j o groats to l/end

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ukulele

j o groats to l/end

Post by ukulele »

hi iam new on here can anyone tell me how i find maps for j o groats to l/end iam looking at doing this maybe next year thanks bob
pwillis

Re: j o groats to l/end

Post by pwillis »

There's tons of detailed information on many of the threads here so you've come to the right place. However as a good starting point, get the CTC route maps for Lejog / Jogle... they'll give you 3 differnet routes depending on your requirements and are a good starting point. Otherwise, decide how long you want to take, the type of roads you want (ie A roads faster, B roads and minor roads slower but possibly more scenic), get yourself a road atlas / google maps website and start plotting.

Alternatively, there's hundreds of blogs and most people will detail their route so pick one that sounds good and start with that. Here's a good site detailing many of them http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/

There's no right way (altrhough there are a few wrong ways so listen to peoples advice on here), it all depends on what your requirements are. I'm going through the process myself for a September start and half the fun is in the planning!
ukulele

Post by ukulele »

hi and thanks for the reply iam planing to do it around september 2011 and hope to take about 14-16 days iam in my mid 50s and have only been riding my bike since xmas .i know this will be a big udertaking at the mo i ride 12 miles every day and plan some long w/end ride outs .
pwillis

Post by pwillis »

Plenty of time to build up the miles then... biggest challenge will be mental rather than physical... having and maintaining teh commitment to do the ride will be the biggest test I reckon.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As you have plenty time, get yourself a good, but cheap road atlas and study the various routes you could take. Use a pencil or even a highlighter pen and work out mileages per day and where you'd like to stop each evening, tracing the possible routes.

Try and pick a route that doesn't include trunk roads and dual carriageways - nowt wrong with them really, but if you stay off them you will have a more pleasurable ride.

Surf this forum. There's tons of advice and ideas.

Good luck, and welcome!
Mick F. Cornwall
ukulele

Post by ukulele »

hi i dont think i will have a problem with motavation .i have a good back up motor home that my wife will be driving .
i will be doing it to raise money for katherine house hospce.
my motavation is i lost my oldest daughter 3 years ago .
thanks for your replys and help
pwillis

Post by pwillis »

Sounds like there's nothing more motivating than a cause like that.

Sorry to hear your loss but best wishes for your cycle and charity fund raising!