Just to put all your planned rides into perspective...

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
braz

Just to put all your planned rides into perspective...

Post by braz »

...........I found myself talking to Lynne Taylor yesterday - nice lady - who holds the LE - JOG record for a gel.

Ready for this? 2 days, 4 hours, 11 seconds. And after that she went on to beat the previous best time for 1000 miles. Hardly broke sweat, aparently.

So come on all you chaps who are planning to do the ride next year, you now have something to aim at - get some training in over Christmas!

regards to all, Braz
garybaldy

Re: Just to put all your planned rides into perspective...

Post by garybaldy »

After 2 days 4 hours I was just north of Bristol.

So, some way off the pace!!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

garybaldy wrote:After 2 days 4 hours I was just north of Bristol.

So, some way off the pace!!

So was I, following the Wye towards Hereford. :)
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

........ but did she enjoy it?
Mick F. Cornwall
vernon

Post by vernon »

She might well have done.

Some folk get their kicks from different aspects of a cycle ride.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

16.8 mph average speed - I can do that. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not round here, you can't!

Best averages I've ever achieved are the high 13s or low 14s.

I have a Favourite Ride. It's a circular ride of 30 miles, or I can extend it a bit further to 38. It's hilly, it always is round here! and I usually ride the route non-stop.

Here are some typical stats:
Distance 30.41miles
Total ascent 2,877ft
Calories 2035
Duration 2hrs 9mins
Average speed 13.99mph
Mick F. Cornwall
braz

Post by braz »

Hello again,

I was always taught that it awfully bad form to ask a gel if she enjoyed it.....

regards to all, Braz.
Attachments
Lynne Talor on Shap Fell
Lynne Talor on Shap Fell
Si

Post by Si »

It's an amazing achievement and she's an awesome athlete, but it's not what I'd call a cycle tour and so doesn't really "put all your planned rides into perspective" any more than I'd compare Button winning the F1 champs to someone having a holiday in a motorhome. Two totally different things.

At the end of it I guess she'd have a great feeling of achievement and pride in breaking the record.
At the end of a touring LEJoG I had a great feeling of joy from all the places I'd stopped and admired, the people I'd met and the things I'd seen.

Both allow pride in personal achievement - which allows more? Well the record ride has the kudos, but it was achieved by a highly trained athlete who has devoted much of her life to such things and had much experience of long rides. Is it not just as impressive when a bloke, who was five stone overweight, on 30 fags a day and hadn't done a smidge of exercise (let alone cycle training) for the thirty years of his life preceding the last nine months or so, finally hauls his tired but contented body into JOG a couple of weeks after leaving LE?

Two entirely different things and both worthy of the highest amounts of praise.
braz

Post by braz »

...........five stone overweight, on 30 fags a day and hadn't done a smidge of exercise (let alone cycle training) for the thirty years.....................

That should cut down the attendance at A & E - if you are suggesting that this is a role model for End to Enders!

Si, don't be so serious! - my original post was very light-hearted - and has focussed a few minds, as the resulting responses have shown! As one who also holds an End to End record (it took us a year and a day to complete the ride last time, because I had to return to a crisis at work half way through our ride) I know about these things!

regards to all, Braz.
Si

Post by Si »

Apologies, braz, if you thought I was having a go at you - I wasn't, I was just musing on the fact that we should celebrate all such personal achievements, be they world records or just personal challenges - all can be just as hard and just as rewarding!
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I take the original post in the spirit that it was intended. But here's my 2p on the issues Si raised... if anything I think (sort of) that it's almost less of an achievement, for a professional athlete than for ordinary people.

That doesn't mean I think that it's easy, or even that professionals find it easy, or even that they find it less fulfilling (can you be any more fulfilled than setting an all-time record, if going fast was your goal?)

But, the majority of people in this country are in poor health, if not outright ill health. For them as Si says, it really can be the hardest thing they have ever (will ever) do. They have no background in it, or training, or proper support team. Whenever there is a major public disaster or whatever, it is often the stories of the ordinary people who do something extraordinary, that are most moving. Not that I'm trying to compare LEJoG to a disaster movie or anything :shock: :?

Just my thoughts.