Deloitte Ride Across Britain ( 2011 - ongoing )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jon Lucas

Re: Deloitte Ride Across Britain ( 2011 - ongoing )

Post by Jon Lucas »

rareposter wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 10:10am
Jon Lucas wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 5:13am I see it is going right through the centre of Bath, so that is going to be ... interesting. How many riders do there tend to be, and how many vehicles driving along in front and behind? Those roads will be very busy with pedestrians, so I may go to watch, just for the fascination. As it is almost at the end of the ride, I assume it will be mid afternoon, 3-4ish?

As it happens, the next week I will be up in north Wales, just in time it seems for the Tour of Britain to arrive there.
Normally the ride finishes at Bath campus but Covid restrictions mean the uni is not hiring out the campus at the moment. So they had to find a campsite nearby which, entertainingly, means climbing Bannerdown last thing in the day. That might actually be preferable to the normal route of climbing it first thing on a Monday morning when it's busy with traffic and the ride is still very bunched up.

By the time it comes through Bath it'll be very stung out. Guessing first riders through will be 2.30pm or so, last ones probably 6ish. Very few vehicles. Couple of mechanic cars floating around, not a lot else.
Thanks. I realised after posting that it wasn't the sort of ride that would be causing traffic chaos. Do you have any idea of the numbers of people riding?

On a completely unrelated note - this weekend I was sat in a bus shelter waiting for a bus and watched two cyclists putting up signs with arrows on them (so presumably either for a bike ride or a run) on one of the main roads coming into Bath (not on the Deloitte's route), nipping from lamp post to post on their bikes. The only reason I mention it here is that, unfortunately for them, it was absolutely torrential rain at the time, enough to be flooding the roads as it fell. I really felt for them, and did wonder why they hadn't found some shelter to wait out the storm (which did finish a little while later).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Day 5-
"Crowds of primary school children cheering you along the way"
Really ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

cycleruk wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 4:34pm Day 5-
"Crowds of primary school children cheering you along the way"
Really ?
Yes