Road Bike or Touring Bike

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
brother nathaneil

Road Bike or Touring Bike

Post by brother nathaneil »

Hi, I apologise straight away as I’m sure this is asked every 5 minutes but I’ve searched and just can’t find it!
What is best for E2E? A Road Bike or Touring Bike?

I have decided to do JOGLE next year for charity and 4 of my mates have blindly said they’ll come too! We are non-cycling, 40ish blokes and most of us only have MTB’s and will need to buy more suitable bikes.

We will be supported by a driver with a crew-cab van for luggage, tents and spares. So, as we don't need to carry much.... drinks and a little food, I figure that a Road Bike might be best. I can get a different cassette fitted to the freewheel when purchasing the bike so that I can match (albeit approximately) the gear-inches of the lowest gear on a touring Bike. The bike will be lighter too, and we can stand if required... unlike a Touring Bike.

The only other thing I can think of is mud-guards (will it rain in Scotland? Okay, that was irony), I could always get them fitted when I order the bikes.

.... Any thoughts?
Nathan
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com
Ron

Re: Road Bike or Touring Bike

Post by Ron »

My choice of bicycle would depend on the type of cycling I intended to do after the event, it would seem be a waste to dispose of a bike after your end to end.
I wouldn't consider a multiday trip without mudguards, they keep you and your fellow travellers dry, clean and comfortable. :)
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

+1 for mudguards.

I expect you're already thinking of a road bike with a triple chainset. If you change the rear cassette on a road bike you may also have to replace the rear derailleur for a mountain bike type (eg Shimano Tiagra replaced by Deore). You could get away without having to swap the chain for a longer one.

I've done something similar:

NUKe

Post by NUKe »

ont know how much you want to spend but look at bikes labelled Audax or Sportive if you don't think you want a full blown touer
NUKe

Post by Gearoidmuar »

If you've hardtailed MTBs that could take a carrier, you could fit road tyres and you would have a good tourer. I've often toured on such, and did Lejog on one.
Last edited by Gearoidmuar on 24 Apr 2010, 8:59am, edited 1 time in total.
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Any bike will do the E2E. People have done it on all styles and even a unicycle. Some old sailor from Cornwall is doing it on a Raleigh Chopper later this year would you believe it!!!

Check out his blog

http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com/

ps - Mudguards, YES YES for the comfort of others as well as yourself!
Retired and loving it
brother nathaneil

Thanks for the advice guys...

I've come to the conclusion that as we're not carrying anything but water, a little food, rain clothes and body-weight (lots if that at the moment :D ) we may as well go for the lightest bike with least resistance!

What are your thoughts on the 2010 Raleigh AIRLite 400? I took a look today at the Eastleigh factory and it seems like a nice bike.

We are going to order them as standard and see how it goes in training, if hills prove to be too tough we'll buy a lower ratio wheel-sets to use instead.
If the lack of mud-guards causes an issue we can always retro-fit them later in the year.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Personal Choice I know but if your budget is around 900 take a look at ribble Audax can be had for around 550 but you can then upgrade the components to suit you. others that might suit and I am not trying to put you off the Raliegh just give you more Options Specialized Sectuer, Dawes Audax, and my Favorite (personal choice only not a recommendation) Claud Butler Roubaix. YOu don't want an all out racing postion for long distance riding. Most of the above have a sport geometry and are light wieght with narrow wheels, but enough clearence for mudguards if required. Boardman bikes have good reputation as well but they are race designed

Like I said not trying to put you off Raliegh just give you more choices If you can get to dealers to try out this by far the best option
NUKe

Post by EdinburghFixed »

You don't mention how long you plan to take for the trip, but the other problem with a racing bike is that the efficiency comes at the expense of comfort, particularly if you're not used to the position.

I don't mean to put you off the idea (as I took a lightweight racing-geometry bike with 23mm tyres to Land's End myself) but it's something to think about. An audax or sportif bike is likely to be a bit more tolerable without being noticably slower.

You won't see the point in mudguards until you have a soaking derriere and eight hours left to ride! I think it's something everyone should experience, so provided you get a bike which *can* have mudguards, I'd certainly encourage you to do a long training ride in the rain on it before deciding to fit them.
brother nathaneil

The route is to be finalised, as we all get a bit fitter we'll get more of an idea.
I've suggested 2 x 4 hour stints at an average of 10mph. Yes.... I hope we go faster than that but I'd rather aim low at the beginning!

I'm thinking 80ish miles a day for 13 days. There will be a couple of shorter days though, one half way through (a bit of a rest day) and the last day (so that we can hot-foot it home for the evening).

Do you (anyone) think this is realist / easily achievable? Don't forget none of us are cyclist yet, we do have a year to prepare though!

Talking of preparation, will this be okay?
The route is to be finalised, as we all get a bit fitter we'll get more of an idea.
I've suggested 2 x 4 hour stints at an average of 10mph. Yes.... I hope we go faster than that but I'd rather aim low at the beginning!

I'm thinking 80ish miles a day for 13 days. There will be a couple of shorter days though, one half way through (a bit of a rest day) and the last day (so that we can hot-foot it home for the evening).

Do you (anyone) think this is realistic / easily achievable / too easy? Don't forget none of as are cyclist yet, we do have a year to prepare though!!!

Talking of preparation, will this be okay? I aim for this to be the MINIMUM training:
One ride a week in May - 20 mile ride
One ride a week in June - 20 mile ride
One ride a week in July - 30 mile ride
One ride a week in June - 40 mile ride
One ride a week in July / August - 50 mile ride
One ride a week in September / October / November / December - 60 mile ride
Two Rides per week in January - 40 / 60 mile rides
Two Rides per week in February - 50 / 70 mile rides
Two Rides per week in March - 60 / 80 mile rides
Two Rides per week in April - 70 / 80 mile rides
Two Rides per week at the begining of May - 80 / 80 mile rides
Saturday (21 days to go) - 90 mile ride out
Sunday (20 days to go) - 90 mile ride Home
Wednesday (17 days to go) - 90 mile ride
Saturday (12 days to go) - 90 mile ride
Wednesday (10 days to go) - 90 mile ride
Saturday before - 90 mile ride
Friday - Travel to JOG
Saturday - Tour starts

I aim for this to be the MINIMUM training, I am sure when we all get into it we'll be doing more than this but at least this will set minimum targets.
What are your thoughts?

Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Too much emphasis on distance, not enough on frequency. You can do it like that, but that training will be hard.

Using my body as a laboratory for thirty years I've found that the most useful component in training is frequency.
If, e.g. you go out and do 25 miles a day, really easy, for 10 days on the trot, you will be astonished at how fit you'll get after a couple of days off at the end.
I do three days a week all year round, in the winter doing maybe 100-120 mpw. Currently I'm doing three or four days a week and doing c150mpw. I did 240 miles last week. From now on I'll cycle more frequently and take it easy and will do a few 100 milers. You need the long ones to toughen your body, not your legs.
The reason I don't do the 10 days on the trot routine except occasionally, is that I don't enjoy cycling every day. But it's a helluva way to get fit.
brother nathaneil

Should I lower my distances but do three rides a week? Or do three ride a week at said distances?

If I do two long rides per week as per my suggestion and ride 10 miles every other day, would that be okay?
Something like:

Sunday - 10
Monday - 10
Tuesday - 10
Wednesday - 40
Thursday - 10
Friday - 10
Saturday - 60

Is there a definitive training schedule? I'm really hoping someone will say..."Just do this and you'll be fine!" I know everyone's different but there must be a minimum level!