Jogle worst parts???

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
largeallan

Re: Jogle worst parts???

Post by largeallan »

The dual carriageways in and around Telford...I still have the fear of God in me after that lot!!!!
Geemachine

Post by Geemachine »

i did the JOGLE in Sept last year, the worst was the first day from JOG to Inverness i had far to much stuff in my panniers. Had to post half my belonging back home,( My tip is to put all the things you think you'll need out on the floor then just take half )
The hardest for me was the hills Devon and Cornwall not big just constant up and down. but it was Brilliant and i will do LEJOG soon
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Worst - White van man coming straight out of a side track near Beauly and nearly taking my daughter out, and the miserable git in Exeter Tourist Office who refused to sign my record sheet.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Geemachine wrote:i did the JOGLE in Sept last year, the worst was the first day from JOG to Inverness i had far to much stuff in my panniers. Had to post half my belonging back home,( My tip is to put all the things you think you'll need out on the floor then just take half )
The hardest for me was the hills Devon and Cornwall not big just constant up and down. but it was Brilliant and i will do LEJOG soon

Get smaller panniers. That helps with not over packing.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PRESTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Proud Owner of a Koga Miyata Signature with Rohloff. Yum
Car drivers... Some good, some bad, and some ugly.
End 2 End 2007, 2009
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

O and the hills of Cornwall, even on the A30 :evil:
Proud Owner of a Koga Miyata Signature with Rohloff. Yum
Car drivers... Some good, some bad, and some ugly.
End 2 End 2007, 2009
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

Mine was a Lejog in 2010 shortly after my 65th birthday.
Fracturing a rib when I fell of my bike at the end of the third day was annoying and a big disappointment. I needed my wife to brace my chest with her arms if I needed to cough. For the toilet, I developed a way of splinting my chest when seated.

Beforehand I'd gone out on training rides on consecutive days and it probably helped that where I live I have a steep climb approaching home. Nevertheless I was apprehensive setting off from Lands End but this soon passed after a few of miles.
Getting round Bristol from Yatton wasn't a problem except the puncture I got in Avonmouth on a wet Saturday morning and realising my only pump was broken. Fortunately a passing cyclist came to my aid.

The A-roads in Scotland were my least favourite because of the traffic. I was cut up once by a Germany plated campervan apparently desperate to overtake and unwilling to wait. Poor behaviour too from a young driver as I climbing north from Oban and a sensible Spanish artic driver who waited for the top of the hill before overtaking me.

Having a Garmin Edge 705 loaded with OpenStreetMap showing the contours ahead of me was a real help. Even so as I rounded bends in Scotland and looked ahead sometimes it was, "Oh no not another bl**dy hill".
There's lots of hills in Scotland.
puffin

Post by puffin »

First off, it is great fun, so don't be nervous, be full of eager anticipaton. OK, the worst; Days two and three, Cornwall and Devon, the rain was appalling, the stupid irritating hills unending, my poor wife was sitting at home watching with terror met office weather warnings. Day 13 was from Spittal of Glenshee to Granton on Speee, agghh!! Huge freezing rain storms, even the cars had to stop at one stage.

I was travelling alone, apart from 3 days in Scotland where I met three other kindred spirits, but never got the self doubt, or experienced any major problems. I am not a cyclist so had the luck of the stupid. I downloaded a track for a borrowed sat nav and set blithely off, though I certainly did train before I went. Can I be honest? I actually got to the grampians before I realised I had not even, please don't laugh, brought my pump with me. I did get scared on Day 13 in Braeamar when I could not stop shivering, but simply put on every stich of clothing I had, and within an hour (and a whole massive bar of chocolate) I was back on song.

It really is a wonderful experience, and when you encounter problems, you will overcome them, and be a stronger person as a consequence. OK, last and not least, but a little bit contraversial; I reckon the trip is not too hard, it is more of a stamina thing than a fitness / cardio vascular test. I reckon if you can get used to sadle soreness, you could build up the fitness as you went.
Si

Post by Si »

Worst parts?

Belper.

Everything was either shut or trying to run me down.

Sure it is a nice place the rest of the time but not when I was there.
Gavin Hill

Post by Gavin Hill »

The hills,
the wind
the rain
.....and the hills

My worst days were when I had all three at once.
Its then that it really becomes a mental challenge and you find out how deep your reserves are....
And they were also some of my best days and the great satisfaction of having made it and pushed myself further than I thought possible.

But as someone has already said, don't think about the worst parts. Just be as prepared as you can be, you'll be able overcome most things that come up along the way and above all enjoy the whole experience.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Gavin Hill? What's the gradient? Sounds like a real belter. Several stretches of 25% with a false flat before the sting at the end? :wink:
Si

Post by Si »

oh, almost forgot, the other worst thing.....

>"are you doing it for charity?"
-"well, yes"
>"great, please wait there while I find all of the loose change that has been deposited in this building over the last fifty years and then poor it into your pannier"
-"er, thanks, it was actually all feeling a little too easy without seven tonnes of scrap metal on the back of the bike"

But they are being generous so you can't really complain. Although that's untrue because I just have. But you know what I mean. Harry.
jayd

Post by jayd »

Worst: first night camping in a Cornish field, with a gale blowing!
Best: Lairg to J O'G via Loch Naver and Bettyhill on the last day. Brilliant!
sjs

Post by sjs »

Worst parts? Breaking a spoke near St Austell on day 1. The A350 from Chippenham towards the M4, having got slightly lost. The stretch of East Midlands industrial decay from Swadlincote to Ripley (I'm originally from that area, hence the detour).

Best? After the M4 junction north of Chippenham the ride via Cirencester and Winchcombe towards Stratford on Avon. Langholm to Peebles. Lairg to Melvich.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

jayd wrote:...
Best: Lairg to J O'G via Loch Naver and Bettyhill on the last day. Brilliant!
Me too. 100 miles, my longest day.
Hilly in Cornwall but worst hill was alongside Loch Carron and had to get off and walk for the first and last time.
Worst breakfast was tin of sardines and half a cup of whisky, rough camping before Arisaig without water. Too many midges to hang about for long looking for a stream.

PS just remembered - had taken up smoking again (rollies) to combat the midges. Rolling a fag, being attacked by midges, with sardine oiled fingers and whiskey coursing through my veins, was a challenge. Dehydrated too!