Lejog report with a difference

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
birkhead

Re: Lejog report with a difference

Post by birkhead »

I carried all the way from LE to Preston a map of cycle routes sent to me by the Council, because I found it impossible to print off the relevant bit from the website map. It was a brilliant route that wove over and under many motorways, mainly through parkland with small children the main hazard, and ended up in Avenham Park, where there was an excellent cafe serving delicious cakes. Then, because we had to get a move on to Carlisle, so we decided to try the main road A6 out for a bit, and because it was parallel to the M6 it was empty of traffic, so we rode on a well graded well surfaced empty 3 lane or dual carriageway. Tho we had planned to take the canal towpath out of the town which was described as beautiful. Never mind. So my memory of Preston is all positive. It pays to do the homework! :)
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Mike G wrote:Thank you so much John, I appreciate your comments. I also appreciate you bouncing this up to the top of the "latest postings" list, because I've got 50p with my wife that it will get read by 2000 people!!! :D
Mike

Woo hoo!! Lorraine.........you owe me 50p!

Seriously, I am touched that so many people have read this little story of our Lejog. What would please me more would be to hear that one or two people have decided to do an end-to-end after reading it, or that one or two who had already planned to do a ride have added a few days to their schedule. Then come back with a whole lot of brilliant memories, and tell us all a nice story.

Mike
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Gratuitous bump, for the last time..........

Chuffed that 2500 people have read this now.

Mike
cello297

Post by cello297 »

A brilliant report; thanks Mike. We leave in May to LEJoG and must go through where Preston lay in times gone by - before you nuked it - if only to see the result of a good nuking.

Colin, if you are getting there with an alternative route, please publish it before mid May.

You've made planning even more enjoyable. Thanks, Shane :wink:
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Cheers Shane, glad you enjoyed it. They've probably rebuilt Preston in the meantime, but I'm sure that other cyclists would appreciate it if you would do the necessary if you escape its clutches! :)

Enjoy your ride....

Mike
srw

Post by srw »

Mike G wrote:Seriously, I am touched that so many people have read this little story of our Lejog. What would please me more would be to hear that one or two people have decided to do an end-to-end after reading it, or that one or two who had already planned to do a ride have added a few days to their schedule. Then come back with a whole lot of brilliant memories, and tell us all a nice story.

What a lovely write-up. It's inspired me to do two things. First, to write up our French end-to-end (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/NAtMed2010) properly. And second, to do a proper British tour in the not-too-distant future.
tomp734444

Post by tomp734444 »

Thank you for a really good read and an inspirational tale. You have certainly inspired me to avoid Preston.

Look forward to further episodes of your travels.
It is better to travel than to arrive.
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Thank you SRW & Tomp. I'm afraid a sick dog is reducing the chances of a cycle tour this year, so unless you want to read about me driving around in the African bush I'm afraid that you'll just have to wait a while for another report.

I met a couple at the weekend who read my report and got inspired to plan a Lejog as a result. That alone makes the effort worthwhile.

Mike
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

:shock: :D :D :D
4000 views of my little write-up!!!!!! I would have been happy with 400.........
heavy pedal

Post by heavy pedal »

this is a really great account of your trip, thanks for sharing it.
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

A year ago today we were setting off from Penzance. We sat and nattered about it for an hour or two yesterday, and I'll tell you, if you've never done anything like this before you'll be mighty proud of yourself for a long time afterwards. I'd rather be sitting at the foot of Porthtowan Hill or Berriedale or Shap, with no momentum, than sitting in front of a damn computer at work as I am today. Taking on and end-to-end is really living!

Mike
tomp734444

Post by tomp734444 »

Hi Mike,

I read your account of your ride some time ago and was impressed with the way it was written. Thanks again for a great piece of journalism.

I think I know how you feel. I start my JOGLE in just over three weeks and I'm already starting to feel a sense of loss. All my preparation is done, I have the route planned, the B&B's are all booked and the training-rides are becoming easier. All I have to do now is do the ride!! I reckon much of the pleasure is in the anticipation and planning.

I'm not foolish enough to believe that the actual ride will be easy, but it is the last chapter in a rather long book.

I reckon I will have to do something similar once the JOGLE is done. Being retired means I don't have the distraction of a job to occupy me. Perhaps you should too.

Best regards
It is better to travel than to arrive.
barneybear69

Post by barneybear69 »

Great read and congratulations to you both!!
Lucky me starting my Lejog 21st August - REALLY looking forward to passing through PRESTON now ;-)
2016 Mallorca touring htttp://www.mallorcacycletouring.co.uk

2011 Lands End to John O'Groats http://www.nigelend2end.co.uk

Raleigh Chopper C2C http://purplechopper.co.uk

Tourer: 2010 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Restored Raleigh Chopper MK2 (1974)
jonniloo

Post by jonniloo »

Just finished Le-Jog at the age of 71 no back up on ride and not cheating by using ferries, no punctures and did not eat any flies came through Preston via A49 onto A6 no problems cycle paths on most pavements although A6 not that busy.Also bypassed town of Warrington quite road to the right via Appleton that came out at Winnick Quay onto A49.Went via Keswick as B & Bs booked up around Penrith with Appleby horse fair,from Carlisle A7 to motorway roundabout sharp left via Rockcliffe to Gretna road about 60yards from motorway quiet road then A726 at Lesmahagow via Paisley and Loch Lomond only hill just passed bridge of Orchy all the way to Inverness that is worthy of mentioning only 5 min climb.If cycling toward Tongue turn off by Altnaharra along Loch Naver and past the Crask Inn cyclists meeting point, easy run to Bettyhill with beautiful scenery,from Bettyhill lots of ups and downs to Reay with usually strong Winds side on turn off in Reay on outskirts of village to follow cycle route a right turn to Thurso which is signed posted missing hill at Dounray and coastal winds.John
irc

Post by irc »

Superb write up. I recall the vividly the two lanes merging from the left in Preston on my LeJoG. Luckily it was peak evening rush hour and the traffic was slow enough I could accelerate and merge through it.

After that read -- Maybe time to do it all again!