LEJoG video log

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
EdinburghFixed

LEJoG video log

Post by EdinburghFixed »

So.. a few months down the line and I have finally put together some headcam footage from my abortive LEJoG attempt!

I don't think it's particularly good, but I had the clips and thought it might provide a few minutes light entertainment. Amongst the highlights you will see the horrible touristy Land's End complex, my bike, a few hills (with panting and gasping noises left in where appropriate), the bridge at Gunnislake, the odd contrast of lanes and dual carriageway interspersed with occasional 'diary' shots that mainly feature me looking a bit sorry for myself.

Anyway, for what it's worth... click here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WCbsm_KRV4

Let me know what you think :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LEJoG video log

Post by Mick F »

Great stuff EF, but so sad to see you obviously in so much pain.
Nevertheless, LE to Kendal on a fixed is no mean feat.

How's your knees now? Hopefully recovered.

Just a little observation about Tavistock: You went the wrong way!
As you dropped down into the town, you went round a mini roundabout and to the Drake's Statue roundabout. You went straight on towards Plymouth. You should have gone left/North!
(No doubt you found you were wrong and got it sorted!)
Mick F. Cornwall
pwillis

Post by pwillis »

Great effort even if you didn't make it all the way. 500 miles in 4 days on a fixed is to be applauded. Loved the video. Being 11 months away from my attempt (using considerably more gears) its exciting and inspriational. Its got me thinking about getting a head camera for my attempt aswell.

Good luck with part 2!!!
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Mick - I've just about recovered now... thanks for the tip! I found my way in the end :)

pwillis wrote:Loved the video. Being 11 months away from my attempt (using considerably more gears) its exciting and inspriational. Its got me thinking about getting a head camera for my attempt as well.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's hard for me to watch, but I hoped it might excite upcoming LEJoGGers rather than scare them off!

I think I will take the camera again next time, but it's difficult to strike a balance between recording everything (too much memory and batteries!) and monologue, scenic shots - which I didn't do enough of - and so on.

The main problem was that I didn't take a head-strap, so I had to put on my helmet when I wanted to use the camera, which severely curtained the footage I got. I was trying to pack light and since I took the helmet in case I wanted it in the grim midlands (which I didn't), I brought no other mounts. Having it on the sweat-band would have been more practical, and pleasant too :)

Good luck with part 2!!!

I can't decide whether to try and finish the other four days on fixed, over a couple of weekends. Kendal - Edinburgh - Pitlochry and Pitlochry - Inverness - JoG. Failing that I'm going to go for the whole thing again early next year - but with gears!
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

Some of those roads looked horrible! Minor roads where possible next time?
Alastair K

Post by Alastair K »

Good video, I'm sure Part two will be forthcoming.
Before you do it, go to your local physio and ask them to show you how to tape your own knees up with Kinesio tape - couldn't have completed my ride without it (and Ibruprofen). Don't know how it works, but it does.
If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is.
www.spokeshirts.co.uk/blog
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

amaferanga wrote:Some of those roads looked horrible! Minor roads where possible next time?

It depends on how sensitive you are to cars, I guess, but I was pretty happy with the route. Although if I was doing it as a tour, it's true that the scenery from trunk roads (especially the dual carriageways) is dire! I wasn't though - I had only the one week free.

The two concessions I made to fear of traffic both ended in tears, with some severe hills and a few blind bends that were pretty hair raising. At least on the open road, there is comfortable visibility :)
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

EdinburghFixed wrote:
amaferanga wrote:Some of those roads looked horrible! Minor roads where possible next time?

It depends on how sensitive you are to cars, I guess, but I was pretty happy with the route. Although if I was doing it as a tour, it's true that the scenery from trunk roads (especially the dual carriageways) is dire! I wasn't though - I had only the one week free.

The two concessions I made to fear of traffic both ended in tears, with some severe hills and a few blind bends that were pretty hair raising. At least on the open road, there is comfortable visibility :)

I guess that's the problem with doing it on fixed - to make it doable in such a short time you have to avoid the steeper hills that you inevitably get on minor roads.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

EdinburghFixed wrote:. . .I wanted it in the grim midlands . . .

What?

I live in the Midlands, I think it ain't that bad. I rather like it.

Now you've got my dander up.

In this vitual world I'm asking you to virtually step outside for a virtual fight.

>;o)

Gazza

P.S. I'll have a loko at the video when I boot the PC at home.
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

It wasn't as bad as I feared, actually... nothing compared with riding in Edinburgh!

There are some really freaky cycle "facilities" to be seen though. Warrington was probably the worst, but even on the way into Chester you either have to ride illegally in the bus lane, in the traffic lane where drivers will undertake you in the bus lane, or on the pavement "facility" which is strewn with obstacles and give way points. I mean, astonishing?

Obviously I just rode in the bus lane. 20mph on the pavement isn't a good look, even if a council pen-pusher has designated it. I was still terrified some jobsworth might give me a ticket...
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

I can imagine how it felt to have to give up, but agree with Mick that 500 miles in four days on a fixie is amazing.

Hope you get to do it next year with some of those new-fangled gear things. :-)
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
chrisisaacbike

Post by chrisisaacbike »

Great video. I look forward to the next video of the entire trip. I am off on the great Epic myself tomorrow. Fully supported. 20 gears. What can possibly go wrong.
boink

Post by boink »

Being English, I love a glorious failure! Having done it last summer with 27 gears, and having struggled to push my bike up
and out of some of those insane cornish valleys you find yourself in on B roads, my hat is off to you. Really can't imagine how you did that daily mileage.

You obviously enjoy the film making side (which is very good). Why don't you get those knees back in shape, get some gears and do it again? With more time to record your thoughts, the views and folk you meet on the way?

Anyway, amazing effort. Well done.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

boink wrote:... Anyway, amazing effort. Well done.

Ditto.

Good video too.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Brilliant effort, well done!

Next time somebody pipes up about the benefits of fixies - I'll point them to that video! :wink:

Interestingly, in the shots where you could see the bike in relation to the kerb you seemed much nearer the kerb than I would be - I know it's difficult to gauge stuff on video but even so...