Training for 10 day JOGLE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
tomob57

Training for 10 day JOGLE

Postby tomob57 » 30 May 2010, 11:33pm

Hi all,
I'm starting my end to end in about 8 weeks, and I'm looking for advice on training. I'm hoping to go about 95 miles a day, taking a fairly scenic route. I'm carrying a tent and planning to camp wherever I can find.

I'm thinking of a pretty intensive training along these lines:
week 1-3: hit the gym hard to get a good base.
week 4-6: start building up endurance on the road by cycling 5/6 days a week.
weeks 7-8: long sessions, 80/90 miles back to back.

I'm pretty motivated and in good shape, but have no prior experience of long distance cycling. As a student I can train every day though.

Is this training over optimistic? I'm pretty sure JOGLE is easier than it sounds.

Out of interest my route is this: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 240479&z=8

Cherwell

Re: Training for 10 day JOGLE

Postby Cherwell » 31 May 2010, 12:31pm

Week 1 - 2: On road cycling 4 days a week. Long steady distance but don't overdo it. Visit gym once a week. Upper body, core strength and stretching excersises - no leg exercises.
Week 3: Recovery. Easy does it. Ride your bike nice and steady but don't over exert yourself. Go to gym once a week as before.
Week 4 - 5: As for weeks 1 & 2 but increase intensity and distance. Include some tough hilly rides to get the hills into your legs. Go to gym once a week as before.
Week 6: Recovery as before.
Week 7: Two long sessions back to back, one recovery ride, one high intensity ride and one visit to gym.
Week 8: Recovery as before.

To do 95 miles a day requires exceptional raw endurance, muscular endurance and strength for climbing combined with the need to recover quickly to be ready for the next day. Recovery is key. You have to train your body to recover quickly. Rest days, cross training and very low intensity rides are all ways of doing this.

Further reading - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclists-Traini ... 227&sr=1-1

tomob57

Postby tomob57 » 31 May 2010, 8:05pm

Looks like some good advice, thanks!!
I'd better get started then!

lastant

Postby lastant » 2 Jun 2010, 2:52pm

Cherwell wrote:To do 95 miles a day requires exceptional raw endurance, muscular endurance and strength for climbing combined with the need to recover quickly to be ready for the next day. Recovery is key. You have to train your body to recover quickly. Rest days, cross training and very low intensity rides are all ways of doing this.

Whilst I think this is good advice, I'm not sure it's strictly true. I've just completed a twelve day LEJOG, covering 1,056 miles in the process*. I didn't train anywhere near as much as I had planned to yet came out of it feeling pretty damn good physically - certainly no aching legs, suprisingly!

I covered roughly 400 miles a month for January through to April and only had two long runs that were over fifty miles (a 114 and a 118 mile day) which weren't back to back. Having said that, maybe I do have a better base fitness than perhaps I realise!

The biggest challenge, in my opinion, is mental. Get your head round the fact that you're going to be on the bike for something like ten hours or so a day and that's going to help. A lot.

* - blog here
One Man and LEJOG. End to End on Two Wheels in Twelve Days.
http://onemanandlejog.wordpress.com

mattraisin

Postby mattraisin » 2 Jun 2010, 8:07pm

Us students don't have that much time on our hands!! Currently doing exams and haven't managed to train for almost 2 weeks!
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.

enigmatic

Postby enigmatic » 4 Jun 2010, 3:53pm

You should have done your base miles during last winter! Having said that, if you're reasonably fit, have the right mental attitude, don't try to ride too fast and make plenty of cafe stops, you should do it in 10 days with ease. Especially with a following wind and no rain :D

Just noticed you're riding JoG-LE, are you sure you know what you're doing? Against the prevailing wind and with all the steep hills in the last two days? Best of luck.

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 4 Jun 2010, 5:49pm

I did LEJOG last year, infact at this very time last year I was just waving good by to Mick F as he left us at Betty Cottles :D after a great run from Camelford :D

I had head winds all the way, even down off Rannoch Moor and Iwas looking forward to that long freewheel down to Glen Co :(

Mick seems to have had good winds for his JoGEL on his Chopper, so may be it's not quite as cut and dried any more, I think the seasons are changing but not being a meteorolergist? .... weatherman :) I cant really say. the headwinds weren't bad just annoying when you plan for tail winds.

get as much training in as you can, and then enjoy the ride,

Good luck

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.