Tyre Size

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Daz

Tyre Size

Post by Daz »

Im cycling LEJOG in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice on tyre size for my Thorn Touring bike. Im going with 2 panniers on the back which will be of an average weight I suppose and I myself weigh 9.5 stone (not sure if this makes any difference or not).

The two tyre sizes Ive got at the moment are 28 or 23. Does anyone know which would be best or if I should go for something in between? Any advice would be great.
tooley92

Re: Tyre Size

Post by tooley92 »

Tyres are always a personal thing, I would go with the 28's as they will be comfier when you are riding all day for a good number of days. I usually tour on 700x35c Schwalbe Marathons (but I weigh a good 6 stone more than you!).
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
robgul

Post by robgul »

tooley92 wrote:Tyres are always a personal thing, I would go with the 28's as they will be comfier when you are riding all day for a good number of days. I usually tour on 700x35c Schwalbe Marathons (but I weigh a good 6 stone more than you!).

Agree ... and pump them up to about 8-10psi more than it says on the tyre-wall for lower rolling resistance

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
horizon

Post by horizon »

Hi daz

Most touring bikes come with 32s and what you are planning is straight touring stuff. However the Thorn Audax comes with 28s. I know what my choice would be (32s or 35s) but AFAIK there is no consensus on tyre sizing on this forum, even thought it is mainly a touring forum. There are posts on here that will recommend anything from 23 to 40 something. You must already have your 28s for a reason so why not go with them?
Last edited by horizon on 16 Aug 2010, 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bear in mind also that one tyre company's 28mm can be another's 25mm
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

I've done LeJoG and toured extensively with panniers (YHA/B&B's, not camping) using 23c front/25c rear and had no problems except when I ran over a shard of metal whilst passing a car crash! You should be fine with 28c.
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

thirdcrank wrote:Bear in mind also that one tyre company's 28mm can be another's 25mm

Very true, I used to use 28mm Specialized Touring 2K4's years ago and they were nearer to 25mm.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

I've done LEJOG on 28s and would not recommend it. I'm my view they cannot hack it with a loaded bike. I would recommend 35mm minimum. You can get 35mm Schalbe Marathon tyres with a road tread which will take 85 PSI and roll well on roads, apart from being indestructable. I think when you are touring, the last thing you want to do is to be worrying about your tyres. Get something safe and beefy.

Dave
horizon

Post by horizon »

Well we've managed to get strong recommendations so far for a low of 23 and a high of 35. I am wondering if we can shift either of these parameters even further outward before the night is out. The OP is no doubt just calculating the average as the only sane way forward and, hey presto (or should that be hey presta?), it's 29!

Oops - I've just seen that daveydave's post gives 35 minimum.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

DaveyDave wrote:I've done LEJOG on 28s and would not recommend it. I'm my view they cannot hack it with a loaded bike. .

Dave

I've done two continents over a twelve month period, on 28mm tyres, carrying 12 months camping kit and including occasional 130 mile dirt road sections. I didn't have an issue

In my view they can hack it with a loaded bike. I'd advise you to ignore me and Dave and follow the sound advice, that "tyres are always a personal thing" :wink:
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

19 mm silks are the best for this type of tour, or maybe some 56 mm big apples.
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

TheBrick wrote:19 mm silks are the best for this type of tour.

Now we're talking! I can hear the 'rip' of the tubs on the tarmac now!

Seriously (or at least, more seriously) yes tyres are a matter of personal choice, and personal riding style. At the end of the day, read all the advice then go with whatever you're happy with. Just accept that whatever you use will be a trade-off between relative speed and relative reliability. If you're a smooth rider and relatively lightweight, travelling over good tarmac, you can get away with lighter/narrower tyres. And vice versa. One thing I would advise - fit new rim tapes and tubes as well as new (or at least very good condition) covers.
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

Are the tyres the same make but different widths or different makes and what are they ?
The Only Cyclist In The Village
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Ash28

I'm not sure which post you are referring to in yours.

This is SB on dishonesty in tire sizing.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#dishonest

I think European manufacturers particularly Schwalbe and Hutchinson tend to be fatter for a given size, Japanese tyres tend to be slimmer.
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

thirdcrank wrote:Ash28

I'm not sure which post you are referring to in yours.

I think Ash28 was referring to the OP.

I think European manufacturers particularly Schwalbe and Hutchinson tend to be fatter for a given size, Japanese tyres tend to be slimmer.

Are you implying tyre sizes reflect national body types? :?