Advice Route from Bristol to Lancashire

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Mick F wrote:Ah!

Nasty bit over Kessock Bridge (you can ride on the far side of the crash barrier to protect you from the heavy traffic)

Mick, as you're the expert on all things LEJOG, what's so bad about this?
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Kessock Bridge, on the A9 just north of Inverness is a fairly new suspension bridge. In the old days, not that long ago really, the A9 went via the Beauly Firth to the west of Inverness, then northwards to Dingwall. The Black Isle was almost a separate place back then. Maybe 1980(?) the new road was built to shorten the route north.

The trouble is IMHO, the Kessock Bridge is too narrow, considering how wide and busy the A9 near there can be. Going north, it is also uphill, so as a cyclist, you'll be struggling up the slope and coping with the cross-winds. The bridge is high up.

This is me coming south on my way back to LE during my LEJOG and Back in 2006 approaching the bridge. You can see it in the distance, curving away to the right and down to the Inverness junctions.

There's a wide area either side of the approach roads and the bridge beyond the crash barriers where you're safe from the thundering lorries and traffic. The picture above shows it well, though not the traffic. That photo was taken late on a Saturday afternoon. Mid-week mornings are busy! I remember it well on my way north on a Thursday morning soon after 8am. Quite scary!

Just advice really. I hope it helps.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS

Just looked it up on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessock_bridge

Opened in 1982. I guessed right!

The photos show the steepness of the bridge. Uphill going north.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mick F wrote:This is me coming south on my way back to LE during my LEJOG and Back in 2006 approaching the bridge.

I cannot understand how you got onto that position unless you were in a hurry and decided to cycle on the dual carriageway in preference to the more popular cycle route alongside. :?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What cycle route?
Alongside what?

The path I was on is signed for cycles, as it is both sides of the bridge, or it was in 2006.

My route was the the same going north and coming south.
Inverness to Helmsdale on the A9 with diversions off via Invergordon Barbarville and Evanton etc. A great cycling road all the way to JOG except for busy times on the Kessock Bridge.
Last edited by Mick F on 18 Dec 2008, 9:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ron

Post by Ron »

mr riff raff wrote:

Nasty bit over Kessock Bridge (you can ride on the far side of the crash barrier to protect you from the heavy traffic)

Mick, as you're the expert on all things LEJOG, what's so bad about this?

Nothing really, if you have been fit enough to reach the Kessock bridge from Lands End, you will barely notice the climb over the bridge. :D
Unless you are in a great hurry, and are happy to dice with the motor traffic on the dual carriageway, I would advise you to cross via the joint user path on the left hand side of the bridge, this path continues in a fairly direct route towards the Tore roundabout.(follow the signs for NCN1)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry Ron, I was editing and we crossed in the post.

Are you saying that there's a dedicated cycle route on a separate bridge?

If so, I know nowt about it. The path behind the crash barrier on both sides of the dual carriageway is fine for cycles, and when you're away from the Tore roundabout, all is fine and dandy.

Even the dual carriageway to Tore is fine for cycles. Or it was when I used it, even on that busy Thursday morning.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mick F wrote:What cycle route?
Alongside what?

The path I was on is signed for cycles, as it is both sides of the bridge, or it was in 2006.

The joint user path on the west(right hand side going south) side of the bridge connects directly with the NCN on both sides of the bridge. Using the path on the east side of the bridge involves crossing the dual carriageway or taking a time consuming detour.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ron wrote:Using the path on the east side of the bridge involves crossing the dual carriageway or taking a time consuming detour.

Don't agree.
We must be talking at cross purposes, as you obviously know Inverness better than me!

I rode south down the A9 on the Saturday from Tore, onto the approach road, on to the path, took the photo, then carried on over the bridge. After the bridge, I followed a path and pavemented area and a lay-by or two (I think).

At the second junction, I rode off west under the A9 into Inverness and to the YHA via The Chieftain for a beer or two!

Going north, it was very windy with high cross-winds. The traffic was heavy and noisy. Even though I was behind the barrier, it was difficult going. Remember, I was fully loaded.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mick F wrote:My route was the the same going north and coming south.

You say your route was the same northbound and southbound, but you could not have passed north and south past the position shown in the photograph without taking a rather circuitous route. There is obviously some confusion here, I think we should just let it rest there. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning, Ron!

Ah, I see!

Going north, I was WITH the traffic direction ie on the WEST side of the bridge.
Going south, I was WITH the traffic direction ie on the EAST side of the bridge.

I suggested it was the same route both N and S, as I believe it was, as I didn't use the NCN, only staying behind the barriers on the bridge and approaches.

I hope that's settled it!
Mick F. Cornwall
rwrobson

Post by rwrobson »

the plan is to turn at Milton off before Inverness and go via Beauly

Nasty bit over Kessock Bridge (you can ride on the far side of the crash barrier to protect you from the heavy traffic) then follow the A9 all the way to Latheron via Invergordon, Tain, Golspie, Helmsdale and the steep valley of the Braes of Berridale - V hard work!

And before I forget, have a read at my accounts:
www.lejogandback.blogspot.com
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

ransos wrote:According to my calculations, the most direct route north from Bristol is over the bridge to Chepstow, then Monmouth. I avoided the A40 by going via the A466 instead, which takes you to the A49 just before Hereford. I'm sure that the all English route would be flatter though.

just for the record there is a BIG hill past hereford on the A49 as your heading upto Leominster...

...tho if youve reached that far you should sail up it no probs :D
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER