Training for lejog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Susie

Lejog training enquiry :)

Post by Susie »

Heyyy
So I’m 18 and I’m doing lejog in September( over 14 days, doing between 58-83 miles a day),( I won’t be carrying any luggage)and I’ve been training for the past 7 weeks, however the last 3 weeks ive been indoor cycling( using a smart bike( I think that’s what it’s called )- on Rouvy)- I like indoor training as it’s very convenient and safer as I live in quite a busy area. however I’m worried that it maybe easier than outside cycling.
Would I ‘ suffer’ during lejog if I did all my training in my indoor bike? I’ve done a 3 day coast to coast cycle tour before without training(150 miles ish) (I suffered 😆 but I completed ) that’s the only bike tour I’ve done prior
Many thanks :)
Last edited by Susie on 20 Jul 2021, 2:00am, edited 4 times in total.
Paulatic

Re: Lejog training enquiry :)

Post by Paulatic »

I think you’ll suffer greatly. Whilst you are sitting on a saddle and turning pedals you are missing out on ;
Dealing with the weather heat, cold, wind and rain.
Hills, climbing and descending them
Road surfaces different drags and pot hole spotting
Riding in traffic
Navigation and dealing with going off route
Learning what food to carry and when to eat, you can’t just pop to the fridge when you need nibbles.
That’s for starters I’m sure others will have their own ideas
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Susie wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:47am Heyyy
So I’m doing lejog in September, and I’ve been training for the past 7 weeks, however the last 3 weeks ive been indoor cycling( using a rd bike on a flywheel- on Rouvy)- I like indoor training as it’s very convenient however I’m worried that it maybe easier than outside cycling.
Would I ‘ suffer’ during lejog if I did all my training in my indoor bike?
While I don’t disagree with a word ‘Paulatic’ has written - I can’t bear indoor cycling - I would point out that at least one long-distance cyclist does all of his training indoors:

https://guernseypress.com/sport/2018/11 ... d-records/

It’s not for me, but what you’re doing is better than nowt. Good luck to you, and please update us in September.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, the date of the big ride is approaching and you are getting concerned.

At its simplest, cycle touring including an End-to-End ride is a matter of sitting on a bike for hours on end and pedalling. That doesn't suit everybody, but if you can sit on an exercise bike for hours on end and pedal, then you are most of the way there, especially as there's much more to attract your interest out on the road. If you are doing five minutes of that now and again, well, you may struggle a bit.

There is a trade off between speed and time. If you plan to do it in five days it will be hard with no time to get bored. Five weeks would be relatively easy but with more time to reflect on the point of the exercise.

In the next few weeks, as much road riding as you can manage should either reassure you or help you recognise that it's not really for you.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Susie wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:47am Would I ‘ suffer’ during lejog if I did all my training in my indoor bike?
Presuming you're working out at an adequate level, with an adequate diet (I.e. Sufficient protein intake etc), you'll be improving on your levels of cardio fitness. However if you're using a different bike on LEJOG, with a differing seating position and different gear ratios, you won't be building up the precise muscle structure for using your LEJOG bike (Nb. It'd probably take a good few days to adjust to using your LEJOG bike).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Susie wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:47amSo I’m doing lejog in September, and I’ve been training for the past 7 weeks, however the last 3 weeks ive been indoor cycling( using a rd bike on a flywheel- on Rouvy)- I like indoor training as it’s very convenient however I’m worried that it maybe easier than outside cycling.
Would I ‘ suffer’ during lejog if I did all my training in my indoor bike?
Have you done anything like this before?

Will you be carrying a lot of kit, eg camping?

Any plans for practice multiday rides before the big one?

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Depends where you're at. If you're ready to go and the training is to make it easier or faster then everything you do will help. If you're not, then it won't. Also depend on the ride of course, people's idea of a E2E varies. if you're doing it as a tour over 2+ weeks and you've done some touring before, the chances are you'll be fine, but if it's a challenge ride over 7 or less days, then obviously the preparation needs to match that.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Obviously, what you don't get indoors is the weather. Riding on the road, you do get it. Now, a cool breeze is immeasurably better than sitting on some static bike and sweating cobs, but the downside is the rain and headwinds. September can be a spell of mild weather - an Indian Summer - perfect for cycling, but you cannot bank on it.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

The advice above is all sensible ... but I can't help wondering why you're choosing to do a LEJoG if you prefer indoor cycling to being outside.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Possibly.. how many miles are you planning on cycling cycling a day? The first couple of days plate very hilly - Cornwall and Devon are full of hills that gi up and then go straight back down again - and then you have Bodmin Moor and Dartmoor to consider... mind you if you're limiting mileage to a sensible 50 to 60 miles a day, you can always walk up the hills - when I cycled from Lands End to Cheddar that's what I did, and I don't think I was too much slower than the times I cycled every hill between those points.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wonder why the OP is doing the Lejog. It doesn't interest me, but all my cycling tours have been because I like cycling in the real world. If someone prefers their front room to the road, why ride all the way to Scotland.

As someone who has done a few tours (and a few end to ends) I agree that there is a definite road experience that I doubt can be got from an exercise bike. Most of these have been listed previously, so I won't repeat, except for luggage. Unless you have ridden with luggage you cannot understand the way it 'slugs' your bike on even the smallest hill. Also how it changes the feel of the bike and makes doing things like looking behind you more difficult. Personally, I would ride on the road, with whatever luggage I was planning on carrying. Of course that could be none, but we don't have any idea of the nature of this ride (supported, camping, whatever).
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

I agree with everything that @Paulatic said in the first reply.

Riding on a turbo is great for doing specific workouts, intervals, sprints etc which can be difficult to do in the real world where terrain and traffic can interfere with sticking to a certain power or HR.

However, you absolutely need real world riding to learn about traffic, group riding, bike handling, "reading the road", navigation (and use of whatever nav kit you're using), clothing, how to pack and carry your stuff, eating and drinking on the move, pacing, bike fit and so on.

I've done a lot of ride leading (including on LEJOG events) and invariably there'll be someone there who is reasonably fit and strong from doing a load of virtual riding, Zwift etc but has zero clue about group riding, what to wear for the weather, how to ride in inclement conditions (that could be wind/rain or, like now, a heatwave).

You say you live in quite a busy area - are there options where you could get a train out of town and then ride back? At least that way you can get most of the ride done on quieter roads.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

NB
OP has added to her first post answering some of the questions raised (and making some of the replies look a bit odd).

Quote:
So I’m 18 and I’m doing lejog in September( over 14 days, doing between 58-83 miles a day),( I won’t be carrying any luggage)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the extra information. On your own or in a group?

Some good advice above.

The indoor work will improve cardiovascular capacity and muscle strength.

What will be different on the big ride?
* How familiar are you with the bike? Can you adjust things if necessary?
* Adjusting to other's preferred speed.
* How to make it enjoyable day after day.
* Eating and drinking.
* Dealing with minor pains and strains, and illness.

So if you can fit in a multiday ride that's as close as possible to the real thing that's probably a good idea.

Jonathan

PS: Neat work, simonhill. I'd have missed it.
Susie

Training for lejog

Post by Susie »

Hey!
I’m cycling lejog in September over 14 days. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for training. For the last 7/8 weeks My trainings just consisted of getting in the miles and a few hills. Is there anything more I could do?
Also if anyone has any words of wisdom for cycling lejog please let me know!