Help around Bristol and further North

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
island girl

Help around Bristol and further North

Post by island girl »

Hi Everyone.

Still reading the forum avidly but am now looking for advice. I would like to cycle around Bristol and head for Gloucester but I can only see two direct ways of going. Head west to Weston-Super-Mare then A370 thru Bristol to Filton then A38. Other route is Axbridge, Churchill, thru Bristol and stay on A38. I read their is a steep hill at Redhill so would rather avoid. I'm looking for fairly direct, flattish route round Bristol. Is this possible?

Further North I'm cycling
Gloucester
A38 to Worcester
A449 then A442 to Telford
A442 to Whitchurch
A49 to Warrington, Wigan, Preston then
A6 to Lancaster

I know this is a favourite route but I am worried about the traffic on some of the roads. In particular I read in the forum that some people say avoid the A49 at all costs .

I want a fairly direct, flattish route if this is possible. ( Don't we all ).

Sometimes I feel I am thinking too much about the route. Getting a bit obsessed about it. Chopping and changing all the time. Does anyone else feel the same?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Two things:
Bristol can be hit head-on. The A38 goes straight through. Aim at the River Avon, go left for a little way along the A4 under the Clifton Suspension Bridge, then take a right up a hill past the zoo - and head north again.

The A49 is a good road, and if/when I ride up that way again, I'll be on it! It's a good old-fashioned main road. Shrewsbury is difficult going north coz the signage is bad. If you have a compass - head north through the centre. Don't follow by-passes (Whitchurch for instance) and go right through the town centres. Shops, cafes, pubs and LBSs!

There are other routes from that I describe above, and no doubt others will come on with better ideas for getting away from the traffic. I personally don't mind the traffic, I grin and bear it, knowing I'm taking the easiest route and will be out of it soon.
Mick F. Cornwall
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

It's easy to overplan, isn't it?

A good tip: Don't worry too much. You're still going to have a good time.

Speaking form our experince, our route changed on a daily basis depending on local knowledge and how much we felt we were enjoying the roads we were currently on so you could easily use your route above as a template and just dot around it as you discover less trafficy/more scenic roads.

Mick makes a good point about going through the centre of towns, but be wary of Bristol, be careful following the road signs through the centre for cars. You'll zig zag all over the City. Get a street map or a route planned through the City in advance is my advice. The A38 may be direct, we didn't follow it (and the A38 north of Bristol (at least coming South as we did) was an absolute nightmare through to Stroud. You can minimise the impact of this by NOT following cycle paths along this road.

I too am not too bothered about traffic and if you're aim in doing an e2e is to get from one extreme to the other as quickly as possible, then that's the thing to do. If you want to hear the birds sing and enjoy more pleasant views head for minor roads. I wanted to enjoy the ride and the country side and ended up doing the ride about 60% quieter roads and 40% major roads.

I see you're taking some rather major roads there. From Bristol right up to Lancaster you have a fairly flat landscape. This is true even if you hug the Welsh border.

I'd take the opportunity to get off the main roads and take some scenic, quieter country routes.

Our route is detailed on our web page (and in a PDF journal). See the Sheila's Wheelers link in my signature below for both of them.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

the route i did was

bristol to Glouceter via A38....be warned tho i got lost in bristol :lol:

then upto Hereford via A417 - B4215 - B4221 - B4224

then Hereford straight up the A49 thro Ludlow upto Shrewsbury

i took a slight detour around shrewsbury as i live there...but ended back on the A49 to Whitchurch then upto Warrington

obviously cutting across to Hereford isnt the shortest route but it makes for great cycling, and is one of my favourite places to ride.

the A49 isnt the best road to cycle on - but for a one-off its acceptable. just be prepared for lots of traffic, windy roads, and between hereford and leominster a largeish hill(with a cafe at the top).

the main attraction with the A49 is you can fly up it pretty quickly at an easy effort. i would recommend it

are you cycling alone or in a group???

if you were interested i could join you for part of the A49 riding - and take you thro Shrewsbury town centre back onto the A49....as this is my neck of the woods
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bristol is my home town!

The most direct way is to go through it. To not get lost I'd recommend getting on the A370 either via Congresbury to avoid Redhill or take on Redhill, past the airport and join A370 via Barrow Gurney.

Approaching Bristol on A370, the suspension bridge becomes obvious, go under it as Mick says and then fork right up Bridge Valley Road (a challenging hill), past the Zoo and then the A4018 out to Cribbs Causeway is fairly obvious. The B4055 links Cribbs with A38.

You'll realise Bristol has some hills. To avoid them and the city altogether head via congresbury on to clevedon and find the Avon Cycleway to gordano and then on in to Pill to take the M5 motorway bridge. At end of bridge you bear right then first left onto an NCN cyclepath skirting Lawrence Weston and on to Henbury and Cribbs Causeway again.

Hope that helps.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Jonny, as you're now officially the Bristol expert, could you answer me a question?
On my e2e I want to go over the Clifton Sus. Bridge then go towards the Severn bridges but not to go over just to see them really.
Do you reckon the best route would be along the Avon on the A4 to Avonmouth and Severn Beach or North to J17 on the M5 through the city?
TIA.
Ian.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I use this way a lot cycling from home to my son's in Torquay.

Heading north the route I take is:
Keep on A38 after Highbridge then just as you are starting to climb the Mendips just before Winscombe take the Strawberry Line cycle path on the left. Follow this path for all the way to Yatton. Then turn towards Clevedon but after bridge turn right down the first lane. Follow this as it is the back way to Clevedon. When near the town take the road towards Portishead for about 1 mile. On your right you will see the Avonway cycle route (free map from Sustrans). Follow this route. You will cross the River Avon on a cycle path attached to the motorway bridge. The cycle route will then take you to Thornbury where you pick up the A38 going north.

I have tried all of the routes mentioned in this thread but I find this one the best. It sounds complicated but it isn't.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
island girl

Post by island girl »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies- a lot of good information on how to get round Bristol. I'll take it all an board and use it. I especially like your route Bikepacker.

Lauriematt - I would love company as I am a solo rider but I don't plan to go as far west as Hereford. Still you never know - I'll keep you posted. You could carry my bags??

2Tubs -Thanks for your common sense. I'll keep an open mind about the route as I go along. I am stuying your route and diary.

Mick - agree to hit towns head on and enjoy the experience.

[/quote]
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

mr riff raff wrote:Jonny, as you're now officially the Bristol expert, could you answer me a question?
On my e2e I want to go over the Clifton Sus. Bridge then go towards the Severn bridges but not to go over just to see them really.
Do you reckon the best route would be along the Avon on the A4 to Avonmouth and Severn Beach or North to J17 on the M5 through the city?
TIA.
Ian.

The nicest way to approach the suspension bridge and to avoid the busy A370 is ride through Long Ashton village (parrallel to A370). At end of village you'll enter Ashton court estate (archway in solid wall). The road through estate zig zags up hill with great views and the estate exit is the approach road to the suspension bridge. You can also get to this approach road by taking the A369 off the A370 but the hill on this route is severe.

Turning left after the bridge takes you towards the Zoo but recommend you bear right after the bridge to enjoy Clifton village with its great shops/ cafes.

To get to severn bridges I'd still go Via M5 jct 17. Avonmouth to severn bridges is much flatter but industrial estates and chemical works!

That said, another alternative for robust tourers/ mountain bikes is a flatish NCN off road path from A370/ A369 area, which runs along the Avon gorge (opposite side of A4). Running through Leigh woods and by the riverside - it is a delight. You end up in Pill so would then come across the M5 bridge.

I'd fully endorse another post on Cheddar - Yatton Old Strawberry line route, lovely off road route to see the countryside at its best. Not suitable for road bikes.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If you go on to my website you will se the bike I used on the route just a few weeks ago and twice previously last year. I think it is perfectly okay for road bikes.
toontra

Post by toontra »

I got lost in Bristol and went round in circles for 1/2 an hour. I was attempting to link from the A38 to the A4 and had it all planned out on the Garmin (or so I thought) but there was one particular junction that defied all logic (and my meticulous planning!).

I'll try and look back through my tracklogs and pinpoint exactly where the problem was.

Good luck!

EDIT - OK, just dug out my tracklog and route files. The problem was the junction of the A3029 and the Brunel Way (extension of A370). I was thrown by the one-way system and ended up going down the A369 and then a couple of times round the roundabout.

I should have headed up the Brunel Way towards the A4 of course!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can't remember Bristol too well, other than the hill up to the zoo.

From there you end up in parkland - Lady Mile Walk? - and then you hang a right near a wooden bus shelter at a roundabout. From there you just follow your nose onto the A38.

Or am I being too simplistic?

Actually, when I've cycled through, I've always gone via Catsbrain and out to the Severn Bridge via Pinling. The above memory is from my support role in 2007.
Mick F. Cornwall
rwrobson

redhill and Bickleigh

Post by rwrobson »

I have planned the same route.. so was wondering about the 2 hills that keep getting mentioned a lot, namely Redhill and Bickleigh .. how long are these 2 hills and what gradient?
Anyone from Yorkshire have a comparison of the type of hill back home?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Redhill is going north, just south of Bristol. Personally, although I remember it, I wouldn't write home about it.

The hill is on the A38 and is quite a climb, but no big deal IMHO. Traffic lights near the top, hopefully on red for a rest!

Bickleigh Hill is going south, just south of Tiverton as you turn off towards Crediton. It IS a hill to write home about! Depending on your route, just about the hardest on JOGLE.

It rises almost immediately from the bridge, and goes round a couple of bends including a hairpin. I've only climbed it once without stopping (fully loaded, that is) by taking the hairpin on the wrong side of the road to lessen the slope, and also by having a good rest in the pub carpark at the bottom for a 20 minute sit-down.
Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Mick F wrote:Bickleigh Hill is going south, just south of Tiverton as you turn off towards Crediton. It IS a hill to write home about! Depending on your route, just about the hardest on JOGLE.

It rises almost immediately from the bridge, and goes round a couple of bends including a hairpin. I've only climbed it once without stopping (fully loaded, that is) by taking the hairpin on the wrong side of the road to lessen the slope, and also by having a good rest in the pub carpark at the bottom for a 20 minute sit-down.

Is this the one some call Cadbury hill between Credition and Tiverton?

BTW if you use the A38 and route around Bristol using Strawberry Line cyclepath and Avonmouth docks road, you can ride from Exeter to past Worcester without any real climbs.