Food on the train

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Tiggertoo

Re: Food on the train

Post by Tiggertoo »

Sadly, it appears that some Australians have adopted the rabid drunken behaviour of British louts whilst travelling.
I have no doubt many of the readers of this Forum also avoid areas wherever Britons gather abroad en masse for the same reason.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

“Yes.

Ask any frontline worker in the police or ambulance staff or emergency departments.

Jonathan”

Yes, I understand that being abused by those who have had too much to drink is a completely unacceptable daily occurrence for some workers.

What took me completely by surprise was that these apparently ‘nice lads’ (and one lassie) - I’m guessing young tradesman - managed to completely ruin everyone’s train journey of several hours. Whilst managing to stay just on the right side of the law, presumably by not being violent.
Clearly a practised ‘skill’.

Behaviour on trains, even with drink taken, was not like that pre-lockdown.
tmac100

Post by tmac100 »

Mick F wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:46pm What time do you leave?
Can you not have a decent breakfast before you go?

I can go eight hours plus from breakfast, with a quick lunch of a sarnie or something, right until the evening meal.
8am breakfast, a quick lunch, and evening meal at 5, 6, or 7pm.

Why pay through the nose for food on a train?
Yes, and to each their own.

At 73 years, I do bring "supplies", but enjoy train food and ... I AM looking forward to eating in the restaurant on the trains going from Moscow to Vladivostok..Pardon my "flippancy" but money is only good when living. With a retirement pension, and no mortgage, my views are different than when raising children and paying off a Canadian mortgage. Sheesh.

Life is good as I woke up today - and my bicycle awaits.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Why Moscow to Vladivostok?
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Paulatic wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 8:19am Also bear in mind you can’t buy alcohol in Scotland before 10am. You’ll need to buy that Buckie the day before :lol:

And no alcohol drinking on Scottish trains,
I believe.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tiggertoo wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 9:30pm Why Moscow to Vladivostok?
It's a way of avoiding the Scottish ban on alcohol consumption?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

BTW, mjr,
I noticed your group had a ride over to Bircham windmill, I was stationed at RAF Bircham Newton for a while and did not come across it, can you tell me where it is? I suppose I could look it up, but I'm here anyway. :wink:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

For those who are happy to eat on the train, here is the latest offering from GWR straight from my mail box:

Pullman Dining is back on board our trains with a brand new menu.* Whizz past beautiful views while you delight in seasonal ingredients, specially selected wines and the best local produce from across our network.

Book today and savour 2 courses for £25 or 3 courses for £30. From a comforting squash and coconut curry to a succulent confit duck leg, and from a decadent chocolate mousse to a crowd-pleasing selection of the finest cheeses – there's truly something for all tastes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tiggertoo wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 3:23pm BTW, mjr,
I noticed your group had a ride over to Bircham windmill, I was stationed at RAF Bircham Newton for a while and did not come across it, can you tell me where it is? I suppose I could look it up, but I'm here anyway. :wink:
The excellent windmill is on the opposite (west) side of Great Bircham to Bircham Newton, which is a couple of miles away.

The heritage centre at RAF Bircham Newton has open days on 26 Sep, 30 Oct and 14 Nov, one of which we may ride to. I don't think there is much else left at Bircham Newton besides the base housing. The stores/deli in Great Bircham is also worth a visit (shut Sunday afternoons) but I think the pub opposite got a one star food hygiene recently which surprised me.

Long way from any train except a bike train, though!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Tiggertoo wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 4:22pm Sadly, it appears that some Australians have adopted the rabid drunken behaviour of British louts whilst travelling.
What??

A friend of mine worked in the Atherton (mining, etc) in Oz in the 1950s after jumping ship. The stories he told of the Aussies getting the train up to the mines were amazing. They got off at each stop, drank till the train was ready to roll. Next stop, repeat. By the time they arrived, they were completely plastered - not to mention the numerous fights, etc that went on.

He related it as drinking rarely matched anywhere.