Penrith - Windermere A592

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jeremy Bond

Penrith - Windermere A592

Post by Jeremy Bond »

I am planning to go JOGLE in June 2011 and I have planned my route to Penrith.

I did plan to head towards Kirkby Lonsdale via Maulds Maeburn, Orton and Tebay, but then I wondered about heading to the heart of the Lake District and cycle the A592 to Windermere. However this route looks hilly especially at the place named Kirkstone , but I expect the scenery to be great.

I am from Cornwall so I am use to a few hills. If there someone out there who knows this route, how busy is this road, how steep are the climbs (especially for someone with luggage on their bike) do you recommend it!

Thanks
gbnz

Re: Penrith - Windermere A592

Post by gbnz »

It's worth doing, the scenery being superb (I've used the road on numerous occasions). I used to avoid cycling in the lakes due to my perception of traffic levels; in reality I've never found traffic levels to be problem. Above all, due to the roads being fairly tightly constricted, with few opportunities for overtaking, most motorists appear to hold off the throttle and keep speeds down. Kirkstone Pass is the only particularly steep/difficult section, though I've always been able to cycle it while loaded. The direct route from Winderemere over Kirkstone,is a bit drawn out, though gradients are relatively easy. The indirect route from Ambleside over Kirkstone is hard work (25% gradient at a guess?). When loaded with rear panniers I've had to walk sections, purely due to the bike tipping over backwards
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A lot depends on what day you hit it.
Weekends and the Lakes can be chock-a-block.
Mid-week and it could be a pleasant run.
The first section around Ulswater is fairly flat but there are bits of lumps.
The last section, from Hartsop to Kirkstone Pass Inn is a long steady (slightly twisting) increasing climb.
Then you have the choice of DROPPING down to Ambleside or staying on the A592 to Troutbeck and Windermere.
The roads are narrow and are not mainly wide enough to allow 2 cars and cyclist side by side but, as you guess, the sceneary is great. (If you have chance to look at it.
After Windermere what would be your next port of call?

The Orton road is generally quiet as you are away from the main tourist routes.
Sustrans route 68 from Tebay south is worth a ride around the Howgills.
You then have the choice of using the A683 to Kirby Lonsdale or the lanes running parallel with it?

Where, basically are you heading for after the above. The A6 is the "easiest" route but the busiest.
There are lanes running again parallel but not as flat. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Jeremy Bond

Post by Jeremy Bond »

Thanks folks for your advice. I have decided to take a challenge and go over the Kirkstone Pass. I believe Kirkstone Pass with an altitude of 1,489 feet is the Lake District's highest pass that is open to motor traffic! I hope it's as good as what you say! I will call this my mountain stage of the JOGLE!

I have pick up on the forum a route recommended after Windermere, it leaves Bowness on Windermere on the A5074 to Crosthwaite, and then follow the back roads to Levens. I then decided to take the A6 to Beetham, across to Burton in Kendal, then on the back roads to Over Kellet and Caton. Then it's south to Preston picking up some of the National Cycle Network.

Does this route meet with your approval Cycleruk, or is there a better / easier way as I need a nice route after the climb from the morning!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Nice route from Bowness to Levens. Goes up and down a bit but not serious.
If you go through Brigsteer then there is a small climb upto the hamlet but then after that nice quiet narrow lanes to Levens. The A5074 is quicker but brings you out on the fast A590 road. (We use this road for time trialling)
The A6 from Levens to Beetham is reasonably wide and good. There is a climb though from Heversham over to Milnthorpe.
Cafes in Milnthorpe, Beetham. Carry on past Beetham then Moss Lane to Burton - or stay on A6 to dual carriageway over railway/ roundabout. After RB on A6 1st left "Borwick Lane" (over M6) then 1st right Kellet Lane to Over Kellet. To get to Caton you shouldn't go through Nether Kellet.
You are then looking for Quernmore etc.
This route is what we term as rolling but thats without a load so will be harder for you..
The A6 through Lancaster is generally easier to peddle but the lanes are a lot quieter and pleasant.
The lanes will take you longer in time.
It depends on your time table.
jazzkat

Post by jazzkat »

Jeremy Bond wrote:Thanks folks for your advice. I have decided to take a challenge and go over the Kirkstone Pass. I believe Kirkstone Pass with an altitude of 1,489 feet is the Lake District's highest pass that is open to motor traffic! I hope it's as good as what you say! I will call this my mountain stage of the JOGLE!

I have pick up on the forum a route recommended after Windermere, it leaves Bowness on Windermere on the A5074 to Crosthwaite, and then follow the back roads to Levens. I then decided to take the A6 to Beetham, across to Burton in Kendal, then on the back roads to Over Kellet and Caton. Then it's south to Preston picking up some of the National Cycle Network.

Does this route meet with your approval Cycleruk, or is there a better / easier way as I need a nice route after the climb from the morning!

Some good roads there.

I rode from Grange-o-s to Penrith and back two weeks ago, taking the very route you suggest. I went out on the A6 over Shap and back round Ullswater, over kirkstone and down the lyth valley. I second everything that has been said already, but will add that the road around Ullswater is rough. Big holes horrible surface - the worst I've ever ridden on, seriously - I wish I'd been on my mountain bike :shock: :lol: !. Kirkstone from the north is a steeper climb than from the south (25%- for a long way- good luck fully loaded!). Mind you, you can get some speed up going down the other side - just watch for sheep!
Bowness to Levens is great, it can be busy, but it's not bad, most drivers give you plenty of room. There is a way from Levens to the A6 avoiding the A590 although there's a hill involved (of course) having said that as long as you don't get to the A590 at rush hour you'll be OK.
I'd do something like this google map linky

I must admit I like the Orton route, much quieter still scenic, just not as rugged (or as steep!) as "the lakes"
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

All good suggestions. Orton is a lot quieter route.

Throough from Levens to Caton is also a good route, if you then turn left via quernmore you avoid Lancaster which can be a bit messy with one systems unless you use the cycle bridge.
From quernmore use lanes down to Scorton (2 decent cafes) and then you can use lanes to avoid the A6 into Preston, East side lanes tend to be a hillier than those on the west of the A6.

Alternatively if you do go into Lancaster and use the cycle bridge, turn right at the end of it, pass in front of the old warehouses with the river on your right and you will be on the cycle route toward Condor Green and Glasson Dock (cafe at Condor Green by the car park, or cafes in Glasson Dock).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Optional modification to Jazzcats map:-
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 5&t=h&z=16

Revert to "MAP" and expand to show alternative route through Brigsteer.
For some reason Google won't let me route down "Borwick Lane" but is good over M6 to Kellet Lane.
Route shown continued to Scorton and is quieter than A6 but then you are carrying a load so only you know which you prefer.
Carnforth is a bit of a bottleneck due to traffic lights and then A6 is quieter again until Lancaster.
The A6 through Lancaster is always busy and the A6 south to Preston carries a lot of traffic.
There are a fair amount of "cycle lane" gutters through Lancaster and to Preston which help.
This route is 40 miles long.
Last edited by cycleruk on 30 Jun 2010, 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
drpeterharris

Post by drpeterharris »

We did JOGLE recently and went from Carlisle to Threlkeld and on to Bowness via the back of Thirlmere.

There was quite a climb from Carlisle up onto Mungrisdale common but it was absolutely beautiful with free range horses and a very nice community pub (frequented by Prince Charles) and tearoom in Hesket Newmarket.

The road round Thirlmere was also very nice and quiet.

Only busy bit was Thirlmere to Windermere but even that wasnt too bad (and it was school holiday). Detailed route on my website www.macjogle.co.uk

I can recommend it.

Peter
Jeremy Bond

Post by Jeremy Bond »

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's great to have your local knowledge to help me plan my route.

Thanks Jazzkat for your warning that Kirkstone is a steeper climb from the north. 25%- for a long way- good luck fully loaded!). I have decided to go for it, and live life dangerously. It is going to be a challenge and will make the 6th day of my JOGLE ride different from the other days. I am sure this day will be one of the highlights of the trip, for one reason or another! :oops:

It was great that you were all willing to help me plan the rest of the day for me. I have taken on board what you have all said and have decided to avoid Lancaster. So after the Kirkstone pass my route will be Bowness on Windermere, Crosthwaite, Brigsteer, Levens, then on the A6 through Heversham, Milnthorpe and Beetham. Then on the back roads (to avoid Lancaster) through Burton on Kendal, Over Kellet, Caton, Quermore to Bays Horse, then back on the A6 to Preston.

This day will be a Sunday, so the roads should be quieter than a weekday. With your help, I am sure I have planned a great Sunday ride. Can't wait
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

be warned, on sunday north of preston the a6 is not quiet. there are regular car boots at st michaels and when this traffic spills out on to the a6 it is bedlam due to traffic lights at broughton, this is as well as normal sunday traffic.
far easier to keep off the a6 and from bay horse head to scorton, keep south on lanes towards bilsborrow where you can cross the a6 at guys thatched hamlet, after about 3/4's mile turn left and again you can pick up some quiet lanes that will lead you through woodplumpton and into the back of preston on far quieter roads, pm for more detailed info if you wish
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jazzkat

Post by jazzkat »

Jeremy Bond wrote: So after the Kirkstone pass my route will be Bowness on Windermere, Crosthwaite, Brigsteer, Levens, then on the A6 through Heversham, Milnthorpe and Beetham. Then on the back roads (to avoid Lancaster) through Burton on Kendal, Over Kellet, Caton, Quermore to Bays Horse, then back on the A6 to Preston.

This day will be a Sunday, so the roads should be quieter than a weekday. With your help, I am sure I have planned a great Sunday ride. Can't wait

Give me a shout nearer the time and if you want a bit of company I may meet you before Kirkstone and ride down to Milnthorpe with you - If you want the company of course :D
Jeremy Bond

Post by Jeremy Bond »

Thanks Jazzkat, it will be great to have your company and your local knowledge, but we will actually be coming through on a Monday (I miscalculated!). Unsure if you will still be free?
jazzkat

Post by jazzkat »

I'm not sure of your exact itinerary, but I reckon I'll be at work on any Monday in June (teaching), although I've not got my holiday dates to hand.
Jeremy Bond

Post by Jeremy Bond »

Hi Jazzkat,The plan is to cycle through on Mon 20th June 2011. I expect you will be teaching!