Some Observations by a YHA warden

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
meic

Re: Some Observations by a YHA warden

Post by meic »

and the odd hostel (if you can find one).

I tried last night for three Sunday rides in December which are starting in range of two Pembrokeshire hostels.
All "fully booked" both hostels, dorms, rooms and camping.
This isnt a sudden influx of individual tourists.
Yma o Hyd
althebike

Post by althebike »

On my joggle, I mostly booked singe bed b&b, I got into a routine of washing cycling gear, shower, eat, organise food and clothes for following day, then switch off and rest. In the hostel ,I felt I did not have the room to spread out and organise myself, I felt guilty using the loo in the night incase I disturbed anyone, keeping most of my stuff packed I was never quite sure if I had forgotten anything I needed for the next day, the people there spent most of the time messing with phones, the big advantages were the price, and that it was the only place I could find for the night .
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:
and the odd hostel (if you can find one).

I tried last night for three Sunday rides in December which are starting in range of two Pembrokeshire hostels.
All "fully booked" both hostels, dorms, rooms and camping.
This isnt a sudden influx of individual tourists.

Great. So what is it? A policy to rent out whole hostels if they can?

Way back when, I stayed in a few hostels and had a not-great experience with other guests in the dorm making noises in the night and so on. I'd rather not do that again. I'd prefer guesthouses or B&Bs despite sometimes uneasy interactions with the hosts - hopefully, it's very unlikely that they come into your room!

The last few years, I've stayed in some hostels but as part of a cycling group that has booked whole small dorms. That's been OK and I don't think there was any feeling you can't spread your gear out or get up in the dead of night if needed - at least three snored, so we all knew to take earplugs if we need them!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I simply cannot share rooms, even when on some of the longer rides a room is required and it is suggested we share rooms to cut the cost. After a few years in RAF barracks in the early days I decided I'd had enough of that.

So, it's a bivvy for me even though that's not the most comfortable but I have backpacked enough in the Sierras to get used to it. But I do accept that hiking in the dry mountains is a lot different than in wet climates where rising and packing wet gear is not going to be the most pleasant way to spend a few days. I might go for B&B's - preferably farm houses - or cheaper hotels. If I'm going to be going to bed late and rising early I don't see the value of spending much money for a bed, but the loo and shower would be nice.

Maybe campgrounds?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Some (most? /all?) hostels do exclusive bookings particularly in the winter months. Ideal for groups over a weekend & better earner for the hostel.

I don't suppose Travellodge will be too anxious to compete for facilities in Upper Ennerdale? :D admittedly Black Sail Hut isn't the most cycle friendly location unless you don't mind going back the way you came (or you are an ardent roughstuffer/"bikepacker", depending on your vintage).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Black Sail is doubtless winterized and cannae be opened without a lot of work :?

Stayed at Coniston Coppermines for Christmas once, +1

Sometimes I think nearly everything has changed about the YHA, back then: young people, own steam, unbooked, cheap, simple
Now old people, car parks, expensive :?

I am a YHA life member, GBP 50 about 35 years ago :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
puffin

Post by puffin »

horizon wrote:
puffin wrote: I was too old for YHA's

Or too well off.

Retired school teacher??? Really???
horizon

Post by horizon »

puffin wrote:
horizon wrote:
puffin wrote: I was too old for YHA's

Or too well off.

Retired school teacher??? Really???

There's a small single room at Hark to Bounty for £35 per night. That's a really good rate (and includes breakfast) but even that over three nights would leave you about £60.00 poorer compared to a hostel. Yes, people stay in YHAs because they are cheap. Yes, there are other facilities but whether they make up for having to share a dorm is a moot point. So yes, well enough off for a B and B.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher