Return of the WIMPS

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Nickeveson

Return of the WIMPS

Post by Nickeveson »

Back in 2018 you may remember that the WIMPS rode lejog. In fact the link carried forwards over 130 pages...possibly one of the longest threads ever to feature on here.
Well, good news....they are back! A few of the original WIMPS are riding a Jogle in 2022. Keep an eye on here and we will post info for you to follow us....in case you missed us last time
philvantwo

Re: Return of the WIMPS

Post by philvantwo »

Will Mick F be riding?
Otherwise it'll just be an ordinary bike ride :|
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Strange question......Mick F helped us with planning and rode part of a stage with us but he was never one of the Wimps, he was a guest rider ( and a very welcome one....a lovely fella) with us
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Why jogle?

Unless you like headwinds!

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I rode it both ways in a fortnight, best bit was getting back to penzance and seeing St. Michaels mount!
Was looking at a property in bude yesterday, the selling agents details said ' nearest train station Gunnislake 25miles' . Wow, Mick F and me could be neighbours!! :lol: :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jamesh wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 7:54am Why jogle?

Cheers James
You don’t know when they are doing it do you?
This topic viewtopic.php?t=113043&start=15
Particularly a post from Andy K backs up my experience of working outdoors and meeting E2E riders on the road here in SW Scotland.
Perhaps a more significant variation in mean wind direction is the seasonal variation...

There are often several consecutive days of northeasterly winds in [April and May] because they are associated with blocking anticyclones to the north and west of the country. This persistence is an important feature as there is a high inter-annual variability about the mean especially in May so that in some years there may be several weeks of continuous northeasterlies.

This is unfortunate for cyclists going from Land’s End to John O’Groats in spring of such years, who may have been under the impression that they are more likely to get a following wind.
OK I know they aren’t doing it in spring so it’s a chance you take to see the route the other way on. The hills are different e.g. is Shap really a climb when coming from the North? You don’t notice it :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 8:38am I rode it both ways in a fortnight, best bit was getting back to penzance and seeing St. Michaels mount!
Was looking at a property in bude yesterday, the selling agents details said ' nearest train station Gunnislake 25miles' . Wow, Mick F and me could be neighbours!! :lol: :lol:
Bude?
30odd miles to Gunny Station and ditto to Barnstaple Station.
Depends where in Bude of course.

Blame Dr Beeching for closing the Bude railway line. :evil:

Nickeveson wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:44pm Strange question......Mick F helped us with planning and rode part of a stage with us but he was never one of the Wimps, he was a guest rider ( and a very welcome one....a lovely fella) with us
Thanks. :D
You're very kind.

I met you all east of Camelford on the A395 at Davidstow. Rode with you all to Okehampton, then rode home.
Following day, your van driver - sorry, I forget his name - picked me up at Gunnislake Station and drove me back to where you were camping, and I rode with you all to Taunton, where I got the train back home.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
130 pages?
I'm not quite sure what the OP Is thinking will happen with this post.
I can understand some of the route planning came from nonparticipants.
but I remember most of the posts were inter chat between participant members, along the lines of what they were planning to eat at the weekend before and after the event, so nothing to do with the actual ride at all.

I know I did turn up for one day along with the Mick, and enjoyed the ride and the company.
But I found majority of the post stuff very boring, well it would be wouldn't it, if it's just inter chat and not information on how to plan the ride et cetera which was done externally anyway.

Also I think probably this post is a bit premature as most of the riders of an age, by next year health might have changed quite dramatically for some.

Nearer the time, there will be more external interest on progress of the ride, from all of us who are external to the group.

Good luck with the ride anyway :)
I'm still wondering when I will be able to do it, with age comes in increasing health issues.
I met with Mick recently and I know that both of us would struggle at the rate we were doing on the stage from Okehampton to Taunton.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

The OP posted it just to let people know that the Wimps are doing a ride...nothing more, nothing less.
You posted that it is a bit premature....I disagree! God willing the ones that have said they want to do it will do it. You talk about the age thing which I find strange...as let's be honest a youngster starting next week could be dead by then!
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

A mans only as old as the bike he rides .
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Also I think probably this post is a bit premature as most of the riders of an age, by next year health might have changed quite dramatically for some.
You’re a bundle of fun NA you obviously don’t subscribe to the powers of positive thoughts.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Cheers James
The first week of the Wimps LEJOG we had north breezes.
Thank goodness as it was in the high 20s (centigrade) and the cooling breeze was very welcome.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My ride with the Wimps from home to Okehampton and back home.
Temperature is the dark blue.
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 14.50.05.png
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

Cheers James
That's a myth.

I actually thought JOGLE was better/easier than LEJOG - with JOGLE you start at the back end of nowhere and civilisation unrolls before you :D
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Spot on.

I've said many times on here, that after a LEJOG, what do you do then?
Camel hike back down south?
Most people in UK live in the south, so get the boring bit of the journey done first, and then enjoy the cycle south.
Get to LE and it's easy for friends and family to meet you.

Not that I'm decrying getting to JOG.
Maybe you're Scottish and your friends and family could get to JOG to meet you more easily.

Best thing, is to end up at the End which is nearer to home for you.

The Even Better thing, is to do the double. LEJOGLE or JOGLEJOG as after all, when you get to the END, you're sitting on the finest transport known to man .................... so ride it home! :D
Mick F. Cornwall