Conundrum

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Blondie

Re: Conundrum

Post by Blondie »

Just checked on Booking.com and for me this place is £35 including breakfast on May 31st 2022. It’s £45 without discount.

https://www.mountviewhotelcornwall.com/
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

You must have magical finger tips. Their web site says: It is just 15 minutes from Penzance Station. I wonder how they knew how fast I ride?
Unfortunately, it is in the wrong direction, but I will check this out, thanks for looking. :D
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Actually, viewing the web site and the hotel, it would be great to find such a B&B for every stop along the way, much nicer than an impersonal and larger establishment.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

31st May doesn't look too bad but the rest of that week has Spring Bank Holiday and Queen's Platinum Jubilee so there is likely to be a lot of demand for accommodation and the roads in the West Country are likely to be a nightmare.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

The holiday could be a problem, but I wonder why the jubilee celebrations would affect traffic?
If I can get hold of a Royal Standard flag and attach it to my bike, do you think I would get more respect from drivers?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Tiggertoo wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 9:49pm The holiday could be a problem, but I wonder why the jubilee celebrations would affect traffic?
As seems to be the great British tradition, first hint of a Bank Holiday, everyone feels the need to drive to the beach / the second home / a national park.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Tiggertoo wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:15pm You must have magical finger tips. Their web site says: It is just 15 minutes from Penzance Station. I wonder how they knew how fast I ride?
Unfortunately, it is in the wrong direction, but I will check this out, thanks for looking. :D
Surely 15 mins wrong way is neither here nor there if a nice place to stay at the right kind of price ? It’s 1.8 miles by bike from station according to Google Maps
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I agree, it is on my list. Thanks.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Tiggertoo, or anyone else reading this if your route (s) takes you near Skelmersdale W.Lanc's you are welcome to stop at my place. I recall that the Forum 'Wimps' rode on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Towpath for a bit, I'm only three miles from there and about ten miles from Wigan. Plenty of tools etc if you are having mechanical issues.
Stay in the house, or camp in the garden, nothing fancy but a free offer.
Good Luck.
Nu-Fogey
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Thanks Colin,

I may re-route to take up your very kind offer. I'll let you know if that works out.

Tigger.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’d prefer solo over a group although I’ve done a lot of touring with 2-3 friends and a fair bit solo but dealing with a schedule and being timetabled wouldn’t suit me although I’d appreciate not faffing around organising hotels and getting lost leaving large towns etc. I agree though- it’s a very personal decision and YMMV.

I’d note the dates for the “May” (my guess is this will be aligned with the jubilee) half term holiday and the jubilee celebrations and avoid travelling around them- it will be expensive for accommodation and the nice areas will be busy, other than that June is a nice time to cycle as it’s not peak season and you generally get nice weather and long light days.

The other thing I do now to simplify my tours is to lean on pre prepared routes- often not by me so I can rely on the main effort having been done by someone else and then just fine tune it for my needs. Cycle travel is pretty awesome in this respect but cicerone could also be a good choice from what I read (I haven’t done an end to end as I prefer the weather and food in France). Again YMMV.

Edit: the half term holiday looks like 28 May to 5 June for many, there will be lots of Chelsea tractors blasting round tiny lanes in Cornwall with the drivers distracted by their offspring. Schools are back then until late July so the rest of June should be good.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 8 Jan 2022, 7:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Lejog routes are pretty straightforward tbh.

Mick F route through Cornwall a38,:a49 or further west. A6,

East or West Scotland... Finding accommodation is the bigger issue, this then dictates routes....

I got to mid day one day and was starting to panic...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

There is no "right" answer and whilst I've not toured in UK, other tours for me, organised would drive me mad, a few reasons:
  • some days I'm full of energy and go further, other days low on energy and go shorter
  • pull a muscle and on your own you can rest a day but in a group and you're on the bus and thus have not done LELOG
  • on your own you meet others, you are more likely to go over and talk to others and they are more likely to come over and talk to you
  • you can adapt your route/cycle times according to the weather e.g. depart 6am to finish before rain due at 15:00
Loads of other reasons that I regard as important but different people enjoy different aspects and are in different situations (e.g. having to finish by a set date to get back to work).

Ian