caledonian canal

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Big T

caledonian canal

Post by Big T »

Is it possible to cycle on the Canal towpath all the way from Fort Augustsus to Fort William? On a touring bike?

Also, what's Onich to Loch Lomond via Glencoe and Rannoch Moor like? I've heard the road described as motorway standard.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: caledonian canal

Post by Mick F »

Can't help you about the canal, but the A82 is not a good road to cycle on. It's very busy and fast and straight and boring. The scenery is fantastic, of course, but your enjoyment of the scenery will not be enhanced by the busy road.

By far the best route south is over the Grampians on the Old A9 and it's attendant cycle route.

This is my opinion, many will tell you that the A82 is ok. I won't ride on it, if and when I do another E2E. We used to live up there, so I know the road.
Mick F. Cornwall
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Yes you can cycle from Ft. Augustus to FT. William on the canal path and forest tracks and minor roads, the canal path is only about half of the total route.
Canal path from Ft Augustus to Aberchalder, Aberchalder to Laggan take the track on the south side of Loch Oich rather than the official cycle route on the north side, short section of canal path to Laggan Locks, forest track from Laggan Locks to Clunes, minor road from Clunes to Gairlochy, canal path Gairlochy to Ft William.
As Mick says, the A82 is not much fun to cycle on, but the scenery is superb (better than the scenery on the A9 I would say).
Big T

Post by Big T »

B&B's are booked, so too late to change the route now. I've ridden over Slochd before but never been up Glencoe. I'm sure we can put up with one day of busy traffic, especially as there's a 13 mile descent off Rannoch Moor.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ditto off Drumochter down to Pitlochry, but I see what you mean!
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

wot rualexander said. The minor road from Gairlochy to Ft William is also quiet and pleasant.

The A82 takes a lot of traffic, and is 1 lane each way A-road. A lot can depend on time and day/date.
Up the side of Loch Lomond north of Tarbet its fairly narrow and wiggly so you'll get stuff squeezing past where it really shouldn't. Across Rannoch Moor it is again not all that wide, and the long straight stretches mean that the average speed can be 70mph. You can take the old road across the Black Mount between Bridge of Orchy and the King's House, which is nice & scenic if you don't mind the rough surface (think cobbles) and avoids the worst section of Rannoch Moor.
iaincullen

Post by iaincullen »

Big T wrote:Also, what's Onich to Loch Lomond via Glencoe and Rannoch Moor like? I've heard the road described as motorway standard.

Maybe they said motorway speeds. Everyone has different comfort zones for mixing with traffic. I'm relaxed in heavy urban 30-40mph traffic. I look for quiet roads when touring. I've used short sections of the A82 between Bridge of Orchy and Kings House 3 times over the last couple of years and it was very unpleasant. 70mph traffic passing uncomfortably close when overtaking.

South of Tyndrum it will be much better. From there the road is either wider or windy enough that traffic speeds are low.

If you are using a bike with a least 32mm tyres I would seriously consider the option suggested above of using the West Highland Way between Kings House and Loch Tulla near Bridge of Orchy.

I've attached a photo showing the typical surface on this alternative.

WHW in Corrie Ba, Rannoch  Moor
WHW in Corrie Ba, Rannoch Moor

And for comparison the surface of the forestry track on the east side of Loch Lochy

EDIT - Oops! The west side of course.

lochyforest.jpg
Last edited by iaincullen on 28 Mar 2009, 9:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

forestry track on the east side of Loch Lochy

West side surely? East side of Loch Lochy is the main road.

Here's a compilation of photos from the Great Glen Cycle Route in 2006 :

Click on the photo for larger version
Untitled-1.jpg

1 - Section of single track above Loch Ness
2 - Camping on the track above Loch Ness
3 & 4 - The descent down towards Loch Ness
5 - Between Invermoriston and Fort Augustus
6 - Canal path between Fort Augustus and Aberchalder
7 & 8 - Track on south/east side of Loch Oich
9 - Canal path into Fort William
birkhead

Post by birkhead »

there is a new cycle path east out of FtBill parallel to the main road for a short way. It is where the racing cyclist Jason was killed by white van turning across side road. i think it now goes as far as Torlundy, but might even get to Spean Bridge some day. It seemd to be of good quality when i saw it recently constructed when visiting DHWorlds last year. I rode the main road a few years ago, and did not find it too bad out of season. will see what it is like in late may this year. :)
Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Regarding the West Highland Way would it be possible to cycle all the way to Fort William ,Im doing my first LEJOG in May.This will be the longest section between Loch Lomond and Loch Ness Y.H.A. unsupported on a 1993 Raleigh Royal.Tyre size 700 x35.
irc

Post by irc »

If you are doing Loch Lomond SYHA to Loch Ness SYHA in one day 110 -120 miles I think you would need to stay on road as much as possible to keep up a decent average speed.

Using the back road from Fort William and the forest track west of Loch Lochy would be fine it wouldn't slow you too much.

Between Glen Coe and Fort William the WHW is ridable (using a back road for the last few miles) but there is a big hill, the Devils Staircase, which you will spend 40 minutes pushing the bike up. The descent from there to Kinlochleven is rough and will be slow on 700x35mm tyres. The Kinlochleven to Fort William section has another big push at the start. I would,t recommend Glen Coe to Fort William on the WHW as part of the day you are talking about.

It's worth thinking about using the WHW Bridge of Orchy to Kings house. The hills are no worse than the main road and it would be a pleasant break from the traffic. It wouldn't be much slower than the main road. 30 minutes?

South of Bridge of Orchy I'd use the road. THe WHW would be too slow and the roads are in the main either wider, or narrow but twist with slower traffic speeds.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Even with 32mm tyres, I would hesitate to venture onto that stretch of the West Highland way with panniers and a rigid frame.!

I did it a few months ago on my hardtail with full off-road regalia and still lost the sensation in both feet from the hammering. Maybe I am remembering it as worse than it is, but I distinctly remember long sections of 'boulder garden' with no clear path (imagine cycling down the centre of Iain's photo above). Do people really do this on road bikes? :shock:

From a scenic point of view, the West coast blows away the A9 corridor so if that's your priority, I would go for it. If the WHW is indeed passable then it will be even nicer than plugging up the main road.

The worst of the traffic will be beside Loch Lomond when it's tight and visibility is bad. On the open stretches, you are unlikely to be missed even if the traffic will be going at quite a lick. YTOTMV...
Doris

Post by Doris »

We are thinking of tackling the A82 on out JOGLE because we want to do the Oban and Arran route. We were hoping that if we get up early and cycle it on Sunday morning, it will be quieter- has anyone tried this?
Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Thanks for the advice,will let you know how I do.Set off on May 23rd for 11 days staying in YHAS
CHEERS CHRIS
janeanderson

Post by janeanderson »

Just back from cycling the Caledonian Canal. Most brochures would recommend Fort William to Inverness, can't think why. We had more downhills than up. bit of a wind, right enough. also nowhere did I read about taking the east side of Loch Ness and going along General Wade's Road, which is what we did. Quiet, scenic and good surfaces (we had hybrid bikes) Four hours cycling and a well deserved break at Foyers.