Penny Farthing record

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
24hourmaths

Re: Penny Farthing record

Post by 24hourmaths »

Mick F wrote:The thing is, the lengths of time he took are conflicting.
If there are errors in the facts, are there errors in the FACT that he did it?

Hello there. In the build up to Richard Thoday's attempt - clarifying the many incredible rides of GP Mills:

GP Mills appears on the RRA Anfield Shield four times:

1886 5 days 1 hour 45 mins - Ordinary (Penny Farthing)
1891 4 days 11 hours 17 mins - Safety
1893 3 days 16 hours 47 mins - Tricycle
1894 3 days 5 hours 49 mins - Safety

These were all PACED records - it wasn't until 1908 that GA Olley set an unpaced record quicker than GP Mills in 1894. I believe GP Mills did at least 2 other LEJOG rides but I don't have the link to hand.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent info! :D

Thank you for that, and welcome to the forum.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Unless it's a ringer, which I doubt, 24hourmaths is the current holder of the record. I am standing to attention as I type this. Welcome indeed.

=======
PS Is it significant that there's no more room on that shield?
24hourmaths

Post by 24hourmaths »

thirdcrank wrote:Unless it's a ringer, which I doubt, 24hourmaths is the current holder of the record. I am standing to attention as I type this. Welcome indeed.
=======
PS Is it significant that there's no more room on that shield?

The 24 hour shield is already full and now has a rather unsightly larger back board added with small circular discs. See photo here, where it is kindly being held by Lynne Biddulph (nee Taylor) who has few LEJOGs under her belt.

Here is a bit more GP Mills for you as well, recounting his successful foray into continental racing. He took a few likely lads with him as you can see.

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Belated congratulations 24hourmaths.

My ambition is to do it in about 96hrs!!

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm interested in the idea of a paced ordinary: what did the pacer(s) ride? Was it perhaps more of a group effort providing support on the road and verification that the distance had been ridden? I started reading the comic in 1958 so I assumed that End-to-End record rides were frequent as there were only weeks between Dave Keeler and Reg Randall, but I don't remember ever reading anything in detail about those Victorian riders.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Andy S wrote:
Mick F wrote:When's he attempting it?
What route? No doubt major roads all the way.

More information here: https://www.facebook.com/pennyfarthingendtoend/

Start late July, major roads all the way based on Michel Broadwidth's route.

Richard has built the bike himself, but believe me, it still has substantial weight! He will have plenty of support, but as said, he still has to turn the pedals. The attempt is not recognised by the RRA, but there may be a Guinness record to be had - Richard is doing this for Children in Need and there is a link to the 'just giving' page from the Facebook page.

If anyone can do this, it's Richard. He's a thoroughly nice chap and any support would no doubt be welcomed.

Andy

Not sure I can be bothered with the Farcebook page, so I hope to hear the start date somehow - this is a record attempt I would really like to see (if practicable)!

meanwhile, folks can remind themselves of 24hourmaths' ride:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=126899
Andy_S

Post by Andy_S »

Just to follow up on this, a short film has been made documenting Richards epic ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgQFufRS3bY
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D
Good movie, and well produced.
Thank you.
Mick F. Cornwall
Michael

Post by Michael »

G.P.Mills 1886 5 Days 1 hour 44 minutes is correct according to R.R.A 100 Years of Cycling Road Records. He left Lands End on July 4th on a 53 inch Beeston Humber Ordinary with 3/4 inch solid tyres. It was fitted with a hub lamp and a distance recorder that rang a bell on every mile completed.
This was a paced record but the roads were no better than shingle beaches. There was no Forth Bridge and ferries had to be used
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Epic!!

His day 5 was in crap weather!

Watching him get up helmsdale on essentially a fixed!!

Amazing

Cheers James
aegelstane

Post by aegelstane »

The Road Records Assn was formed in 1888 and the first LEJOG entry reads;1891 G P Mills 4 Days 11 Hours 17 Min Presumably riding a "safety" machine
In 1894 he reduced this to 3.05.49 and would have been awarded the Anfield Bicycle Club Shield presented perpetually 1894. In 1895, with T A Edge, Mills set up the first tandem record *3.04.46 All of these rides were PACED as was presumably Mill's penny farthing one The first unpaced solo record was set up by C J Mather 1903 5.05.12 Mill's 1894 time wasn't beaten, unpaced, until 1908 - G A Olley 3.05.20
* Of interest; the next tandem entry after this one is; 1938 Innes and Thompson 2.14.48 - unpaced of course!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Richard is one hard rider. As impressive as it gets.