Inverness to Wick - why not?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
nige1560

Re: Inverness to Wick - why not?

Post by nige1560 »

Just completed my LEJOG in August. IMO the A9 isn't that bad although I can only talk about North of Inverness. Road can be reasonbly quiet and on the whole everyone gives you room. Having driven from Perth to Inverness in a car many times I can see the futility of riding a bike on it. Fast speeds, suicidal overtaking etc. As Mike F says use the old A9 where you can.
IMO the A82 is far worse than the A9 particularly from Ballachulish to Fort William. We tried to use the Great Glen route from Fort William but got as far as Laggan Locks before we succumbed to the A82. In places it is really nasty up to Drumnadrochit.
The A30 in Cornwall is IMO the worst of all. Motorway standard for much of the time, vehicles screaming by at horrendous speeds. not nice! You take your life into your hands when approaching a slip road coming on to it.
Loved the trip though :D
nige
Philip Whiteman

Re: Inverness to Wick - why not?

Post by Philip Whiteman »

I rode this stage last August.

SUICIDAL

The section across the Kessock Bridge and to the Tore Roundabout along the A9. There is a reasonable NCN route alongside between these two points.

AN ALTERNATIVE

The section between Tore and Tain can by busy and unpleasant but not awful. Think about riding up the Black Isle and across the Cromarty Ferry (which is not currently operating at the time I write this) http://www.cromarty-ferry.co.uk/

TAIN NORTHWARDS

Not at all bad unless you are cycling into a relentless NE wind. Traffic wise it is not too bad. It does become rather tedious riding along the same road for such a long distance. Wick never seems to come.

HILLS

Non stop LEJoGers will tell you that this by fast the worst section. Its relentlessness in direction does include some climbs north of Helmesdale and some smaller ones further south. These can be tiring and slow the pace considerably. Out of Helmesdale is a haul but does break up the monotony.