JOGLE Route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
MattE

JOGLE Route

Post by MattE »

Hi, I am in the process of planning my route for Jogle and would appreciate any advice that anyone can give. The intention is to cover about 50 miles a day keeping off main roads as far as possible and only using off road routes where they are paved.
I have plotted a route using the Sustrans mapping – not the easiest but it did show me cycle routes.

Basically my route is:
Day 1 JOG – Kirtomy
Day 2 Kirtomy – Achinduich
Day 3 Achinduich- Inverness
Day 4 Inverness- Spean Bridge
Day 5 Spean Bridge- Crianlarich
Day 6 Crianarich- Glasgow
Day 7 Glasgow- Elvanfoot
Day 8 Elvanfoot- Carlisle
Day 9 Carlisle- Kendal
Day 10 Kendal- Chorley
Day 11 Chorley- Chester
Day 12 Chester- Church Stretton
Day 13 Church Stretton- Hereford
Day 14 Hereford- Avon mouth
Day 15 Avon mouth- Taunton
Day 16 Taunton- Drewsteinton
Day 17 Drewsteinton- Camelford
Day 18 Camelford- Hayle
Day 19 Hayle- Land’s End

As far as I can tell the link to the routes is:
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map#userrout ... 37594056,1

If anyone has knowledge of any of these routes and the time to look them over and suggest any improvements I would be very grateful.

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: JOGLE Route

Post by Mick F »

Hello Matt, and welcome to the forum.

Take a look at these routes. The Old A30 is a good road and will take you all the way from Exeter to Launceston.
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=112393

From there, follow this:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=117091

and this:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=112397

As for your Scottish legs, I wouldn't follow the A82 route for all the tea in China! Far better is the Old A9 from Inverness to Perth, then the Old A90 to Edinburgh.
Mick F. Cornwall
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

I know Mick F hates the A82, this is probably due to a combination of bad experience and having known the road when it was much quieter and less HGV oriented in it's layout.

We cycled it on our JoGLE last month and found it excellent (except for the sections they hadn't got round to resurfacing yet!). We had no problems with the traffic (the A6 was MUCH busier and at times downright frightening through Lancashire) although this may have been down to our set up - Tandem with Extra Wheel trailer. We think the drivers hadn't a clue what we were & so gave us more space!

We went A82 because we wanted to do the Great Glen, Spean Bridge Commando Memorial and Glencoe (amazing ride!) and I'm really glad we did. Don't be put off!
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
MattE

Post by MattE »

Thanks for the comments and route through Devon/Cornwall, a great help.
Looking at Scotland, the old A9 route seems a good alternative, especially bearing in mind comments on other posts about midges, they seem to find me particularly tasty!
Has anyone plotted or described this route as I am having some trouble tracking it on the map.
skytandem

Post by skytandem »

Deckie wrote:We went A82 because we wanted to do the Great Glen, Spean Bridge Commando Memorial and Glencoe (amazing ride!) and I'm really glad we did. Don't be put off!

I agree entirely. On our tandem LEJOG we took the hilly coastal route via St Ives, Padstow and Wadebridge, rather than the more direct route (living in the Yorkshire Dales we like tackling hills), and in Scotland we took the A82 because we wanted to cycle across Rannoch Moor and down Glencoe. We enjoyed our route immensely.

Take all the advice you can, of course, but it's your own journey.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MattE wrote:Thanks for the comments and route through Devon/Cornwall, a great help.
Looking at Scotland, the old A9 route seems a good alternative, especially bearing in mind comments on other posts about midges, they seem to find me particularly tasty!
Has anyone plotted or described this route as I am having some trouble tracking it on the map.

Yes. I have it, but having a bit of difficulty loading my actual route onto Bikeroutetoaster. I'll keep trying.

My route from only last month is Old A9 from Inverness to the top of Drumochter Pass, where I went onto the New A9 as it's downhill for 20 miles! I peeled off onto the Old A9 again at Blair Athol.

From Pitlochry, I followed Old A9 again and cycle tracks to just north of Perth where I got stuck into the traffic on the A9 into the city. No problems at all.

From Perth, you follow the Old A99 down through Fife. I was riding with DougieB from there and he showed me an excellent way into Edinburgh city centre without using the busy main roads.

I'll try an upload my routes again, so check in later.
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

My I suggest an alternative to cross Devon. From Taunton R3 to Tiverton. At Tiverton turn on to Witheridge(B3137 then B3042) passing by on to Eggesford Station and then Hatherleigh via Winkleigh. At Hathereigh you can pick up R3. Very quiet road goes across the mid Devon ridge cuts out a lot of hills but great views. Used it on my JOGLE. Passes good camp site if you are camping.
MattE

Post by MattE »

Thank you for the routes and advice, giving me lots to think about!

Could any one tell me whether the Bridgewater Taunton canal path has any paved sections? Trying to avoid the A38 but have ended up with quite a convoluted route.

Only a couple of weeks till I start, just need to get my exams out of the way first.
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

As I recall the canal path was good but the setion near to Tiverton was very narrow, and at the time very wet, so I went on a road that followed the canal.
John-D

Post by John-D »

I used it from Taunton to Bridgwater and it was fine (except that when I first got onto it I took the path by the river, instead :oops: , ie the NCP33 rather the NCP3 which is the canal towpath)
drpeterharris

Post by drpeterharris »

We did the Taunton canal path last week and the biggest problem was the compulsory dismounts every time you go under a bridge

My wife likes canal paths because they are flat but I find them a bit slow

Peter
MattE

Post by MattE »

Thanks for all your help, looking forward to getting started now. If anyone else is leaving JOG on 1 July see you there!
paul dormer

Post by paul dormer »

MattE wrote:Thanks for all your help, looking forward to getting started now. If anyone else is leaving JOG on 1 July see you there!

I'm starting the day before so I don't think you'll catch me up but best of luck!

Paul
Marlow

Post by Marlow »

Mick F wrote:Apologies, but I can't seem to get my routes through in one piece, so I've divided the Inverness to Edinburgh into smaller bits.

@Mick

I had a look through your GPX files, they contain a lot of data points, which I why I think you couldn't upload them in one piece.

I retraced your route using Anquet and generated a single GPX from Queensferry up to Inverness (I'm going South to North - I think!). If you are happy I can upload that to Bike Route Toaster and post a link?