That new bike itch………

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
BenTHP

That new bike itch………

Post by BenTHP »

Howdy all,

Long term lurker here, hope you’re all well.

I wasent sure if this was the correct sub forum to put this in but I’m due to take part in the RAB in September on a charity place, excited (and slightly scared) is an understatement and I need some advice, if that’s alright.

I currently have a Fuji Gran Fondi Classico 1.3 2017 Model and it’s served me well, lots of good memories. Some great long rides, I’ve done London to Paris, due to do London To Amsterdam in June.

But the RAB is a whole different ball game and I’m not sure if it’s up to the challenge.

Ideally I’d like to upgrade what I have but I know it’s not always that simple. I’m used to break pads but I know disks are best. I could sell my bike to part fund a new one. I reckon I could get around £600 and I’d have to finance the rest depending on cost of a new bike but I wouldn’t know where to look now.

I haven’t kept up with current bike trends so I’m unsure what I should be looking at. I’ve had my eye on a Ribble - https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... l-rival22/ but I’ve read some grumbling about ribble lately.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

The specs of my bike are:

FRAME: C5 high-modulus carbon, integrated head tube w/ 1 1/2" lower, oversized PIIS BB86 shell, double water bottle mounts, oversized ETC chainstays w/ replaceable hanger

FORK: FC-440 carbon w/ tapered carbon steerer & alloy dropout

CRANKSET: Oval Concepts 300, forged 6066 arms, Praxis rings, 50/34T

BOTTOM BRACKET: Press fit BB86

FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, braze-on mount

REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, 11-speed

SHIFTERS: Shimano 105, STI, 11-speed

CASSETTE: Shimano 105, 11-28T, 11-speed

CHAIN: KMC X11, 11-speed w/ MissingLink

WHEELSET: Vera Corsa DPM27, double wall, 24/28h, Formula road hubs

TIRES: Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 x 25c, 26tpi

BRAKESET: R540 forged-alloy dual pivot w/ cartridge pads

BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano 105, STI, 11-speed

HANDLEBAR: Oval Concepts 300S Shallow Drop, 6061 alloy, 31.8mm clamp, 133mm compact drop

STEM: Oval Concepts 313, 3D-forged 6061 stem body, +/-7°
cyclop

Re: That new bike itch………

Post by cyclop »

RAB ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cyclop wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 9:09amRAB ?
I guessed Ride Across Britain:
https://www.rideacrossbritain.com

Jonathan
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

£1850 to sleep 9 nights under canvas?
£205 per night!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

OK well ignoring the occasional idiot who'll crop up to tell you why you shouldn't be doing RAB... :roll:

There's nothing wrong with that bike for RAB - I've done the event many times as one of the Ride Leaders and I've seen people on all sorts from stuff bought 2nd / 3rd hand off ebay for £100 right through to £10,000 superbikes.

It's predominantly road bikes but there's always a few touring / audax bikes in there, some hybrids, occasionally someone on an MTB with slick tyres fitted. Gravel bikes (often with more roadie type tyres) are quite popular now as well. I've seen a few folk on proper old-school classics as well - one guy this year had an immaculate handbuilt frame with pristine 9sp Campag on it which gives you some idea of how retro it was. He was a super strong rider too.

The main thing (as for any tour really) is that the bike is comfortable and reliable. It's all very well having the latest aero frame but if you're in agony from sitting on the saddle or being bent double over the bars, you're going to spend 9 days being tortured.

If you want a new bike, fine but don't buy one "for RAB". Buy one because you want / need a new bike and it'll give you the same spell of good memories and rides over the next few years. Bear in mind the current stock / supply issues too. You don't want to order something now and then be waiting until August for it! Ideally the majority of your preparation for the ride should be done on the bike you plan to use for it, just to ensure the position and contact points are all good.

There's a fairly long-running thread here about RAB too if it's of interest.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=46635
scottg

Post by scottg »

philvantwo wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 4:58pm £1850 to sleep 9 nights under canvas?
£205 per night!!
Yes that is for the poors, the luxe version is an extra 100 quid per diem and includes a domestique and team car support.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Looks a nice bike. Awe

I'm guessing you don't need any luggage carrying.

I'd want some better wheels than the formula hubbed wheels for the money perhaps shimano?

Also light blue will get dirty very quickly!

Cheers James
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

rareposter said: "I've done the event many times as one of the Ride Leaders"

Is there any benefit in doing that ride as a leader? I assume you still are able to ride the full length?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Says on the website you get free food and free camping including your own 'pop-up' tent!
So basically you get a free holiday?
Theres too many terms and conditions including cut off times and 3 rides in the broom wagon and you're out
What do they think it is......The Tour De France??
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Some people on here need to have a long look at themselves.

Who cares how much it is or what the T&Cs are? It's not you doing the ride. I'm willing to bet that if the OP had said it was a Cycling UK organised LEJOG or a small group of friends, there'd be helpful comments about kit, the bike and so on.

It was a fairly basic question about the bike, not a request for your opinion on the event.

:roll:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

rareposter wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 4:37pm Some people on here need to have a long look at themselves.

Who cares how much it is or what the T&Cs are? It's not you doing the ride. I'm willing to bet that if the OP had said it was a Cycling UK organised LEJOG or a small group of friends, there'd be helpful comments about kit, the bike and so on.

It was a fairly basic question about the bike, not a request for your opinion on the event.

:roll:
Well said.

OP, your bike will be just fine, only buy a new one if you fancy it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

BenTHP wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 11:19pm Howdy all,

Long term lurker here, hope you’re all well.

I wasent sure if this was the correct sub forum to put this in but I’m due to take part in the RAB in September on a charity place, excited (and slightly scared) is an understatement and I need some advice, if that’s alright.

I currently have a Fuji Gran Fondi Classico 1.3 2017 Model and it’s served me well, lots of good memories. Some great long rides, I’ve done London to Paris, due to do London To Amsterdam in June.

But the RAB is a whole different ball game and I’m not sure if it’s up to the challenge.

Ideally I’d like to upgrade what I have but I know it’s not always that simple. I’m used to break pads but I know disks are best. I could sell my bike to part fund a new one. I reckon I could get around £600 and I’d have to finance the rest depending on cost of a new bike but I wouldn’t know where to look now.

I haven’t kept up with current bike trends so I’m unsure what I should be looking at. I’ve had my eye on a Ribble - https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... l-rival22/ but I’ve read some grumbling about ribble lately.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

The specs of my bike are:

FRAME: C5 high-modulus carbon, integrated head tube w/ 1 1/2" lower, oversized PIIS BB86 shell, double water bottle mounts, oversized ETC chainstays w/ replaceable hanger

FORK: FC-440 carbon w/ tapered carbon steerer & alloy dropout

CRANKSET: Oval Concepts 300, forged 6066 arms, Praxis rings, 50/34T

BOTTOM BRACKET: Press fit BB86

FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, braze-on mount

REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, 11-speed

SHIFTERS: Shimano 105, STI, 11-speed

CASSETTE: Shimano 105, 11-28T, 11-speed

CHAIN: KMC X11, 11-speed w/ MissingLink

WHEELSET: Vera Corsa DPM27, double wall, 24/28h, Formula road hubs

TIRES: Vittoria Zaffiro, 700 x 25c, 26tpi

BRAKESET: R540 forged-alloy dual pivot w/ cartridge pads

BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano 105, STI, 11-speed

HANDLEBAR: Oval Concepts 300S Shallow Drop, 6061 alloy, 31.8mm clamp, 133mm compact drop

STEM: Oval Concepts 313, 3D-forged 6061 stem body, +/-7°
I'd keep the old bike if the only issue is the lack of disc brakes. Disc brakes have their benefits, especially in the wet, but they also have their drawbacks. Your current bike has brakes that are easier to maintain on the road, if you need it. You may need a change of brake pads half way up, which is easier with calliper brakes.