Plotting a route on the Vista HCx

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
patricktaylor

Re: Plotting a route on the Vista HCx

Postby patricktaylor » 23 Mar 2010, 11:23pm

philg wrote:... if on a ride I need to detour, find a 24hr garage, pub, hospital, accomodation, train station......... then having the info to hand on the GPS makes sense to me. YMMV ...

Makes sense to me too. I don't follow what you're saying. That stuff is all on the GPS map. We're talking about plotting a route before you set off. Where does the phone come in?

philg

Postby philg » 23 Mar 2010, 11:51pm

patricktaylor wrote:Makes sense to me too. I don't follow what you're saying. That stuff is all on the GPS map. We're talking about plotting a route before you set off. Where does the phone come in?

Ah, my misunderstanding - I thought you were suggesting Google earth as an alternative to Garmin maps, not supplementary.

Mapsource is clunky but very quick once you're used to it, and transfers to & from the GPS reliably. I haven't used GE much, but it seemed slower to me. Does it produce routes or just tracks? - some people prefer tracks, my preference is for routes.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 24 Mar 2010, 8:22am

philg wrote:... Mapsource is clunky but very quick once you're used to it, and transfers to & from the GPS reliably. I haven't used GE much, but it seemed slower to me. Does it produce routes or just tracks? - some people prefer tracks, my preference is for routes.

Terrain view on Google Maps tends to be slow in my experience, but not Google Earth - the one you install on your hard drive. You draw a 'path' in Google Earth. You can see the terrain (in 3D if required) and you're not limited to roads because you are manually laying down your course as a series of points. This 'path' can then be exported and converted either to a track or a route - whichever you prefer - and opened in MapSource.

philg

Postby philg » 24 Mar 2010, 9:11am

I use Memory Map for laying down off-road tracks manually - it's quite fun but not quick with a point every 20-50m!

OTOH, laying down a 200k route in Mapsource with 50 route points to make it go where you want takes no time at all - define the start and end points then drag the route to the roads you want, done!

I used to use AutoRoute as it has a better UI, and then convert to .gdb, but mainly stick to Mapsource now.

(I am mostly a roadie BTW)

psmiffy

Postby psmiffy » 13 Apr 2010, 12:37am

philg wrote:I use Memory Map for laying down off-road tracks manually - it's quite fun but not quick with a point every 20-50m!

OTOH, laying down a 200k route in Mapsource with 50 route points to make it go where you want takes no time at all - define the start and end points then drag the route to the roads you want, done!

I used to use AutoRoute as it has a better UI, and then convert to .gdb, but mainly stick to Mapsource now.

(I am mostly a roadie BTW)

Is that MS Autoroute? and if so how did you convert to .gbd

Ben Lovejoy

Postby Ben Lovejoy » 2 May 2010, 4:29pm

Mapsource with City Navigator for me, though if I really want fine-grained control I do this:
http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/kit/gps/tutorial/
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 2 May 2010, 8:49pm

Ben Lovejoy wrote:... if I really want fine-grained control ...

I agree with you regarding Google Earth. I use it too, although my method is different:

route-planning-in-google-earth

garmin-etrex-hcx-cycle-touring-setup might help someone.