Am I doing enough?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Gearoidmuar

Re: Am I doing enough?

Postby Gearoidmuar » 22 May 2010, 7:51am

The real key to a tour like this is to take it easy on the hills. Going fast uphill is the major cause of fatigue. You should try to keep your level of effort on hills the same as on the flat, by gearing down and twirling. Cyclists are inclined to stand up and power up hills. On a long tour, this is not a good idea.

PW

Postby PW » 22 May 2010, 10:55am

By and large I agree with that, the exception being on a long grind, where it sometimes gives the legs a rest to go up 2 cogs and honk for 1/4 mile before gearing down and resuming the seat.
I always work on the principle that I should JUST be able to carry on a conversation whilst riding. IIRC that's an old rule of thumb for staying in the "fat burning zone" around 70% of max heartrate where the body can keep going all day.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

drpeterharris

Postby drpeterharris » 22 May 2010, 1:35pm

We are starting JOGLE on Monday and are aiming at similar daily mileages to you with a 3 week total time to do 1000 miles. (see www.macjogle.co.uk)

We did a 4 day reality check last month by riding the Devon Coast to Coast both ways. This enabled us to check that we were taking the right stuff with us and also gave us some back-to back 50 mile days as well as experiencing a few Devon hills.

It all went very well and we feel more confident now.

Peter

Mike G

Postby Mike G » 22 May 2010, 2:07pm

drpeterharris wrote:We are starting JOGLE on Monday and are aiming at similar daily mileages to you with a 3 week total time to do 1000 miles. (see http://www.macjogle.co.uk)
We did a 4 day reality check last month by riding the Devon Coast to Coast both ways. This enabled us to check that we were taking the right stuff with us and also gave us some back-to back 50 mile days as well as experiencing a few Devon hills.
Peter

I've been following your blog, Peter........and I wish you well on your trip. In fact, you've sort-of set our training routine for us, unknowingly of course. We'll be following your journey with interest.

Mike

drpeterharris

Postby drpeterharris » 22 May 2010, 2:30pm

I've been following your blog, Peter........

I rashly showed Jane how to blog the other night so you can expect some views from the female side from now on :roll:

Peter

Mike G

Postby Mike G » 22 May 2010, 3:20pm

Yes........there was a recent posting about underwear and hair driers, I noticed...... :D