Penny Farthing record

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
24hourmaths

Re: Penny Farthing record

Postby 24hourmaths » 20 May 2019, 12:24pm

Mick F wrote:The thing is, the lengths of time he took are conflicting.
If there are errors in the facts, are there errors in the FACT that he did it?

Hello there. In the build up to Richard Thoday's attempt - clarifying the many incredible rides of GP Mills:

GP Mills appears on the RRA Anfield Shield four times:

1886 5 days 1 hour 45 mins - Ordinary (Penny Farthing)
1891 4 days 11 hours 17 mins - Safety
1893 3 days 16 hours 47 mins - Tricycle
1894 3 days 5 hours 49 mins - Safety

These were all PACED records - it wasn't until 1908 that GA Olley set an unpaced record quicker than GP Mills in 1894. I believe GP Mills did at least 2 other LEJOG rides but I don't have the link to hand.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 May 2019, 7:12pm

Excellent info! :D

Thank you for that, and welcome to the forum.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 May 2019, 7:38pm

Unless it's a ringer, which I doubt, 24hourmaths is the current holder of the record. I am standing to attention as I type this. Welcome indeed.

=======
PS Is it significant that there's no more room on that shield?

24hourmaths

Postby 24hourmaths » 23 May 2019, 9:53pm

thirdcrank wrote:Unless it's a ringer, which I doubt, 24hourmaths is the current holder of the record. I am standing to attention as I type this. Welcome indeed.
=======
PS Is it significant that there's no more room on that shield?

The 24 hour shield is already full and now has a rather unsightly larger back board added with small circular discs. See photo here, where it is kindly being held by Lynne Biddulph (nee Taylor) who has few LEJOGs under her belt.

Here is a bit more GP Mills for you as well, recounting his successful foray into continental racing. He took a few likely lads with him as you can see.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 23 May 2019, 11:26pm

Belated congratulations 24hourmaths.

My ambition is to do it in about 96hrs!!

Cheers James

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 May 2019, 6:10am

I'm interested in the idea of a paced ordinary: what did the pacer(s) ride? Was it perhaps more of a group effort providing support on the road and verification that the distance had been ridden? I started reading the comic in 1958 so I assumed that End-to-End record rides were frequent as there were only weeks between Dave Keeler and Reg Randall, but I don't remember ever reading anything in detail about those Victorian riders.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 24 May 2019, 10:19am

Andy S wrote:
Mick F wrote:When's he attempting it?
What route? No doubt major roads all the way.

More information here: https://www.facebook.com/pennyfarthingendtoend/

Start late July, major roads all the way based on Michel Broadwidth's route.

Richard has built the bike himself, but believe me, it still has substantial weight! He will have plenty of support, but as said, he still has to turn the pedals. The attempt is not recognised by the RRA, but there may be a Guinness record to be had - Richard is doing this for Children in Need and there is a link to the 'just giving' page from the Facebook page.

If anyone can do this, it's Richard. He's a thoroughly nice chap and any support would no doubt be welcomed.

Andy

Not sure I can be bothered with the Farcebook page, so I hope to hear the start date somehow - this is a record attempt I would really like to see (if practicable)!

meanwhile, folks can remind themselves of 24hourmaths' ride:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=126899