Rail disruption on routes to Penzance this week

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
RickH

Rail disruption on routes to Penzance this week

Post by RickH »

National Rail wrote:Disruption between Plymouth and Totnes until the end of the day Friday 3 September

CrossCountry between Plymouth and Leeds

Great Western Railway between Plymouth / Penzance and London Paddington, and also between Penzance and Cardiff Central

Yesterday (30th August) , a lorry collided with a bridge between Plymouth and Totnes. While assessment and repairs of the bridge and track take place, trains are running at a reduced speed on a single line between the stations.

Trains between Plymouth and Totnes may be cancelled, or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day on Friday 3 September.
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_ ... 78338.aspx
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Re: Rail disruption on routes to Penzance this week

Post by thirdcrank »

The bridge has certainly taken a whack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58387682
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well ....................

There are mixed messages this evening here as I type at this very moment.
Mrs Mick F is off on the train Up North tomorrow morning. 9:16 am from Gunnislake.

Depending on which info you look at - even on the GWR website - the trains can either be busses between Plymouth and Tiverton .......................... or not.
The info is inconsistent.
Best thing she can do, is get to Plymouth and then take it from there.

It seems that a bridge was hit by a lorry yesterday. Until the bridge and the line has been checked, there are restrictions.
Perhaps it's already been checked, and the info of rail disruptions is being updated. Due to be sorted by afternoon tomorrow 1st Sept .............. but maybe is already checked and sorted.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 8:55pm Well ....................

There are mixed messages this evening here as I type at this very moment.
Mrs Mick F is off on the train Up North tomorrow morning. 9:16 am from Gunnislake.

Depending on which info you look at - even on the GWR website - the trains can either be busses between Plymouth and Tiverton .......................... or not.
The info is inconsistent.
Best thing she can do, is get to Plymouth and then take it from there.

It seems that a bridge was hit by a lorry yesterday. Until the bridge and the line has been checked, there are restrictions.
Perhaps it's already been checked, and the info of rail disruptions is being updated. Due to be sorted by afternoon tomorrow 1st Sept .............. but maybe is already checked and sorted.
National Rail page I linked to (updated 18:38) says disruption until Friday. Looks like Crosscountry are running a bus replacement service & GWR are running a much reduced service (1 train per hour slowly over the bridge).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great Western Railway show a bus replacement, and also don't.
They also say that the line will be sorted by tomorrow afternoon ......... or Friday ......... or not mention it.

Two screenshots as of NOW from GWR website.
The first mentions the disruption, the second shows the normal railway timetable.
Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 21.18.45.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 21.17.00.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:

As I take her up to the station and she leaves Gunnislake tomorrow on the 09:16 and I'm off to Derriford Hospital for an appointment, I won't be able to come on here for a coal-face update. It'll be mid afternoon before I can get back to this with FACTS after I've been in contact with my lady to see how she's getting on.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Old bones lives close to the bridge in question. Can he give us an update. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hope the lorry driver's insurance payments were up to date... !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Info.
Hot of the press.

She made it to Plymouth by train from Gunnislake.
From there, she was on a coach to Tiverton Parkway and caught to train she would have been on towards Birmingham.
Due in at 15:16.

Heads further north after that.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bloody motorists, not reading the height signs. There are pictures on twitter showing the Tesco lorry making the entrance easily but not the smaller exit from the bridge. It's an old stone bridge carrying the railway over the road and the road climbs through the bridge which is why one side is lower clearance than the other. Stones have been dragged forwards out of the barrel and reportedly the track above is bent with concrete sleepers split in two by the crash. Some locals claim the bridge is a traffic-light-avoiding rat run which should be closed to HGVs or ideally all motor vehicles.

This is going to cost the lorry's insurers a few million, which I expect all Tesco shoppers will ultimately pay for.

Buses replace all trains across the bridge and it took a while to get enough.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Network Rail says some Westbound services are running at reduced speed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The trouble is ............
There are mixed messages, as I said yesterday.
Reduced services seem to be locally in Devon, but not beyond.

Main problem are the Beeching Cuts, not that I blame Dr Beeching, but the times as they had no idea how the system wanted rail.

If we in the SW had a second line, this issue now, wouldn't even be being discussed.

Branch lines to Paignton, Barnstaple, Gunnislake, Looe, Newquay, Falmouth, and St Ives, but they are only accessed via a single route from Taunton.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I believe that those of a Western Englandish persuasion would say 'Proper Job' in respect of the driver's work here...

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... 1606309120
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F has arrived at Preston and changing trains to go south to Ormskirk and to Maghull to stay with her older sister.
She's there for a primary school reunion for Burscough Methodist Primary School's 150th anniversary this weekend. Oldest pupils attending the reunion were there in 1939. :shock:

The family lived in Burscough - three girls - and Burscough-Girl is the middle one.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1647
We met 50years ago in January next year. Married 48years this November. :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Rail services expected to resume after Plymouth lorry-bridge crash

Tomorrow?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58431778