LEJOG - Fastest route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jamie_B

LEJOG - Fastest route

Post by Jamie_B »

Hi all
On the 9th of July I will be setting off to do the LEJOG, the original plan was to do the trip with a couple of mates, take it a reasonable pace and within reason take in a bit of the scenery etc etc. However all them nice relaxing enjoyable plans have gone right out the window (mates have bottled it) and ill now be doing it solo. This has really changed my approach for the ride and I am now only looking to get it done in the fastest time I possibly can.
My main question for everyone is concerning the route, could anyone help me with advice on the fastest route I should take. I know this sounds bad but I am only looking to do this as quick as I can and am not interested in scenery, don't get me wrong if there happens to be a nice view on the way then great but I defo don't want to be taking and un-necessary detours. Luckily my dad will be meeting me at points along the route in a motor home so food and accommodation will not be a problem. If anyone has any other good general hints worth sharing please don't hold back. Also I will be using a Garmin Edge 705 so any pointers to existing .GPX files would be a massive help.

On another note if anyone is doing it at about the same time and could do with a hand getting equipment from A to B feel free to contact me as ive got the motor home. Will be driving from Essex to Lands End on about the 8th July, spend say 6 days doing the ride then (wind assisted) then drive all the way back from John O Grotes to sunny old Essex. (I'm not after any money as ill be going that way anyway)

Jamie
amaferanga

Re: LEJOG - Fastest route

Post by amaferanga »

Hi Jamie,

Well here're some links to my probable route. I'm not a fan of busy A-roads and not afraid of hills so I've opted for B-roads and minor roads as much as possible. Certain A-roads (e.g. the A6 from north of Kendal to Carlisle) make sense to me though. My route has little to do with scenery and all to do with enjoyable cycling without frequent attempts on my life.

LE - Cheddar (304km): http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7593
Cheddar - Knutsford (315km): http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7719
Knutsford - Moffat (292km): http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7716
Moffat - Aviemore (310km): http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7608
Aviemore - JOG (284km): http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7611

Total distance is about 1505km. Ignore the metres climbed figure in bikehike as IME it overestimates by up to 30%.

You can get gpx files from the bikehike website and there's also an option to reduce trackpoints (if you'll be using tracks) that comes in very handy.

Mike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Jamie,

We've covered this before viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20384

Here is my route copied from it:

Having supported The Race Against Time in 2007, the seven riders did LE to JOG in five days, using main roads all the way.

For you, back to front of course, it will mean:
JOG to Wick on the A99 and A9, then Inverness and all the way to the Forth Road Bridge on the A9. This includes Old A9 from Perth via Glen Farg, Kinross and Inverkiething. A912, B996, B917, B981. Other than that, you're on the motorway!

From there cross the bridge and go southwest via Broxburn and Livingstone then onto the A706 and A73 for Abington. South on the Old A74 for Carlisle.
I understand there's a cycle-way open now connecting Gretna to Carlisle. You would have to go via Longtown on the A6071 and A7 - but perhaps not.

From Carlisle, follow A6 to Preston, then A49 to Shrewsbury via Wigan, Warrington and Whitchurch.

Then A484 to Bridgnorth, and A442 to Kidderminster, A449 to Worcester then A38 all the way to just north of Cullompton (Junction27 M5) via Gloucester, Bristol, Brigwater, Taunton and Wellington.

At Cullompton, you'll have got on the Old A30 at the motorway junction, now the B3181 for Exeter.

Exeter to LE is on the A30.

I hope that helps. I know it's backwards for you, but I'm sure you can plot it on a map ok. It saves me typing it out again!
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamie_B

Post by Jamie_B »

Thanks very much for your help guys, this is exactually what i was after. Well thats one big hurdle out the way, all thats left now is to get my head down ass up and turn them peddles for about 900 miles !!!!!! bring it on
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

re Gretna to Carlisle. The new, shortest route between Gretna and Carlisle that Mick referred to isn't the old A74 and it isn't signed at either Gretna or Carlisle so you need to know how to get onto it. There is a thread on about page 2 or thereabouts with directions, also you can see the route on Google maps.
The A74 doesn't exist in this neck of the woods any more. This new route connects an old access road at Gretna to the road from Carlisle to Rockliffe. As far as I'm aware it doesn't have a number.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Jamie_B

Post by Jamie_B »

Nice one cheers for that little pointer, that defo would have been a sticking point for me (it dont take much)
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Confucius once said 'To travel without thought is like a bird without wings' Unless you are going to try and do it in 44 hours why race when you can do 900 miles on a cycle trainer? Take your time and enjoy the wonderful varying landscapes and weather of Britain over this short distance.
Jamie_B

Post by Jamie_B »

This is very right but Confucius didn't have a nagging wife bending his ear about all the time he was spending out on his bike ! and then put the icing on the cake by taking 12 days to enjoy local pubs and views etc and he twiddled his way up the country.

Would I be a bad man if I traded her in for a new set of racing wheels ? ??????
Wheelspin

Post by Wheelspin »

Thats a slippery slope.... Since I got divorced, I now have 5 bikes in the garage, plus 3 motorbikes. Maybe the wife would have been cheaper ?

We are going to be on the road from Essex at the same time, but doing it the other way round. We will probably cross somewhere around the Severn if we want to share a quick chat about what lies ahead - assuming we are on a similarish route. We are Colchester / Chelmsford based.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Jamie_B wrote:Hi all
On the 9th of July I will be setting off to do the LEJOG, the original plan was to do the trip with a couple of mates, take it a reasonable pace and within reason take in a bit of the scenery etc etc. However all them nice relaxing enjoyable plans have gone right out the window (mates have bottled it) and ill now be doing it solo. This has really changed my approach for the ride and I am now only looking to get it done in the fastest time I possibly can.
My main question for everyone is concerning the route, could anyone help me with advice on the fastest route I should take. I know this sounds bad but I am only looking to do this as quick as I can and am not interested in scenery, don't get me wrong if there happens to be a nice view on the way then great but I defo don't want to be taking and un-necessary detours. Luckily my dad will be meeting me at points along the route in a motor home so food and accommodation will not be a problem. If anyone has any other good general hints worth sharing please don't hold back. Also I will be using a Garmin Edge 705 so any pointers to existing .GPX files would be a massive help.

On another note if anyone is doing it at about the same time and could do with a hand getting equipment from A to B feel free to contact me as ive got the motor home. Will be driving from Essex to Lands End on about the 8th July, spend say 6 days doing the ride then (wind assisted) then drive all the way back from John O Grotes to sunny old Essex. (I'm not after any money as ill be going that way anyway)

Jamie

As you live in Essex, might it be better to start in JOG and end in LE.

A lot easier for the ride home at the end.

A long trip to the begining is surely easier to put up with then a long trip when it's all over?

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Chris Ince wrote:Confucius once said 'To travel without thought is like a bird without wings' Unless you are going to try and do it in 44 hours why race when you can do 900 miles on a cycle trainer? Take your time and enjoy the wonderful varying landscapes and weather of Britain over this short distance.

I don't think that people who ride LEJOG slowly should feel diminished by those who ride quickly. Mostly they are just spending longer hours in the saddle, and even the scenery is still being enjoyed at broadly similar speeds (within a few MPH).

I mean, if you only have a week you *could* spend it on a cycle trainer. But why not just enjoy the varied landscapes and weather of Britain instead?
wheneverican

Post by wheneverican »

Mick F's comment and route is spot on. We did this in May this year and just booke dthe 1st night at Okehampton, after that we just went as far as we could on good roads. Have done the severn crossing route but can def recommend the Gloucester - Telford route which saves around 6000ft of climbing between Bristol to Whitchurch vs going by the Forest of Dean option - albeit not so pretty maybe.
Carlisle was the only minor bit - go out of Carlisle and take a left just before the motorway juction- there is a large McDonalds drive thru on your left and follow this road to Rock Cliffe.
Other than that it was a brilliant ride - try and get on the A9 across the cairngorms on a sunday as its much quieter. We averaged 125 miles per day, with two days of 148 miles for a total journey time of 7 days. As long as you dont mind traffic then that route is superb.

I took an edge 605 but used laminted snippets of a map for main navigation. Take a look on http://www.followsimon.com/route.htm for the elevations of the route we took (Mick F's route)
Best of luck
Simon