Which way to go !!!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mike777

Which way to go !!!

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

Is the norm to go South to North...???

Wondered the reasons if so

Mike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good question!
Where do you live? Is a better question.

If you lived at One End, you could cycle to The Other End.
But then how do you get back?
Cycle home again!
www.lejogandback.blogspot.com

Best thing is to live in Scotland IMO, as it's more difficult to get to/from JOG than it is to get to/from LE. If you live nearer to JOG, you can get a lift up there, or even cycle it!

Other than that, your question is to do with the best way to do the trip. Some may say we have prevailing winds blowing you north, others may say you'd be better doing the Cornish legs last, when you're nice and fit.

Choices, choices, choices.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike777

Post by Mike777 »

Mick F wrote:Good question!

Cycle home again!

Best thing is to live in Scotland IMO, as it's more difficult to get to/from JOG than it is to get to/from LE. If you live nearer to JOG, you can get a lift up there, or even cycle it!

Other than that, your question is to do with the best way to do the trip. Some may say we have prevailing winds blowing you north, others may say you'd be better doing the Cornish legs last, when you're nice and fit.

Thanks..........actually live in Oxford. I fancy a trip up the genta green and then return to Oxford following the route North to South and then cutting across around Glocester as a sort of training trip. Having real problems understand how best to get there by train....it all sounds so confusing as the last thing I want to do is loose by bike before I even get there.

Regards

Mike
robgul

Post by robgul »

Mike777 wrote:
Mick F wrote:Good question!

Cycle home again!

Thanks..........actually live in Oxford. I fancy a trip up the genta green and then return to Oxford following the route North to South and then cutting across around Glocester as a sort of training trip. Having real problems understand how best to get there by train....it all sounds so confusing as the last thing I want to do is loose by bike before I even get there.

Regards

Mike

Have a look at www.beewee.org.uk and our Rob & Joe's JOGLE link (under Boys' Outings) ... as the name implies we did N-S and went through Gloucester.

The route and some other stuff is also available on a CD for a modest donation to MacRide/Macmillan Cancer Support

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
braz

Post by braz »

Hello all, back from France! 1000 miles in two weeks, quiet roads, few hills, cheap wine, and not much traffic! A good alternative to the LeJog!

Oxford is a really good place to start from - having lived in that area years ago I can confirm this! Early train to Penzance via Reading, which gives you time to ride out to LE and back inland again as far as you want to (or can!) go for your first nights stay. Depending on your daily run, you should make it back to Redruth at least - where there are a number of b & b's. This set me up for some 80 mile days quite nicely, which meant a 11 day trip plus one to get home again. Catch the late train from Wick, change at Inverness, Glasgow and Birmingham, and back into Oxford before you get bored!

Just do it!

regards to all, Braz.