I did it!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Gavin Hill

I did it!

Post by Gavin Hill »

Completed my JOGLE on Sunday and got home yesterday:

The facts:
1,118 miles
16 days cycling
Daily average - 70 miles
Longest day - 90 miles
Biggest daily ascent total - 6,300 ft
Solo, unsupported, staying in B&Bs
One overweight 53 yr old who until this year hadn't cycled for 20+ yrs
Weight loss since start of training 21lbs
Bike: Revolution Country Explorer, 44-32-22 shimano deore chainset, Marathan Plus tyres & Schwalbe inners

Best bits:
- finishing
- the amazing scenery
- the people I met along the way and friendly, helpful B&B owners
- the bike (not a single puncture, mechanical problem or even a rattle or squeak. Didn't even have to put any air in the tryes!)
- sitting in the sunshine eating a clotted cream ice cream overlooking St Michael's Mount, with only 15 miles to go
- meeting Ruth on the Kessock Bridge coming the other way after I starting following her blog 2 weeks earlier (what are the chances of that!)
- the look at the face of the woman in Penzance who asked where I had cycled from when I said John O Groats (priceless)

Worst bits:
- the hills
- my naive plan to go via the quiet scenic route, i.e. the long, hilly route
- gales & rain in Scotland & the north
- the train service

Not the fastest LEJOG/JOGLE, a lot harder than I expected, but feeling pretty proud of myself.
manonbike

Re: I did it!

Post by manonbike »

Hi Well done, I'm 53 as well and would like one day to have achieved what you have, are you going to do a blogg?
Revolution traveller is that the one with disc brakes, as I'm thinking of getting one next year, what do you think of the bike overall.
Again well done especially as you were solo and unsupported :D
Where can I find Ruth's blogg I always find them interesting to read.

Martyn.
Si

Post by Si »

Not the fastest LEJOG/JOGLE, a lot harder than I expected, but feeling pretty proud of myself.

Well done - you should feel proud, maybe you didn't break any records but that's still a very respectable effort (it's as good as what I did back when I was nearly 20 years younger)!
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Well done Gavin. A commendable effort. I envy you and wish I had the time to do it myself. (I am 56 and rapidly running out of years :) )
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Geemachine

Post by Geemachine »

Well done Gavin
Myself and my wife completed the JOGLE on saturday 25th Sept covering 920 miles unsupported. Don't think i could have done it solo, we did a maximum ride of 126m and 65m our lowest. We are going to do LEJOG in the future but will take longer doing less miles per day. I agree with your best bits and worst bits, one thing i know the memories of the ride will live me forever. To anyone thinking of doing the end 2 end go for it
loafer

Post by loafer »

well done gavin
having done it twice both lejog,s first for my 40b/day then again on my 50 b/day all been well for my 60th plan to do it the other way would be interested in your route ... :)

larry
Gavin Hill

Post by Gavin Hill »

manonbike wrote:Hi Well done, I'm 53 as well and would like one day to have achieved what you have, are you going to do a blogg?
Revolution traveller is that the one with disc brakes, as I'm thinking of getting one next year, what do you think of the bike overall.

Martyn.

Here is my Blog (not brilliant and done every evening when I was pretty tired. But I am amazed to find out afterwards how many people were reading it!):
http://gavinsbikeride.blogspot.com/

Here is Ruth's (which I think is much better - tried to set up the location thing which shows where you are from your mobile, but ran out of time before I set off):
http://ruthsbikeride.blogspot.com/

I have the 2009 Revolution Country Explorer, which is an aluminium frame. I have been very happy with it and the fact that I had zero mechnical problems the whole trip speaks for itself. I really prefer disc brakes especially on those steep decsents in the wet!. However, I did spent quite a bit of time improving and configuring the bike, in particular:
- I upgraded the disc bakes to Avid BB7s. You do need to check/adjust them fairly regularly and clean the rotars to keep them efficient and reduce any braking noise. But they are very easy to adjust by the roadside with a simple dial system.
- I changed the chanset to 44-32-22 to give me even lower gearing, which definately helped
- Brooks B17 saddle, which was amazingly comfortable after a very short breaking in period
- new rear cassette, chain & disc pads and full service before the off
Some people on here will tell you than a steel frame is more comfortable (and the 2010 Country Explorer is now steel), but I didn't find it at all uncomfortable. In fact with hills, lugging panniers, wind & rain this is the very least of the issues you need to worry about!

With regard to age, my personal view is that this definately isn't a barrier. I met one young guy who had failed to make it and two younger lads who were in a lot of trouble with their bikes, all because they seemed to have completely the wrong bikes/gearing. I also meet men and women in their 60s who were doing better than me, others who who were lugging more gear because they were camping with no big problems. From my personal experience the keys to making it are:
- a lot of training, in particular being able to climb hills hour after hour and doing long back to back rides (I didn't do enough of both and suffered as a result). It all depends on how fit you are in the first place, but I don't subscribe to the view that you only need to do a minimum amount of traing and you will get fitter as the ride progresses (not if you're in your 50s anyway!). I was really in trouble in the first 2-6 days due to hills, gales & rain. I also found later in the ride my legs became heavier each day and the hills harder to climb, I assume because there was a build of fatigue over time.
- the right bike and gearing and make sure it is in tip top condition at the start.
- Plan the route very carefully (unless you are very fit and love climbing hills). I planned a route almost entirely on minor roads and scenic routes (the scenery was indeed stunning), but I failed to appreciate how much harder this made it. I paid attention to really big hills and tried to avoid these, but completely missed the fact that climbing lots of smaller hills up to say 600 ft for hours on end saps your energy rapidly (least it did for me). I looked at the profile chart for each day when I did my planning, but if you have one big hill in there it tends to mask the fact that there are loads of smaller ones. :oops:
- carefully plan the equipment you take. Do not take took much (I washed my cycle clothing every night and it worked very well) but also make sure you have waterproofs and enough layers to cope with the pouring rain and high winds
- Keep eating and drinking and taking small breaks every hour
- plan in some easy days or rest days. I had two half day rest days and I needed them.
- Above all else attitude of mind and the determination to keep going when you are really struggling. There were at least 3 days when I was totally exhausted, miles from my next B&B and thought I was finished. But I somehow limped on, the road flatten out a bit or I got a second wind and made it.

With regard to doing it solo, its no problem at all and based on my experience it's much better:
- by yourself you set the pace and take breaks when you want or need to. With others you will have to go at the pace of the slowest rider and each will have good and bad days
- when I was at a real low point and fighting a very personal battle just to keep going, I was quite frankly glad there was no one else there. I am not ashamed to admit that I was reduced to tears on more than one occasion by exhaustion and the emotions of the trip.
- a mate joined me for 2 days of the trip. Was great to have the company, but he struggled to keep up on his final day especially on the hills (not his fault - he just hadn't done nearly as much training as me), but it was frustrating on a day when I had one of my longest rides
- even on my own I met and talked to loads of people - other end to enders, at the B&B, in the pub. Just tell someone what you are doing and I guarantee it will start a conversation.
- booking the B&Bs I wanted was easy

This was my route:

10/09 Thurso - JOG
11/09 JOG - Tongue
12/09 Tongue - Duncanston
13/09 Duncanston - Loch Ness (Foyers) (semi rest day)
14/09 Loch Ness - Glencoe
15/09 Glencoe - Lochgilphead
16/09 Lochgilphead - Dalrymple (via Isle of Aaron)
17/09 Dalrymple - St Johns (semi rest day)
18/09 St Johns - Wetheral
19/09 Wetheral - Ingleton
20/09 Ingleton - Little Bollington
21/09 Little Bollington - Shrewsbury
22/09 Shrewsbury - Ross on Wye
23/09 Ross on Wye - Cheddar
24/09 Cheddar - Cheriton Bishop
25/09 Cheriton Bishop - St Austell
26/09 St Austell - Lands End - Penzance
27/09 Penzance - Home (train)

It was very scenic on mainly back roads and most of the time very little traffic, but if I were to do it again I would plan a less hilly route!
If anyone wants me to send a GPX file of any particular day just let me know.

The above is just my own personal experience as a novice and I know others will have different views and experiences.
I hope this is helpful.

Gavin
manonbike

Post by manonbike »

Brilliant thanks Gavin, I'll read your blogg tonight, still an awsome feat, I hope there were as many ups as there were downs. My son cycled 1,000 miles earlier this year (to the three peaks then walked up them) he said the trip just just as difficult mentally as it was physically.Thanks again for the bloggs and some notes on the bike.

Martyn.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Really interesting posts Gavin - lots to chew over and well done!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
robgul

Post by robgul »

Gavin Hill wrote:
manonbike wrote:Hi Well done, I'm 53 as well and would like one day to have achieved what you have, are you going to do a blogg?

Martyn.

Here is my Blog (not brilliant and done every evening when I was pretty tired. But I am amazed to find out afterwards how many people were reading it!):
http://gavinsbikeride.blogspot.com/

Here is Ruth's (which I think is much better - tried to set up the location thing which shows where you are from your mobile, but ran out of time before I set off):
http://ruthsbikeride.blogspot.com/

I have the 2009 Revolution Country Explorer, which is an aluminium frame. I have been very happy with it and the fact that I had zero mechnical problems the whole trip speaks for itself. I really prefer disc brakes especially on those steep decsents in the wet!. However, I did spent quite a bit of time improving and configuring the bike, in particular:
- I upgraded the disc bakes to Avid BB7s. You do need to check/adjust them fairly regularly and clean the rotars to keep them efficient and reduce any braking noise. But they are very easy to adjust by the roadside with a simple dial system.
- I changed the chanset to 44-32-22 to give me even lower gearing, which definately helped
- Brooks B17 saddle, which was amazingly comfortable after a very short breaking in period
- new rear cassette, chain & disc pads and full service before the off
Some people on here will tell you than a steel frame is more comfortable (and the 2010 Country Explorer is now steel), but I didn't find it at all uncomfortable. In fact with hills, lugging panniers, wind & rain this is the very least of the issues you need to worry about!

With regard to age, my personal view is that this definately isn't a barrier. I met one young guy who had failed to make it and two younger lads who were in a lot of trouble with their bikes, all because they seemed to have completely the wrong bikes/gearing. I also meet men and women in their 60s who were doing better than me, others who who were lugging more gear because they were camping with no big problems. From my personal experience the keys to making it are:
- a lot of training, in particular being able to climb hills hour after hour and doing long back to back rides (I didn't do enough of both and suffered as a result). It all depends on how fit you are in the first place, but I don't subscribe to the view that you only need to do a minimum amount of traing and you will get fitter as the ride progresses (not if you're in your 50s anyway!). I was really in trouble in the first 2-6 days due to hills, gales & rain. I also found later in the ride my legs became heavier each day and the hills harder to climb, I assume because there was a build of fatigue over time.
- the right bike and gearing and make sure it is in tip top condition at the start.
- Plan the route very carefully (unless you are very fit and love climbing hills). I planned a route almost entirely on minor roads and scenic routes (the scenery was indeed stunning), but I failed to appreciate how much harder this made it. I paid attention to really big hills and tried to avoid these, but completely missed the fact that climbing lots of smaller hills up to say 600 ft for hours on end saps your energy rapidly (least it did for me). I looked at the profile chart for each day when I did my planning, but if you have one big hill in there it tends to mask the fact that there are loads of smaller ones. :oops:
- carefully plan the equipment you take. Do not take took much (I washed my cycle clothing every night and it worked very well) but also make sure you have waterproofs and enough layers to cope with the pouring rain and high winds
- Keep eating and drinking and taking small breaks every hour
- plan in some easy days or rest days. I had two half day rest days and I needed them.
- Above all else attitude of mind and the determination to keep going when you are really struggling. There were at least 3 days when I was totally exhausted, miles from my next B&B and thought I was finished. But I somehow limped on, the road flatten out a bit or I got a second wind and made it.

With regard to doing it solo, its no problem at all and based on my experience it's much better:
- by yourself you set the pace and take breaks when you want or need to. With others you will have to go at the pace of the slowest rider and each will have good and bad days
- when I was at a real low point and fighting a very personal battle just to keep going, I was quite frankly glad there was no one else there. I am not ashamed to admit that I was reduced to tears on more than one occasion by exhaustion and the emotions of the trip.
- a mate joined me for 2 days of the trip. Was great to have the company, but he struggled to keep up on his final day especially on the hills (not his fault - he just hadn't done nearly as much training as me), but it was frustrating on a day when I had one of my longest rides
- even on my own I met and talked to loads of people - other end to enders, at the B&B, in the pub. Just tell someone what you are doing and I guarantee it will start a conversation.
- booking the B&Bs I wanted was easy

This was my route:

10/09 Thurso - JOG
11/09 JOG - Tongue
12/09 Tongue - Duncanston
13/09 Duncanston - Loch Ness (Foyers) (semi rest day)
14/09 Loch Ness - Glencoe
15/09 Glencoe - Lochgilphead
16/09 Lochgilphead - Dalrymple (via Isle of Aaron)
17/09 Dalrymple - St Johns (semi rest day)
18/09 St Johns - Wetheral
19/09 Wetheral - Ingleton
20/09 Ingleton - Little Bollington
21/09 Little Bollington - Shrewsbury
22/09 Shrewsbury - Ross on Wye
23/09 Ross on Wye - Cheddar
24/09 Cheddar - Cheriton Bishop
25/09 Cheriton Bishop - St Austell
26/09 St Austell - Lands End - Penzance
27/09 Penzance - Home (train)

It was very scenic on mainly back roads and most of the time very little traffic, but if I were to do it again I would plan a less hilly route!
If anyone wants me to send a GPX file of any particular day just let me know.

The above is just my own personal experience as a novice and I know others will have different views and experiences.
I hope this is helpful.

Gavin

If you want to add your blog to www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk the world (or at least E2E wannabees) can read it! - there's a form Submit your Journal to send the info and link etc

Rob
E2E webmaster
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Gavin Hill

Post by Gavin Hill »

manonbike wrote:My son cycled 1,000 miles earlier this year (to the three peaks then walked up them) he said the trip just just as difficult mentally as it was physically.
Martyn.

Absolutely!!
....but that's just based on my level of fitness and experience.

There are plenty much fitter, more experienced tour cyclists who would find such a trip straightforward. I got to know and was talking to a guy called John who set of a day ahead of me. He did it in less than 8 days, was doing over a 100 miles a day and on his best day clocked up 175 miles! I am in awe of that level of fitness and stamina (although he is a 40 yr old youngster). Its a very personal thing and everyone has to realistically assess their own abilitities and fitness.

But if you really want to have a go at this trip, no matter what your age, fitness, etc............just do it!
The one thing I can promise you is that no matter how easy or hard it turns out to be, you won't ever forget the experience!

Gavin
manonbike

Post by manonbike »

Hi Gavin.
Read your blogg this evening really enjoyed it, It's good that you were very honest about the ups and downs of your trip. It certainly made me think carefully about preparation should I do the trip. Also read Ruths blogg enjoyed that two.
thanks again.
Martyn.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Congratulations Gavin well done. Envious because I am still waiting to set off on my own adventure.
velocipede2288

Post by velocipede2288 »

I did it when I was 58, | am now 72, so some time back. I did 15 miles short of a thousand miles in 12 days.
Also did the coast to coast, before this trip.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Hi Gavin. Well done on your achievement - it is a wonderful feeling. I agree age is not factor. I did it solo unsupported staying at B&B's last year when I was 62 years. It was so special to me I am reluctant to repeat it in case it doesn't live up to the first time. This year I cycled from Arran to Aberdeen,300 miles, solo again, and am always looking for pastures new. good luck with your next venture.