Food on the train

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
axel_knutt

Re: Food on the train

Post by axel_knutt »

PH wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 8:04pm Staying at a B&B? See if they'll do you a packed lunch, many do
I've made sandwiches on the dressing table in the bedroom at a B&B, using the handle of my toothbrush to spread the marge & fish paste, my credit card to cut the sandwiches in half, and wet loo roll to wash up after. (These days I carry a plastic knife.) I've also asked for sandwiches to take away but there's never enough of them, which is why I now never rely on anyone but myself.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Self-catering, from whatever I could rustle up at short notice in Inverness, to cover 8 hours, would be within my scope... Fill up all the water bottles, then some fresh-baked rolls (and pre-butter them if you want to get really fancy!), a re-sealable Cheddar block, a small jar of Branston, ditto peanut butter, a banana, an apple and a couple of choccie bars would do it! I bet you already have a pocket knife. I can hear that slightly damp-smelling Spar corner shop calling! Oh and a bottle of Buckie to help you nod off.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PH wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 8:39pm
st599_uk wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 8:15pm At the moment you're only allowed to remove a face mask to eat items bought from the on train catering.
In England there is no longer a requirement to wear a mask at all on the train, though it is still advised.
I've been on four trains since July 19th, one LNER, I haven't heard anything about not eating your own food.
Inverness is in Scotland. It is compulsory. Do people put on/take off masks at Berwick?
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Also bear in mind you can’t buy alcohol in Scotland before 10am. You’ll need to buy that Buckie the day before :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Re wearing face masks:

https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/

Quite straightforward, really.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 8:26am Re wearing face masks:

https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/

Quite straightforward, really.
Yes, it's what we've already said, it's a request in England and a legal requirement in Scotland.
I got off the Edinburgh train in Newcastle a couple of weeks ago, about 50% of passengers were wearing masks. How many of those were crossing the border, I wouldn't know.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A one time frequent traveller I’ve not been on a train for over two years so I have no personal experience. Interesting what you say about Newcastle. In Berwick shops i have seen only one person not wearing a mask. Possibly because so many here have come over from Scotland anyway, or think they are in Scotland. My friend who travels by train to Newcastle several times a week says most wear masks.
John
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

DaveReading wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 9:26pm
st599_uk wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 8:15pm
Mick F wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:26pm Self catering.
Buy stuff before you get on the train.
Sarnies perhaps.

Couple of bottles of wine too, and you can pick up Costa cups to drink it from for free.
At the moment you're only allowed to remove a face mask to eat items bought from the on train catering.
Prior to the recent relaxation of the rules, some train companies were discouraging passengers from eating on board (and hence having to remove their masks), but I've never heard of any restriction on bringing food onto the train.

Where did you see or read that ?
Was being enforced on the 10 or so work trips I took with LNER this year. (or at least they were trying to enforce it)

And remember, the relaxation of rules doesn't cover trains that travel into or out of Scotland.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Went on the train into Plymouth on Monday.
GWR say it's "optional" to wear a face mask.

As the train arrived at Gunnislake, I asked the guard - masked - if I needed a mask. he replied that it was optional.

Got onboard, to find the staff all wearing one, and all passengers getting on wore one, so I fished mine out and put mine on too.
Ticket lady (Janet, who we know quite well as she is often the ticket lady on the Gunny train) was wearing one of course.
I put my £4.20 on the table for my single, and she picked it up and put the ticket on the table.

No touching, and all wearing masks.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Back to the food and away from the masks: :wink:
Excellent advice all round. Thanks.

For my part, I am happy to take advantage of food being offered on the train if it means that food will continue to be offered on the train in future. It's a bit like having two grocery stores within reach and if we don't shop at both of them, one of them might go under - meaning it is likely the other shop might lower its quality and raise its prices.

On the other hand, if we all board the train clutching our bacon sarnies, might 'they' realise that 'they' need to do a better catering job?

A bit of a conundrum really. :?: Although to paraphrase Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations, it is better for the overall economy of a country for everyone in it to do their own thing. 8)
L+1

Post by L+1 »

Paulatic wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 8:19am Also bear in mind you can’t buy alcohol in Scotland before 10am. You’ll need to buy that Buckie the day before :lol:
There is supposed to be a full ban on alcohol consumption on Scottish trains, as well as a ban on the visible carrying of alcohol on trains and in stations at the current time.
Recent (unpleasant) experience is that train staff are completely unable to enforce the anti-social over consumption of alcohol but are still attempting to prohibit ‘social drinking’ for passengers who are not completely guttered.
I imagine if you are sufficiently sober to understand what is being said, you will be asked to put your bottle of Buckie (other choices available) until you are over the border into England.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

until you are over the border into England.
There is something about the English and alcohol. It was always said - eons ago - that it was the Irish who couldn't hold their alcohol, but it appears that dubious accolade has definitely been purloined by the English these days.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

L+1

Post by L+1 »

Tiggertoo wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 3:33pm
There is something about the English and alcohol. It was always said - eons ago - that it was the Irish who couldn't hold their alcohol, but it appears that dubious accolade has definitely been purloined by the English these days.
I think inflicting your excessive alcohol consumption on others is widespread, sadly. I wasn’t trying to make a Scotland versus England point. Just shocked and saddened by the behaviour of the young men involved and the total lack of control displayed (and perhaps available) to the Scotrail employee on board.
Quite a shock as my first ‘post Covid’ train journey and very much not my previous experience of Scotrail services.
It is only time I have used the British Transport Police non emergency text alert system. Police officers out en masse for our arrival in Glasgow Queen Street - but only slightly interested in anti social drinking - and the resulting antisocial (deliberate) urination all over the only toilet on the train on our 3hour plus journey.

Officers did head off to ‘speak to’ the offending 20 somethings when I challenged them about possible Covid 19 transmission in urine. Until then it was very much that I was a 50plus female fuddy duddy who was spoiling young folks fun.
Not looking forward to train travel in the ‘brave new post Covid world’.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

L+1 wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 4:07pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 3:33pm
I think inflicting your excessive alcohol consumption on others is widespread, sadly. I wasn’t trying to make a Scotland versus England point. Just shocked and saddened by the behaviour of the young men involved and the total lack of control displayed (and perhaps available) to the Scotrail employee on board.
Yes.

Ask any frontline worker in the police or ambulance staff or emergency departments.

Jonathan