Conundrum

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Tiggertoo

Re: Conundrum

Post by Tiggertoo »

:roll:
Last edited by Tiggertoo on 13 Nov 2021, 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin146

Post by colin146 »

In 2012 I attempted a solo Lejog. Wasn’t planning on it but got made redundant at short notice and all organised tours were full. Accommodation sorted (can be very difficult high season) so set off giving myself 14 days and roughly following one of the popular guide books. Packed it in at Oxenholme after 8 days and caught the train home. Why, a few reasons, wasn’t as fit as I should have been, but more honestly the shear monotony of long days in the saddle without company. That was ok for a few days, time to reflect on life the universe etc but then the realisation that never in my home life or work environment did I spend say 8-9 hours alone so why was I doing it on a bike?

Fast forward to 2021 and retirement. Joined a 14 day organised tour and had a great time. Accommodation sorted, breakfast sorted, lunch sorted along with snack stations mid morning and mid afternoon from the support van. 22 on our tour of varying degrees of fitness and experience. Folk simply went at their own pace or in small groups of similar speed. Evening time a mix of fixed dining due remote location or free to do own thing. Plus on a tour the ability to discuss the day with like minded individuals.

So certainly an organised tour gets the thumbs up from myself.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Tiggertoo wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 5:39pm
Have to admit I'd go alone with camping gear. If you're adverse to camping, perhaps it'd be useful to ensure you've an occasional hotel booked in advance to offer some certainty of somewhere to stay and then "chance" it on the other nights.

One of the benefits of cycle touring as opposed to backpacking, is the fact that doing an extra 20 miles at the end of a day to find somewhere to stay or eat on route, isn't a huge issue, whilst when backpacking, it's a dreadful prospect :wink:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

colin146 wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 8:37pm In 2012 I attempted a solo Lejog. Wasn’t planning on it but got made redundant at short notice and all organised tours were full. Accommodation sorted (can be very difficult high season) so set off giving myself 14 days and roughly following one of the popular guide books. Packed it in at Oxenholme after 8 days and caught the train home. Why, a few reasons, wasn’t as fit as I should have been, but more honestly the shear monotony of long days in the saddle without company. That was ok for a few days, time to reflect on life the universe etc but then the realisation that never in my home life or work environment did I spend say 8-9 hours alone so why was I doing it on a bike?

Fast forward to 2021 and retirement. Joined a 14 day organised tour and had a great time. Accommodation sorted, breakfast sorted, lunch sorted along with snack stations mid morning and mid afternoon from the support van. 22 on our tour of varying degrees of fitness and experience. Folk simply went at their own pace or in small groups of similar speed. Evening time a mix of fixed dining due remote location or free to do own thing. Plus on a tour the ability to discuss the day with like minded individuals.

So certainly an organised tour gets the thumbs up from myself.
8-9 hrs day away from work or home life - isn't that the definition of pleasure!!

Each to thier own!
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Really down to your preferences and temperament.

As to accommodation costs. Assuming it’s just accommodation then £90-100 a night average is somewhat on the high side. Outside of school holidays and weekends and busy tourist areas you can nearly always find something for around £50 a day or two ahead. Book your first 3 days to get yourself started then book the rest 1 or 2 days ahead once you know how you are going.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Four of us did LEJOG this year. We all said we would have found the monotony of a solo LEJOG too much to take and we would never do it

Having a chat and a joke over breakfast, cafe stops, dinner etc turned a challenging endeavour into a really enjoyable holiday
puffin

Post by puffin »

Blondie wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 6:06pm Really down to your preferences and temperament.

As to accommodation costs. Assuming it’s just accommodation then £90-100 a night average is somewhat on the high side. Outside of school holidays and weekends and busy tourist areas you can nearly always find something for around £50 a day or two ahead. Book your first 3 days to get yourself started then book the rest 1 or 2 days ahead once you know how you are going.
That would be cool, but I've found accommodation close to your route is difficult to come by in peak season, I'm already limited in my choice for some parts of the journey in June.
puffin

Post by puffin »

nickyboy wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 10:28pm Four of us did LEJOG this year. We all said we would have found the monotony of a solo LEJOG too much to take and we would never do it

Having a chat and a joke over breakfast, cafe stops, dinner etc turned a challenging endeavour into a really enjoyable holiday
That rings true, but going solo you always meet up with others who join you for part of the journey. One time I went with a friend and found it difficult to work out when and how to ride two abreast :) Mind you, by Knutsford he jacked it in due to injury...but that could have been due to my company :) . He also kept shouting at drivers who he felt were too close, I reckoned we were going to get a slap before long.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Tiggertoo wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 5:39pm I am in a quandary (the reason to venture onto this board after a long self-imposed hiatus).

My LeJog will be next June and I am wrestling with going with a tour or going alone. The venturer in me says: go alone, the pragmatic in me says: go with the tour.

Going alone means arranging overnight accommodation - either in advance or on the run, so to speak, and going on the tour means, it is all taken care of.

Going alone, I suspect the overnight accommodation will be in the range of - say - 900 pounds for 9 - 10 days, thus saving 1,000 pounds by not taking the tour. 1,000 pounds + or - is a deal of money to pay for convenience. I could buy another bike for that. :roll:

Without going into specifics, do the forum denizens have any useful thoughts?
Do you know about Warm Showers, the web-based group where cyclists host other cyclists who are doing long tours like yours? It is ideal for lone cyclists, as it also ensures you get to meet other cyclists each day and share experiences with them, as well as getting your accommodation for free. You need to give hosts some notice of your wish to stay (usually a couple of days, sometimes more) and they will say whether they can host you or not, and having agreed to, you then arrive and be a good guest. :)

We have been hosts for many years and have put up numerous cyclists, from those cycling round the world to those just out for a couple of day's tour, and both us and them have always enjoyed the experience.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Thanks Jon,

Something else to put into my 'possible' options.

I rode across Iowa a couple of times : RAGBRAI, and stayed in a host house the first night and met the most wonderful family who I maintained contact with for many years after. Definitely one of my better tours and much more rewarding than any hotel room.

If you can mange to buy ten houses between LE and J'oG at 100 mile intervals before next June, I will be delighted. Send me the addresses once you have this covered. :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So plenty of time to work out the logistics of what you could do and how to do it :)

But what to take with you.........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

True. When backpacking I really pare down what I carry - since it is all to go on my back, but I suspect that bikepacking is going to present an entirely new challenge.

Oddly enough, of all the bike tours I have done - at least 5 riding across Colorado (about 600 miles each time over 7 days with miles of climbing, and camping each night) - every one of them was supported with the tour operator toting the bags, so weight and content restriction was never an issue. However, riding bottom to top of Britain sans support, will be.

I'll probably take 3 pairs of everything - jerseys, shorts, socks, gloves, rain gear - but it had better not rain :evil: I often ride in rain only because it starts once I am on my way, but I really do not appreciate sharing the road with traffic when it is tippling down.
Plus, after riding shorts or trousers, shirt, sandals, plus toiletries, that should do it.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

I would love to ride LEJOG alone, but do not dare, in case of accident. I am not used to riding on your side of the road, and I think it would be too dangerous for me. There is just way more traffic than there used to be, and I am a lot older than I should be for this. Therefore, if I were you, I would find a partner, and if you can't find anybody, go on the tour (which one is a whole other question).

I recently did a week's completely independent, unsupported tour in Canada, here, with an old friend I haven't seen much of for years and years, and wasn't sure I would get along with all day, every day. It was way better than expected, and we look forward to more of the same sort of thing, if he can get away from his busy schedule (which he often cannot). It is fun planning possible destinations, meanwhile.

It can't be that hard to find and book accommodation yourself if you go independently; just put the time in, and save 1000 GBP.
puffin

Post by puffin »

If its any help I can PM anyone my accommodation list. I'm following the Cycling UK Bed and Breakfast Route, but doing it over 14 days which will not fit in with everybody.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Puffin, I would be interested in seeing it. Please PM it to me.

Thanks.