JOGLEd in 7!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ericonabike

JOGLEd in 7!

Post by ericonabike »

On Friday 22 August I became the 1 millionth (just guessing!) cyclist to complete an End to End. But for me it was my first and is therefore completely unique! It was a seven day affair as that's about all I had time for, unsupported and solo. I was raising money for The Eve Appeal as well, a charity funding research into ovarian cancer - check out http://www.justgiving.com/pedallingforjoy to find out more.

It started and ended in bright sunshine, but had some horrendous weather in between, notably on Day 2 from Inverness to Kinross. Which was also the worst road of the journey - I would not wish the A9 between those places on my worst enemy.

Much of the route was along A-roads, which apart from the A9 were at worst ok, and at best excellent. The A7 between Edinburgh and Carlisle is for most of its length a great cycling road. I also used roads that have been bypassed, making them very cycle-friendly. Surprisingly to me, the A6 falls into this category for a fair distance, with the M6 being the bypass. thanks forumers, Mick F in particular, for tips on this aspect- loved the old A30 to Launceston!

Overall, my E2E covered 1411 km and took 70h 30m door to door, giving me the average of 20 kph I'd been aiming for. Actual riding time was 61h 45 m, just under 23kph.

The numbers are important, as they enabled me to do the ride in the time I'd set aside. But the memories are what really count - being alone at the top of Shap Fell, and in the middle of Wigan's rush hour on the same day; coming across two superb little breweries by total chance; a taxi driver handing me a fiver for the charity as he drove past.

No mechanicals, no punctures, thankfully, as I would have found it difficult to make time up - 200+ km a day is about my limit.

Finally, if anyone is deliberating whether or not to go for it - listen the the advice of others, but then just take the plunge. It's your E2E!
chrisoleary

Post by chrisoleary »

Well done mate, that's quite an achievment.
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Well done, Eric!

I particularly loved your memories.

Re the generous and thoughtful taxi driver: isn't that just the sort of thing that restores your faith in human nature? (Should it need restoring .....)
Dee
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Well done, an excellent achievement!!
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

Thanks all - Dee, re human nature - I was also carrying signs that read 'honk to support'. By the end of the trip I'd clocked nearly 500 honks! Each one very welcome, and each one establishing some positive PR for cyclists. Started to think we should all carry similar signs at all times...
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

One word, 'respect'!
360fix

Post by 360fix »

...and 'admiration'