Pannier Problems.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mattraisin

Pannier Problems.

Post by mattraisin »

I have a pair of old Karrimor panniers the same as these http://static.lfgss.com/attachments/115 ... c01807.jpg. Recently the elastic and metal hook separated from each other (this was used to attach the panniers at the bottom) which led me to worry about a few things despite it being easily fixable. These panniers when fully loaded can carry my tent, thermarest, tools and spares, clothing, food and sleeping bag at a squeeze. They measure about 33 cm x 23cm x 17cm (hxwxd) (13 litres each?) so are not large panniers. When they are fully loaded they seam to swing out slightly as the load stretches the elastic and the bike handling feels wobbly speeds upwards of 15 miles an hour. My original plan was to buy the carradry rear panniers (58l) and use my current panniers as front panniers. I know 58 L is plenty for a camping JOGLE but would like something with future challenges in mind and would like to spread out the weight to counter handling problems. I am worried as to whether the old karrimors are, one, small enough to be used as fronts and two secure enough as it relies on metal clips at the top and a central elastic and hook at the bottom. The options in my price range are the original plan above at about 70 pounds or buying a new pair of front panniers...probably ortileb front rollers or carradice carradry and using my existing panniers as rears. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Matt
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
mattraisin

Re: Pannier Problems.

Post by mattraisin »

As an extra note any one who has any spare panniers they would like to sell then I would be interested.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
boblo

Post by boblo »

Mine look just like that but they are rears (18l each). They have the elastic and hook fixing and clips at the top. I use them at the front on my low riders, I use Iberian's (56l?) at the back. This combo gives enough capacity on the tandem for two camping.

I replaced one set of elastics with DIY shop hooks and elastic, the other is still going strong. I'll keep using the panniers until they wear out as I like the capacity and lightish build. I don't get any wobbles or wafting and don't notice any impact on handling.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

If I read this right... Spa Cycles has the Carradry front, rear and bar bag for £139!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Not quite sure how your elastic fixes on at the back of the pannier, but I had a similar problem when I bought a set from Halfords. I had to "Manufacture a fixing as the pannier and rack didn't appear to be compatible.

pannier fixing.JPG

I found a set of tent rubber bands in a camping shop, absolutly no idea where they go on a tent but they've been on for 18 months no problem the rubber band slips under a small aluminium hook that I made and fixes to the pannier fixing point at the bottom, the rubber bands were pence! :D

hope that helps

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Can you get some bungee cord at a camping or outdoor shop, tie a tight loop in it, through the fixation point on the pannier and when you have the pannier hanging by its hooks, pull this loop down and hook it on some area of your carrier? That's what we did for years. Cost, almost nada.
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

My pannier rack Requires a hook of some kind for this sort of fixing as there isn't part of the rack that a loop could just slip over. Any idea where you can buy metal hooks?
Si

Post by Si »

I can't be doing with the little lackys at the bottom - too fiddly on mine. I just fill the pannier and then put a bungee all the way around it, hooked to the rack legs at the back. Feels much more secure than the bottom lackys and less hassle to get rigged up.
jackallen

Post by jackallen »

I've just dug out my dad's old panniers which are the same version and need the elastic replacing.

You can get the replacement hooks online at a few places, I just googled "pannier elastic hooks" and found this site: http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1911
PW

Post by PW »

I'm still using a set of Silvaguard Iberians, similar to those. I ditched the hooks years ago. Most carriers have a prong sticking out where the legs are welded together at the bottom. Get some spare tent bungys, like very thick rubber bands from the camping shop. Pass one end through the D ring on the back of the pannier, then pass the other end through the band itself, so it locks onto the D ring. The resulting loop then hooks over the carrier leg. It won't come off when you hit a pot hole either.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!