Rough equipment list, any ideas and help?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mattraisin

Re: Rough equipment list, any ideas and help?

Postby mattraisin » 24 Feb 2010, 8:53pm

The sandals is a good idea, thank you. And yes I will be keeping a diary as well. I wouldn't consider going without a compass and I will be sure to reduce my first aid kit down. Thanks for all your help.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.

Ron

Postby Ron » 25 Feb 2010, 12:36am

As you are travelling in summer, I would suggest you could omit bike lights and torch. Two days worth of food seems excessive. similarly your First Aid kit, you will never be far from a shop.

mattraisin

Postby mattraisin » 25 Feb 2010, 1:23am

I'm camping so need a torch and If it gets gloomy or I fall behind I would need the lights to ride later or safely in the rain.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.

largeallan

Postby largeallan » 25 Feb 2010, 3:43pm

I'm defo a sandals kinda guy too....so much more pleasant for the feet in summer....sandals are the new rock n roll!!!

...as for compasses, can you not get a bike version of one of those floaty ones you used to get for cars, mounted on the dashboard below the furry dice?

Starfire

Postby Starfire » 26 Feb 2010, 12:13am

Take a decent compass with you, when I did LEJOG last year, like most people I used the pages torn from a Road Atlas, the detail isn't that great and I found that I relied on my compass all of the time. The route I took was mainly on quiet back roads and quite often encountered junctions/crossroad without any signs at all. Sometimes as I was cycling along I would double check with my compass to confirm that I was heading in the right direction. Navigating through some of the larger towns when you are on your own can be difficult if you miss road signs and directions, here the compass comes into its own for getting through, simply by heading in the general direction. It saved me lots of time finding the location of the cycle track to get over the Avon Bridge. Don't rely on one of the floaty type compasses, I've tried a few of these and depending on the equipment you have on your handlebars they are unlikely to accurately point north. Buy yourself a decent Silva or similar compass. I also took with me a few spokes the correct lengths, remember the rear wheel has two different spoke lengths freewheel/non freewheel sides. I also wouldn't travel anywhere without a pack of moist toilet tissue, they will keep you spotlessly clean where it counts, reduce the likelyhood of infections and leaves your backside feeling great, perfect if you wild camp at anytime and can't get a proper wash for a while.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 Feb 2010, 8:30am

+1 for a Silva.

Actually, I had a field on my Garmin Edge 305 set for "Heading". That at least told me I was going in the right direction!
Mick F. Cornwall

mw3230

Postby mw3230 » 26 Feb 2010, 8:49am

Starfire wrote: I also wouldn't travel anywhere without a pack of moist toilet tissue, they will keep you spotlessly clean where it counts, reduce the likelyhood of infections and leaves your backside feeling great, perfect if you wild camp at anytime and can't get a proper wash for a while.

But always remember to wipe your face and hands first!

Starfire also makes a good point about a compass - unless like me you're unfamiliar with the use of one. On many country lanes you could be heading along the correct route but in the wrong direction due to twists and turns. So I guess the answer is a combo of map, compass and best of all a Garmin which is a sort of belt and braces cover all eventualities situation
Retired and loving it

Neil F

Postby Neil F » 27 Feb 2010, 10:19pm

I like to take a small radio with me. A small amount of degressser is useful. Also a washing line and some pegs for drying items. A couple of travel towels are useful . They can be dried by attaching to rear panniers and dry as you ride along. Overshoes or seal skins , I have both. Overshoes were the pain of my GOGLE, sometimes you have to get off and push and I went through 2 pairs . Beware of seal skinz . Water can run down your leg and into them and not come out. Against the rain I use a good old fashioned cape because it of the air circulation keeps me dry and cool, also it can double up as a bike cover. The best idea I came up with was light weight waterproof brightly coloured bags. They are sold a stuff sack on e-bay in sets or can be made to your requirements. I put clean clothes in one dirty/wet ones in another and then the sleeping bag in another. I keep food in one etc. They are coloured coded so I know what goes where and things do not get lost. After a hard days ride it makes packing/unpacking easy . If your clothes do get wet then you can keep them separate in the pannier. They make good pillows when filled with clothes. The stuff sacks are very light weight and not expensive. When you have to put your tent up in the rain you will be glad of them. Head torch , because it does get dark. Do do shake down runs. A camera just to remind you. Also my vote for sandals. Beware of pannier covers , they can come off. I also suggest you look into front panniers. They help distribute the load and make the bike handle better. I use my front ones for food cooking equipment and maps. Pack heavy items low. Tie white ribbons to you tent pegs , you can see them and it makes them easy to pull up.

mattraisin

Postby mattraisin » 28 Feb 2010, 6:40pm

Thanks very much for all the help, much more than I had expected being new to this forum but it turns out that everyone likes to help. Any one recommend a good value pair of front panniers? I'm on a tight-ish budget so not too expensive. I won't be using a Garmin as I am very apt at map reading despite being an 18 year old, subject to my families love of British outdoor walking/cycling holidays and the full scouting system and...because there expensive so my iphone and the tomtom/google maps applications will have to do if I get seriously lost. For summer I don't think I will bother with overshoes, sandals seem to be the best bet and waterproof socks. Are there any suggestions as for how to prepare/train for it and also routes...I am thinking of going down to the west coast and onto the isle of aaran as a starting point but the rest is unplanned, although I want to go through the Lake District. On quick glances does anyone have suggestions on avoiding all heavily populated areas such as around Birmingham, Manchester Leeds, ect. Are there any roads I really should avoid in these areas or any area actually. Thanks for all your help.

meic

Postby meic » 28 Feb 2010, 7:01pm

If you are just doing the one Lejog and then not much more after wards.
These panniers can come very cheap are light and do NOT last long at all.

They have been coming up on this ebay site for as long as I remember, so dont worry about having to rush. We just kept bidding with a maximum of £4 until we got a pair for £3 plus the excessive postage
I mean the SJS front rear pannier sets.

Dont bid against others who have already bid on a pannier it just pushes the prices up.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sjs_cycles/m.html

Keep your eye on the sales section of the forum, as secondhand set of Carradices will last twenty years longer than these but cost a lot more.
Yma o Hyd

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 14 Mar 2010, 8:28pm

Maybe a mobile phone but then would possibly need a charger?
Camera (could be in the phone) but again either replaceable batteries or charger.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gfs4sd76E

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » 14 Mar 2010, 10:46pm

A bar of anti bacterial soap. Available at the chemists. I use it for me and on my clothes. Very good in preventing saddle sores. Cut a normal bar in half, it will last a couple of weeks and it only costs a couple of quid at most should you have to buy another.
+1 for the diary/note book. I wish I had made more notes when I did LeJoG.
I couldn't see a bar bag mentioned. I wouldn't be without one. Much easier and more convenient than delving into the panniers for camera, snacks, gloves etc. A good platform for map or route card.
Thanks to advice on this forum, I am a convert to the benefits of Merino clothing for touring. Comfy and doesn't smell like synthetic clothing.
(Do a search on Merino if you are interested.)