to Kingussie.

A9 to all the way to Latheron, and A99 via Wick to Jog.
Mick F. Cornwall
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

It’s a bugger when you’ve got limited days for a lejog isn’t it?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Don’t know why you want to do the extra mile via Dornoch.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mjb210

Post by Mjb210 »

Thanks all. My mate is a firefighter so squeezing it in between his shifts. Yes accom in Lanark just off the route. Thanks for pointing the Dornoch detour, I will check that part
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

We've just finished our LEJOG. Your route looks pretty good. Just two comments:

1) When you cross the Kessock Bridge in Inverness make sure you cross to the S bound side before you start the bridge (as I think your route does). The N bound cyclepath is currently closed and the divert (which we took) takes you under the bridge, back round by Inverness Caledonian Thistle's ground and back to the S bound side of the bridge. The divert wastes 20 minutes

2) Consider taking the Carlisle ring road to the W of Carlisle. We did. It was excellent; really fast surface, and easy to keep speed up. Traffic no probs. I reckon it's a fair bit quicker (although a bit longer) than going through the middle of Carlisle as per your route
PH

Post by PH »

Good luck.
I think the first day looks brutal, but you'll know your abilities. if you get up feeling OK on Monday morning, you're as good as there.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

nickyboy wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 3:05pm 2) Consider taking the Carlisle ring road to the W of Carlisle. We did. It was excellent; really fast surface, and easy to keep speed up. Traffic no probs. I reckon it's a fair bit quicker (although a bit longer) than going through the middle of Carlisle as per your route
Totally agree I’ve been promoting this route for years. Even the GCN duo noted how long it took to get through Carlisle.

E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This was my route JOGLE on the Raleigh Chopper in 2010.
Can't remember an issue with the route through Carlisle.
Seemed OK to me.

............ though looking at it, my Garmin 705 must have thrown a wobbly! :shock:
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 18.18.13.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Looking at the wider view ...............

Seems like it settled down later.
A6 Carlisle to Preston.
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 18.23.32.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 6:20pm This was my route JOGLE on the Raleigh Chopper in 2010.
Seemed OK to me.

............ though looking at it, my Garmin 705 must have thrown a wobbly! :shock:

In 2010 you didn’t have any real option.
At a quick guess you went through at least 8 traffic lights plus pedestrian crossings. Catch them all at red and it’s constant stop start.
2012 the relief road opened the first time I used it on a bike I couldn’t believe how quickly I’d got to Dalston.
It might be a different calculation to use the A6 but in the numerous times I’ve done home to Penrith both times I’ve used the A6 has been slower, for me, than staying on the West side of Motorway which has no hills.

E2E info
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Paulatic wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 7:02pm
Mick F wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 6:20pm This was my route JOGLE on the Raleigh Chopper in 2010.
Seemed OK to me.

In 2010 you didn’t have any real option.
At a quick guess you went through at least 8 traffic lights plus pedestrian crossings. Catch them all at red and it’s constant stop start.
2012 the relief road opened the first time I used it on a bike I couldn’t believe how quickly I’d got to Dalston.
It might be a different calculation to use the A6 but in the numerous times I’ve done home to Penrith both times I’ve used the A6 has been slower, for me, than staying on the West side of Motorway which has no hills.
I think you're spot on. We left the A6 in Penrith and went via Hutton End, Dalston to the Carlisle relief road. Quick, flat roads. With the added benefit of the Country Kitchen in Dalston :D
We then went via Cargo and Rockcliffe to Gretna
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

That’s exactly my favourite way to Penrith. I usually get my lunch at the Country Kitchen.

E2E info