Finished, Now 27 Stone…. - now with pictures!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Pizza_man

Finished, Now 27 Stone…. - now with pictures!

Post by Pizza_man »

I did it. :lol: 23 day’s, 16 day’s riding, had a few rest day’s inc 5 day’s at work in the middle (which was the hardest bit, 2 all nighters as thing had gone wrong while I was away, was good to get back to ridding for a break…). 1082 miles, averaged 68 miles per day on the day’s I rode.

Think the rain clouds where following me round the country rained every day I rode except my last one! It varied from heavy thunderstorms near the start (08/08/08 ) few showers per day in the middle, and drizzle up the wet coast of Scotland (finished on 30/08/08 ). But in fairness some days where mostly dry and did have the wind in my favour most of the way… Could definitely have been worse.

Only problems I had where 2 puncture, not normal classed as a problem but I had brought a new small pump with a pressure gauge for the journey (tested before start) and it broke the first time I used it, meaning I had to wait about an hour for some one to come along with the right pump. Brought a new £20 pump in Penzance, 2nd puncture 12 mile from Fort Williams and pump as water logged (been strapped to my bike) got it working but it was very slow, took 45 mins pump up to 30 PSI at which point 2nd pump broke and let the air out my tyre, 3 ½ hour delay while I hitched back to bike stop.

But the challenges just added to the sense of achievement. I remember shortly after Oakhampton seeing some flat roads and blue sky’s for the first time, suddenly found myself cycling 20+ miles per hour and could not wipe the smile off my face.

Planned to mostly wild camp, but did a few more B+B than I planed £25-£35 with great breakfasts and a chance to dry out, defiantly worth it.

Something I found useful was a second hand watch I brought off eBay for £15 which included and altimeter, barometer and temperature gauge. I fixed it to my handle bars. Barometer helped to predict the weather and how long showers would last, useful for working out whether worth ducking into a bus shelter or pub or putting on extra layers of clothing on. Altimeter and temperature gauges gave me useful info, both to keep me metal amused and help work out whether the fact my average pace was reducing was down tiredness or could be accounted for by altitude gains.

Would recommend it to anyone, I was about 32 stones when I decided I wanted to do this, If I can do it I would say almost anyone is capable.
Last edited by Pizza_man on 4 Sep 2008, 5:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

Wow, well done you! :)

Shame it rained so much but sounds like you had a great time anyway. Quite an achievement, congratulations.
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

hi Si

its laurie.....from the train home :lol:

you did well mate! be good to see how your pics turn out....ive had some back from the photoshop and lots of them just show drizzle up north...and sun down south :lol:

i managed to get on the same train as you...from inverness to edinburgh....but i was busy chatting up a scottish lass :wink: :lol:

another 2 trains later and i got back at about 11ish....was hell being on the train ALL DAY!

did you do anything fun in Edinburgh??
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
vernon

Re: Finished, Now 27 Stone….

Post by vernon »

Pizza_man wrote:I did it. :lol: 23 day’s, 16 day’s riding, had a few rest day’s inc 5 day’s at work in the middle (which was the hardest bit, 2 all nighters as thing had gone wrong while I was away, was good to get back to ridding for a break…). 1082 miles, averaged 68 miles per day on the day’s I rode.

Would recommend it to anyone, I was about 32 stones when I decided I wanted to do this, If I can do it I would say almost anyone is capable.

Well done

It's nice to be able to consider myself a lightweight when compared with your ride.

When are you going to do the ride in the opposite direction? :lol:
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

Hi Laurie,

Small world (not that you might thing that after cycling from one end of our small country to the other)... Did not realise we had already spoken when I met you, you were the first to wish me luck on one of my earlier posts.

Glad you got on the train from Inverness, did not see you on it and was concerned they had not let you on. How’s the dog?

Will defiantly be doing the JOGLE at some point (probably with a mate), but am seeking a new challenge (find having a challenge to focus on helps my fitness and weight loss), considering walking the Pennine way as I live near the start and wanted to do it as a kid, but the thought of walking does not excite me as much as cycling. Thinking about doing something abroad, want to keep it fairly cheap and like thing fairly flat (don’t mind the odd hill but do not want to tackle any mountain rangers). Considering cycling along the Mediterranean Coast, also like the idea of cycling from somewhere back to home, possibly Germany? But I am open to suggestion.

Have attached a few Pic’s, they where only taking with my phone. Got a proper one taken at the end with the sign but have not received it yet, being posted to me.

yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

When are you going to do the ride in the opposite direction?

you mean he didn't ride back ??

well done I just wish I could do that
hulver

Post by hulver »

Congratulations!

The LEJOG plan diet seems to work quite well :)
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i too am searching for a new challenge! this saturday if got a 5mile x-country run....my other sporting love! and a few other running races...these are enough to keep my motivation high

how was your commute time??? also how did you find the handling of the bike...after riding it for 2 weeks fully laden??

i found it really hard. standing up to pedal make the bike swerve all over the road! beacuse the bike suddenly seemed so light!

my commute time seems near the same...yet feels faster as ive ridden so slow for the last few weeks! :lol:

seems everyone missed me...the pets more than anybody! :lol:
dog was glad to have his walking companion back :lol: and cat was glad of her cuddles again. family & friends were all amazed by what id done. a few work mates are a bit non-believing?!?! :lol: the pics should clear all that up! :D

out to running club tonite! thats were ill notice if theres been an increase in fitness! albeit i havent run for three weeks...but the legs have done more than enough exercise :D
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
thirdcrank

Re: Finished, Now 27 Stone….

Post by thirdcrank »

Pizza_man wrote: If I can do it I would say almost anyone is capable.

Well done, but don't sell yourself short. Most people may have the potential to do something like this but long distance cycling is about a lot more than physical fitness. So much of this is a matter of willpower and determination to succeed, especially when things are going wrong. An awful lot of very fit people would balk at the idea of cycling to the end of the street, let alone getting up each morning to face all day riding a bike and the next day and the next.... I also expect you have shown a lot more determination than most, not least in having a thick skin.

Every End to End Ride is an achievement. I think you are right to look for further challenges, it's so easy take it a bit steady after a ride like this but it's a pity to lose the fitness built up doing it.

Once again. well done.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree with TC.

Quote from my LEJOG and back blog ( www.lejogandback.blogspot.com )
Anyway, there you are. I did it. I'm no athlete - never have been. Some of you may think I'm super-fit - I don't think so. All it took was guts and determination.
And a good bike!
Thank you, all.
Mick Fairhurst. February 2007

So a hearty WELL DONE from me too!
Mick F. Cornwall
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

Laurie , I too was also surprised by my commute time, very average even thought it felt like I was going for it. Think it was due to the fact I have been cycling a sustainable pace for so long that mentally was not in gear to push the way you can on a shorter journey, also not sure if legs are fully recovered after 4 days, but they felt normal 2 day after the finish.

Went to the gym a few days ago and beat my previous best on one of the machines by a good margin :lol: . Hope you get a personal best on the run.

Most notice my lack of bags at the end of the run, I pitched my tent at the JOG campsite, left my stuff in it, then cycled to Duncansby Head lighthouse, (couple of miles further east than JOG). Felt like I had got out of a fully loaded van, into a sports car! Is it strange that the first thing I did when I finished was to go for a bike ride?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have to remember that cycling day after day may not be fun for some people. I took about an 80 mile detour on route to spend a few days with my sister, some people could not understand this, she wanted to fetch me in the car, but I was doing this for fun so more miles equals more fun!

But I do not what you are saying about the determination. This goal has been quite a large part of my life for along time now I really did not what to fail, feel so sorry for the people who cannot finish it due to injures or other reasons that prevent you making it.

My willpower is very strange, so strong in some ways, so weak in others…
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

lauriematt wrote:out to running club tonite! thats were ill notice if theres been an increase in fitness! albeit i havent run for three weeks...but the legs have done more than enough exercise :D

I doubt it, cycling and running seem to be mutally exclusive in muscle terms. The only thing you can do is concentrate on the current one for a few weeks. At least CV wise they both hold up.

I too will be running - although we're doing 1 mile sprints for the club standards - I really really hate short distances they're just so painful. I'd much sooner run a half...

Oh, and well done Pizza man - top effort, you should be proud.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Congratulations! I think you've shown amazing fortitude - I doubt I would have had the will to continue if I had to stop halfway to go to work.

pizzaman wrote:Will defiantly be doing the JOGLE at some point (probably with a mate), but am seeking a new challenge (find having a challenge to focus on helps my fitness and weight loss), considering walking the Pennine way as I live near the start and wanted to do it as a kid, but the thought of walking does not excite me as much as cycling. Thinking about doing something abroad, want to keep it fairly cheap and like thing fairly flat (don’t mind the odd hill but do not want to tackle any mountain rangers). Considering cycling along the Mediterranean Coast, also like the idea of cycling from somewhere back to home, possibly Germany? But I am open to suggestion.

If you live at the start of the Pennine Way, then that's probably Edale - but possibly Kirk Yetholm. You should be used to hills! Get thee over the Alps!

Or...the North Sea Cycle Route looks good. Without being brutally hilly.
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Well done, Pizza_Man!
Dee
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Pizza Man, you are a total inspiration! :lol:

Well done, a fantastic achievement. I fancy doing LEJOG before Im 50. So I have 5 years to plan this... think about it... and have a go.

I understand the average distance that the general population of UK travel by bike is just a rubbish 50 miles in their life time! :shock:

Like you, it was a health issue that took me to my cycle. My only regret is not doing it years ago... all that wasted time - gone...

Anyway. YOu have really inspired me. My hubby too... He couldnt believe a 32 stone chap could do this by cycling... Just goes to show what determination and focus is able to do when you put your mind to something. YOu are a star!

My only fear about doing LEJOG is running out of goals.... That to me is the biggie goal of all, as I really cant see me doing the world! :lol: I have done 2 long distance rides this summer, and after each one, I have suffered what I can only call a cycle crash afterwards... a sort of anti climax and minor depression having done the event...

Home commitments ment I was unable to ride by bike for nearly a week!

Its so important to get back on that bike as soon as possible.... I rode this week to work on my commuite in stair rod rain, and loved every minute of it again.... :lol:

Well bloomin' done again... Whats next on the horizon for you?

Mary