Why am I so hungry day after cycling

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Susie

Why am I so hungry day after cycling

Post by Susie »

Hey,
I’m 18, I’m cycling around 9 hours a week ( 3 sessions a week) and the day after my cycles I’m soooo hungry like I can’t stop eating, I try eat whole foods and stay away from processed although they’re not cut out completely. Anyone have any advice on how to get this under control?
Many thanks
P.s
Sorry I can’t reply to anyone’s messages, but I can see what everyone’s put!
Last edited by Susie on 30 Jul 2021, 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Why am I so hungry day after cycling

Post by Jdsk »

Hi, Susie

Just wondering if you intended to respond to the help you were offered in the other threads that you started?

search.php?author_id=55880&sr=posts

Thanks

Jonathan
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Hi, Susie

Just wondering if you intended to respond to the help you were offered in the other threads that you started?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Susie wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 5:47pm Sorry I can’t reply to anyone’s messages, but I can see what everyone’s put!
Yes you can - either use the "Post reply" button at the bottom left of a message, or if you want to quote from one use the " icon at the top right. Note that you can delete any part of the quote you don't need.
Gerry557

Post by Gerry557 »

Susie wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 5:47pm Hey,
I’m 18, I’m cycling around 9 hours a week ( 3 sessions a week) and the day after my cycles I’m soooo hungry like I can’t stop eating, I try eat whole foods and stay away from processed although they’re not cut out completely. Anyone have any advice on how to get this under control?
Many thanks
P.s
So after 3 hrs riding, you feel more hungry the next day. Well you will be burning more calories on the day of the ride so maybe its your bodies way of telling you you need more food to replenish.

It's hard to determine on a thread as it depends on how hard you ride, the effort. You say healthy eating but how much a day do you normally have. Some ladies like to think of their figures rather than have their fill. There are some medical conditions such as diabetes.

Some riders carb load the day before. Make sure you restock during the ride and check your normal intake against your body size generally. Your metabolic rate might also have increased if the sessions are new
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Without knowing what your normal diet is, what you're eating during the ride (and at any cafe stop you have) and what kind of speed you're doing / the effort you're putting in, it's difficult to answer.

Short answer is it sounds like you're not eating enough on the ride itself but quite often the body will be unable to digest much during exercise and will sort of back-date it's food requirements to a point where you're resting.

Susie wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 5:47pm Sorry I can’t reply to anyone’s messages, but I can see what everyone’s put!
Scroll down to the bottom of the page there's a POST REPLY button on the lower left. Click that and the text box comes up to type into.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

If you were hungry then day before riding a question would be valid.You cant eat while cycling so naturally you are less and compensate the next day.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

mumbojumbo wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 4:06pm If you were hungry then day before riding a question would be valid.You cant eat while cycling so naturally you are less and compensate the next day.
"Can,t eat whilst cycling"????So much for the cafe stop then!!Presumably,Tour riders won,t be needing their bidons full of goodies either.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I am sorry but most riders dismount to visit cafes-when I have done long rides I do not eat till the finish- a legacy from visiting Morocco.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I have met a number of riders who say they don't eat solid food during their rides because of digestion issues and use powders mixed in with their water - SPIZ is one, so is Trailwise, but there are lots of others.
By the way, I love Morocco, the souk in Fez is a favourite.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

just have a decent breakfast with porridge,bacon,sausage,eggs,kippers,kedgeree and sauteed pots-and a few rounds of toast.!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

mumbojumbo wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 5:05pm I am sorry but most riders dismount to visit cafes-when I have done long rides I do not eat till the finish- a legacy from visiting Morocco.
Sorry,slightly cross wires,I,m assuming a ride includes the cafe stop.Notwithstanding,when I was doing 200km audaxes,I would have chocolate peanuts ,malt loaf in a bag on the bars,even liquidised rice pudding in a bottle.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Sounds a lot like dinner at Grans!
pq

Post by pq »

I find upping the amount of protein I eat and lowering the carbs helps with that. So post ride I'll eat nuts etc and have meals involving pulses, mushrooms, tofu and wholegrains. I don't eat any animal products - if you do I guess those would work too but I can't see them being as easy to digest as what I eat. The logic here is that protein makes you feel fuller for a given amount of food - and it certainly works that way for me. In addition you'll need more protein to repair the muscle damage exercise can create.
One link to your website is enough. G
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Susie wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 5:47pm Hey,
Many thanks
P.s
It’s perfectly normal reaction of the body to any form of endurance exercise, it will normalise overtime, I notice your training for lejog from your other post. Which I am guessing your pushing yourself for you might want to try protein shakes, or failing that increase the protein in your diet a little, eggs and milk are great for this. Basically your body is telling you to replenish stocks and looking for repair and build materials
NUKe