Some advice needed

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
vipdog

Some advice needed

Post by vipdog »

I'm new to the forum and would like to ask for some advice.I'm doing JOGLE on the 3/4 and hope to finish on the 13/4.I'm doing it for charity with my 13 year old son.
My questions are is it safe to camp on the way,i'm cycling on a more rural route and i guess probably i won't find a camping site very often.Also what is the best option of transport to get from Thurso to JOG as i will go by train from London to Thurso. My last question i do not have a gps is it alright to use only maps.
These questions might sound silly but i'm a newbie and is my first time doing a ride like this and specialy with no support.
bfbf

Re: Some advice needed

Post by bfbf »

Hi

I am new too so this should just give you some ideas...

That means you will be doing 90 miles a day, with limited day light hours and it being quite cold. It is possible but I would check that your fitness it up to it before going. Lots of day rides. Maybe cycle to a place 100miles away, camp and come back. You will work out any issues you have then.

Camping is possible, on the main CTC site there is a camping route which will mean that the route stops at lots of camp sites. There are enough to do it. However it Scotland it is legal to wield camp, which could be possible some nights. Also Hostels are also sometimes similarly priced to camp sites so may be nice having a couple of nights in a bed.

And of course it is alright just to use maps! What do you think people did those 10-15 years ago when GPSs barely existed :o Would be a good idea to spend some time looking at the route each night and again that is where the maps on the main CTC site may come in handy. Having someone available on the phone with google maps would also be useful if you get lost. Also not sure what Sat-Navs some people have but mine does not last 10 days without a charge :( Or even 1 hour so maps are the way to go!

If you get the Inverness sleeper from London then it is not too expensive (booked in advance) and you can get bikes on if you ring in advance to pre-book.
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

It's about 20-25 miles from Thurso out to JOG by my recollection. There is a taxi guy who carries bikes and advertises around the area,can't remember name but google should find. Also just do a search for 'wild camping' on this website, lots of people, including myself, have written about it.

CTC route guide with standard road map is sufficient ( assuming you don't want to detour too much). Never used a GPS but I'm sure it could be useful if you make sure you are competent to use it before hand.

Personally, even though I love camping, if I was putting in those kind of miles at that time of year I'd be looking for a good comfortable bed at the end of the day but if you're up for it then fair play to you friend
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
vipdog

Post by vipdog »

Tks for your help.I'm a bit concerned about wild camping as being a woman with a young boy i might became an easy target :? but will try to get to places with more people around.I used to ride a bike for miles and miles but for the last 10 years is the car all the time.My son is used to the bike specially summer time when he never stops.I'm starting some training this week,will be training on a MTB as i think is a lot harder so if i then ride a racing bike it will makes things a bit easier.I honestly don't like racing bikes ,don't feel confortable riding them as the tyres are too thin :oops: i know it sounds stupid but that's the way i feel about it but not sure which bike to use.I will be starting to put a bike together ,just got a frame that is carbon what mkes it really light and are getting all the other bits .I don't think 10 days will be realistic but i will try my best the important thing is riding to the end even if it does take an extra couple of days. :)
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Camping with a carbon frame? that sounds 'interesting' have you worked out how the tent and all the other stuff that you need to lug around will be supported on the bike or are you going to have junior do all the carrying? :wink: You will also find that fatter tyres will give fewer punctures under such a load and a carbon racing frame might not have the clearence for these. Another thing to think about is getting back home when you reach the end.If you are planning on the train you will have to book your bike onto a train in advance so will need to finish in time to catch the train.

I think that to do it in ten days in April and camp (and find camp sites that are open) will be do-able but very difficult, but good luck and i hope all goes well.
Be carefull out there.
vipdog

Post by vipdog »

Well i just have the carbon frame because was given to my husband last year but wasn't even thinking about the luggage ,as i said i'm new to this and i kno ho to cycle but that's all ,don't have a clue what type of bike to use ,what to look into ex; weight,luggage,kit etc.
I do have 40 days to ge everything together and ready .If carbon is not good as i need to tke some weight on the bike ,i guess the next option will be aluminium as still light.A friend of mine cycled from London to Barcelona using a MTB but i do think an MTB is quite heavy ,well mine is very heavy.So i guess i will have to start finding the right bike :cry: .The only reason i will be camping is to keep costs to a minimum as i'm doing it for charity.Regarding transport back home friends will be picking us up from Lands End s that bit is sorted.
I do have 2 sets of panniers ,1 for each bike ,a very light weight tent as is a pop up and it weights less than 2 kilos.On the top of this i will have 3/4 changes for each and a extra pair of trainers.Also a tool and a repair kit ,a spare tyre per bike and 2 inner tubes per bike .I think i will have a load of 6/7 kilos per bike .I'm a bit scared but at the same time i can't wait for the day .I'm trying to read all the forum so i can read about other peple views and experiences so i will have a better idea of what to expect.The thing i hate the most is the rain and i know i will probably have days of non stop rain,but i think it will be good fun or maybe not :oops:
The Bard

Post by The Bard »

10 days - 13 year old boy - vague cycling experience - very basic questions - carbon bike and camping kit ....

Methinks that that yon original poster may be on a Midsummer Night's Dream with this tale .... Measure for Measure it seems a challenge - but perhaps Much Ado About Nothing . . . let's hope it's not a Comedy of Errors and All's Well That End's Well .... but watch out for those forest tracks in Burnham Wood as you approach Dunsinane.

The Bard
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well 90 miles a day will be a tough ride with camping kit. Nights are shortish in April but do remember the clocks will have changed to British Summer Time so it will stay lighter later into the evening.
You will need to practise getting up and getting packed. It can take a quite awhile to get up, sorted and repacked everyday. Could take up to 2 hours when my son was young.
You could have some very inclement weather still in April, strong winds and heavy rain.
Have fun.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
vipdog

Post by vipdog »

The Bard wrote:10 days - 13 year old boy - vague cycling experience - very basic questions - carbon bike and camping kit ....

Methinks that that yon original poster may be on a Midsummer Night's Dream with this tale .... Measure for Measure it seems a challenge - but perhaps Much Ado About Nothing . . . let's hope it's not a Comedy of Errors and All's Well That End's Well .... but watch out for those forest tracks in Burnham Wood as you approach Dunsinane.

The Bard

13 year old boy is 6ft tall and does have loads of experience cycling ,so is not a little boy in fact h is the one doing te ride but of course someone has to ride with him,he was going to do this ride last year but he had meningites a month befor the ride and on medical advice he culdn't do it so had to postpone it until now.The basic quetions are the ones i needed to ask as i never went wild camping and the carbon bike was again a very simple question as i do have that frame but someone here gave me some advice regarding that so i'm now looking for another bike.
The ride is not only about being strong and have lots of experience i do believe if you are mentally prepared to do it you can do it.15 years ago i've one Lisbon to Morrocco in July with temperatures of 43 celsius and i did use a stupid folding bike,wasn't easy but i did finish it.
If i knew all the questions i wouldn't come here to ask but as i said i'm a newbie and if i can have some advice from people who donne it before will be a great help.
What do you mean by "but watch out for those forest tracks in Burnham Wood as you approach Dunsinane."
vernon

Post by vernon »

The best option from Thurso to JOG is to pedal there. It's only 20 miles about 2% of your total distance.

I do have to ask how you managed to Navigate from Lisbon to Morocco without GPS. Mpas are perfectly fine and do not suffer from flat batteries.

Reading through your responses I do wonder how well prepared you will be for the ride.

You are eight/nine weeks away from the ride and you are only just thinking about what sort of bike to take, have no significant mileage under your belt, have no clue about the suitability of a carbon framed bike, have not considered food and drink not to mention weather and luggage racks.

I'm not entirely convinced that you are serious. Ninety miles per day is a serious undertaking and you might be better off postponing the ride until the summer holidays with longer and warmer days. It will also give you chance to have some trial weekends camping to get the measure of the pending experience and a feel for what cycle camping entails.

Good luck with the ride. If you complete it, it will be an unforgettable experience, if you dont, it will still be unforgettable.
vipdog

Post by vipdog »

Tks Vernon

i didn't went by myself from Lisbon to Morrocco (so no need of a gps/map),i was is a group of 20 but we didn't have a timescale to do it so we've done 50/60 miles a day and we had to cycle late in the day sometimes until midnight and later as it was extremely hot.
I'm ok using maps but can't stand the GPS as very often got lost .Regarding training i'm starting it ,i will be doing 20 miles a day from tonight as i do have a friend who i in a cycling club and we will start it tonight as i want to do this week with few traffic so after 8 pm will be ok.It wil alo give me a better idea how many miles i will be able to cover in a day/hour.
We will b cycling around Reading and from next week i will start increasing 10 miles a week what should give me 70 miles a day but this will be only possible on weekend .
I'm training on my MTB so i guess will be a bit hard.
Reason i'm worried about the bike is because i want to have everything ready within a week or 2 ,i don't like to leave things to last minute.I'm not worried about food as i hope not to carry a lot of food around.Will have to carry water and some cereal bars but that's about it as i can always buy food where i stop.
I'm serious about the ride ,i'm not sure if i will b doing 90 miles a day but if not i will do 50 or 60 whatis really important is to finish it.Obviously i would love to do it in 10 days but ifit's not achievable i will do it in 12/14 days.Reason i can't do it in summer is i will be out of the country for 2 months (work related) and no chance ofgetting that time off,therefore has to be half term because of my son's school.
After my first session of cycling tonight i will know ho my legs feel.Wish me luck
)
robgul

Post by robgul »

vernon wrote:
>> snip

I'm not entirely convinced that you are serious.

<< snip

I don't want to be fanning the flames here BUT this person's son sent a "Ride Entry" at the end of last week for the calendar on my www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk website. The original information seemed implausible and I e-mailed to check whether it was a spoof entry (I have had a few)

I then got an e-mail from the mother (the poster) that contained some of the additional comments/information that have emerged in the thread during today.

The point that was in the e-mail and furthered my suspicions, but hasn't been mentioned in the thread was, I quote verbatim...

" ... this is the mum,yes 9 days will be hard ,specially when i'm cycling with a trailer with 2 of the dogs,one is terminally ill so will take her as she needs care around the clock,and the other is completely devoted to her (they were both puppy farm breading machines :( ) so want them to be togethe for as long as she's got left .... "

The latest message says that the local paper, wherever that is, will have a story this week.

I hate to question people's integrity when it comes to charity fund-raising - but equally I am not prepared to have the End to End site compromised with non-genuine information. It's my attempt at providing a resource for E2E riders, whether for charity or not. I feel uncomfortable publishing the ride entry ... IF there is newspaper coverage then I will gladly list the ride, and admire the mother and son if they manage to do the ride (with or without dog trailer) in the time stated.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

You are getting quite a lot of negative which I understand, but I still think there's no reason to panic! If you put in some miles beforehand it'll hurt less but if you're determined and carry some lights you'll just have to put in long days to get the miles done. I did 80 miles per day on average, max 110. On the worst days we cycled 8 till 8:30 :shock: I got stronger as I went and was almost disapointed when it was over. As for your MTB, have a look at my "dead car how to shop" thread, that is the bike I used, except it had a big heavy pair of suspension forks on it and a seat post mounted rack. (Note super skinny tyres)The suspension is not a help but it didn't hold me back compared to my companions. I wasn't camping but I had more than 6KG to go with my 90! I ate 7500 Calories a day and lost weight! We went in May and did remarkably well for weather but once or twice got a glimpse of how it could have been. prepare for wet and cold, I nearly got hypothermia in the car park at JOG despite all my gear, in driving rain as we loaded the hire car to go home.
vipdog

Post by vipdog »

Tks mill4six,i just came here to have some advice but got a lot of stick.I'm a genuine person and honestly was just looking for some more info .I did start my training tonight i've managed to do 20 miles in 1 hour 15 minutes and was riding my MTB ,i will stick upto 20 miles until the end of the week and next week increase 15 miles .I know 20 miles isn't a lot but for someone who drives to the shop that is around 300 yards is a lot.Wasn't hard to cycle the20 miles but from my knees up hurts like hell but the guy that was cycling with me told me that's normal and i shouldn't panic as if i increase 15 miles every week i will be able to do it.My son did an extra 10 miles but no pain as he is used to cycle.
I know this sounds crazy but i can't wait to be on the road and do it.
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

I am as new to the Jogle as the writer claims but the parameters she has set seem tight from the research I have done...I will be doing a charity ride for Alzheimer's society but will not aim for 90 Miles a day even in the long days of summer! If you want a decent aluminium tourer...£500 quid gets you a revolution Country Explorer. From what I have heard it is a very good value bike who's only downside is that its aluminium (expensive/hard to find repairs if you crash on tour). I have some experience of bike building/repairs and know that it can get you a perfect bike but wouldn't suggest it to you as you seem to have done little research into the type of bike needed so, without being too harsh, I think it would go wrong.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.