glasgow or not

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
django44

glasgow or not

Post by django44 »

my wife and I are doing lejog starting early May and originally intended to skirt Glasgow to the east taking route to Stirling and then via Crianlarich to Fort William. Because we have been offered an overnight stay at Strathavon south of Glasgow with a friend I wondered if it would be better to skirt Glasgow to the west, over Erskine Bridge(are bikes allowed?)and then up A82 past loch Lomond.On the map this looks more direct and I seem to recall the loch Lomond road is
good and fairly flat. Any advice would appreciated.-------Geoff.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: glasgow or not

Post by Mick F »

The A82 may be "fairly flat" but it isn't "good" any more. It's too busy with traffic and in the high summer, you get eaten alive by midges!

If you're at Stathaven you're sort of committed to go via Glasgow rather than Forth Road Bridge, but you could still pick your way NE and cross the Forth at Kincardine. From there you can get onto the A977 for Kinross and head up to Perth on the Old A90 and then the Old A9 to Inverness. It's worth thinking about IMHO.

As you can tell, I don't think much of the A82 as a cycling road!
Mick F. Cornwall
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Yes, you can cycle over the Erskine Bridge, there is a cycle path separated from the road. However, I agree with Mick about the A82 being not good for cycling on nowadays. So, you have a couple of other alternatives from Strathaven :

1. Cycle west to the coast and get the ferry to Arran then ferry from Lochranza to Claonaig and cycle up through Kintyre to Oban, etc.

2. Cycle across Glasgow (not too bad outwith rush hour) to the north of the city then head up to the Trossachs and go via Callander to Crianlarich (if you must go via the A82) or Killin and on to Pitlochry for A9 route north.

3. Head northeast from Strathaven to the Forth road bridge via West Lothian minor roads.
irc

Post by irc »

rualexander wrote:Y2. Cycle across Glasgow (not too bad outwith rush hour) to the north of the city then head up to the Trossachs and go via Callander to Crianlarich (if you must go via the A82) or Killin and on to Pitlochry for A9 route north.

That is quite a good route. I used it on my LeJoG. In fact I'm using it again in early May. From Glasgow via Drymen, Aberfoyle, Callander, Killin, Pitlochry.

I don't know the A726 between Strathaven and East Kilbride but from EK the A749 is a nice direct route to Rutherglen without too much traffic. Then the A724 is another road that is fine for cycling towards the city centre. In fact once you get to Rutherglen you can't go wrong just following "City Centre" signs. There are no roads that are any problem.

Leaving the city I suggest the A81 Maryhill Rd to Bearsden then the A809 Stockiemuir Rd to Drymen. Once you are on Maryhill Rd (a big enough road anyone in the city centre will point you the right way) you can't go wrong. The road turns to dual carriageway leaving the city stay in the LH lane until a large roundabout then just follow signs for Drymen.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
spen666

Post by spen666 »

I did Glasgow - Crianlarich- Fort William - Inverrurie and over Muir of Ord on my LEJoG last summer and would do the same again. I had no problems with traffic at all
John-D

Post by John-D »

spen666 wrote:I did Glasgow - Crianlarich- Fort William - Inverrurie and over Muir of Ord on my LEJoG last summer and would do the same again. I had no problems with traffic at all

Nor did I (but I was helped by early starts)
Ron

Post by Ron »

spen666 wrote:Fort William - Inverrurie and over Muir of Ord

:shock: :?:
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

There is a signed cycle route between Strathaven and East Kilbride which avoids the main A726. Not quite as fast but very pleasant.
Cycling across Glasgow is fine outside the rush hour. I'd suggest going through Thorntonall and Castlemilk, then take Polmadie Road towards the river and follow the river into the city centre. From there, either stick to the Maryhill Road heading towards the Trossachs or, if you want to get off the road, follow the Forth and Clyde Canal west for a while.
For a good summary of Glasgow routes try the Go bike website.
I commute into Glasgow from south East Kilbride fairly regularly, and would be happy to guide you through the city centre if I'm around.
Kevin K. Glasgow
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I would avoid the A82 at all costs. as well as being narrow and busy, there are currently roadworks at Ardlui. I don't think the traffic lights have been set up with bikes in mind.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
spen666

Post by spen666 »

Ron wrote:
spen666 wrote:Fort William - Inverrurie and over Muir of Ord

:shock: :?:

wasn't Inverrurie was it? :oops: :oops: was Invermoriston, then Drumnadrochit then Muir of Ord etc
django44

Post by django44 »

Thanks for your replies concerning 'Glasgow or not', much food for thought,but most of you seem to think it quite dooable,so will give it a try.Thanks especially
to Kevin k for his kind offer to quide us through Glasgow, might well take you up on that if your available Kevin,contact you nearer time. CHEERS GEOFF.
fully_loaded

Post by fully_loaded »

Not sure if I'm repeating anyone else's suggestion here, and if so, my apologies.

But how about skirting to the south west of Glasgow, over Erskine Bridge, then heading north west, to the south shore of Loch Lomond, and following NCN 7 to Aberfoyle, up through the Queen Elizabeth Forest off-road route (or along the stunning Duke's Pass), then join the main road at Callander, following the A84 north (with another traffic-free NCN option on the old railway line, if I remember), then taking a right along the shore of Loch Tay, and heading north to the gorgeous Loch Tummel, before joining the A9 either at Pitlochry or further north?

I was on holiday in this neck of the woods last year, and would love to return next year on two wheels during a planned LEJOG. It's so pretty, and surely the stretch of the A84 would be the only slightly busy bit?
bealer

Post by bealer »

Got this dilemma myself.

My family is from Glasgow, so know it well. We've been debating the best route around/through it.

I had originally thought of going anti-clockwise round, but got told the east side isn't the nicest to go through. So I looked at going clockwise around it near Paisley, but I get told that's not great too!

There is a sustran through the middle though, has anyone used that? I will have to go on the A82, but will avoid doing so until near Loch Lomond when it's not dual lane.
irc

Post by irc »

"There is a sustran through the middle though, has anyone used that? I will have to go on the A82, but will avoid doing so until near Loch Lomond when it's not dual lane."

I'd suggest going straight through Glasgow. Once you are at the city centre - George Sq take Take North Hanover Street which is the only uphill exit from the square. After 600M turn 45 degrees left at the traffic lights (4th set from the square). There is a bike shop - Dales - on the right here if needed. Continue forward for 400m and take the road going under the motorway. Immediately under the motorway turn left and you will then see the canal on your left. You need to cross the bridge to take the towpath on the other side of the canal.

Follow the canal towpath through Glasgow to Bowling just east of Dumbarton then continue following Sustrans Loch Lomond signs all the way to Balloch. I rode the Glasgow - Balloch Sustrans route last week. It is well signposted and the surface north of Dumbarton which was poor last time I used the route is now imporoved. No problems anywhere for a touring bike bar a gate or two which are tight. Worst case scenario would be taking panniers on and off going through.

In general I'm not a fan of Sustrans routes but this one is flat, and well signposted, and has good surfaces throughout.

After 13th May I could be available for guiding anyone through from the city centre north or west.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
Big T

Post by Big T »

We we were coming in the opposite direction, but followed the cyclepath through the centre of Glasgow. It starts near Uddingston(sp?) and follows the river to the centre of Glasgow, past the Celtic stadium. You then follow a mixture of canal and old railway paths to Dumbarton and then another riverside path to Balloch. There's a cyclepath along the west side of Loch Lomond, that follows the A82. We used this path, and it's perfectly Ok.

You can get maps of the Glasgow path from the Sustrans Scotland website.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev