Deloitte Ride Across Britain ( 2011 - ongoing )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Eldog

Re: Deloitte Ride Across Britain 2011

Post by Eldog »

Currently planning a solo unsupported LEJOG next year; whilst I'm aware this thread is predominantly about organised rides, the hostility emerging from this thread is somewhat taking the shine off it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Eldog wrote:Currently planning a solo unsupported LEJOG next year; whilst I'm aware this thread is predominantly about organised rides, the hostility emerging from this thread is somewhat taking the shine off it.

There must be thousands do an E2E every year without any incidence or bad will towards them. People enjoy meeting/talking to them and of course having their custom in many shops, cafes, and accommodation along the route.

I myself encounter a lot as they cycle through my area. Mostly are unsupported and I also meet organised groups, some quite large, who have paid for someone to carry their load. All pass through in good humour and without incidence.

My observations are that for the past few years a huge group of cyclists come through on what is the Deloitte RaB and leave behind a trail of disquiet. Thankfully most memories are short and the RaB memories will be forgot and replaced by good memories of the majority.

Don't let this bunch of wannabe racers put you off your E2E. Do it and enjoy it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Paulatic wrote:My observations are that for the past few years a huge group of cyclists come through on what is the Deloitte RaB and leave behind a trail of disquiet. Thankfully most memories are short and the RaB memories will be forgot and replaced by good memories of the majority.

Don't let this bunch of wannabe racers put you off your E2E. Do it and enjoy it.

To be fair, if you have an event - any event - with 800 people, it's going to cause some disruption to some people, that's simply the nature of living on a crowded little island. It's no different to a Sportive really and it's certainly a level below an average football match or the traffic congestion you get at an airshow or around Silverstone on F1 weekend (for example).

I know you're stereotyping and generalising but the vast majority of people doing the event are not wannabe racers. It's a very difficult event to describe or to pigeonhole; it's a sort of cross between a multi-day Sportive, a cycling holiday, a fundraising trip and it attracts everyone from club-level riders to corporate teams to enthusiastic amateurs who want a challenge to people recovering from life-changing injury (a team of amputee ex-servicemen did it a few years ago). It may not be *your* idea of a wonderful time out but to many of the people there, they simply would not get a chance to do such a ride any other way and they do genuinely enjoy the event and get a sense of achievement from it while at the same time meeting new people and making new friends.

And in the interests of transparency, I'll state now that I've ridden the event as a Chaperone / Ride Leader now three times. I'm not an employee of Deloitte or Threshold though.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I agree with large numbers anything is going to be noticed especially anti social behaviour. Interesting what Ambodach says though, perhaps attitudes filter down from the organisers. I once had an organised off road ride come through land I managed. Nearly 200 riders, what a disruption that was and absolutely no forewarning. First I knew was a motorbike putting out way markers an hour in front of them. I've previously organised off road audax and always spoke to landowners 4-6weeks before. When I eventually made contact with the organisers they didn't appear to give a sh one t and I barely got an apology.

There was a large ride passing through this morning seemed to be heading for Edinburgh. The direction signs and cyclist caution signs went out yesterday. I passed at least 50 riders on an 8ml drive to Moffat this morning. Not a single issue with any of them, as they all rode in sensible positions and were not a hazard to either themselves or motorists.
I did notice some of the jerseys had the word chaperone on them. With a route marker every 400yds I doubt they were there for route finding.

E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote:Don't let this bunch of wannabe racers put you off your E2E. Do it and enjoy it.

Why do we have to be so tribal? We're all cyclists.
That description certainly doesn't match those I know who've done it, and even if it did so what?
Someone moaning that they had to follow them for 2 1/2 miles, how utterly dreadful, that must have been ages, enough to spoil anyone's day.
Don't put up with the adverse comments, tell them it's perfectly reasonable for one group of road users to cause some inconvenience to another. As already pointed out it's usually the motorists causing the inconvenience to cyclists.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Eldog wrote:Currently planning a solo unsupported LEJOG next year; whilst I'm aware this thread is predominantly about organised rides, the hostility emerging from this thread is somewhat taking the shine off it.

The RAB does cause controversy - in the main because of macho behaviour from many of the riders (lots of Canary Wharf types - time poor, cash (very) rich from those that I've met) - but that's one-off. The organisers are also a bit arrogant in my view.

The thousands of solo/small group rides each year are invariably welcomed warmly along the way by cafes, B&Bs, hotels, pubs etc - and I've yet to find a bike shop that wont lend a track pump free for a bit of on-the-spot tyre checking and inflating

For some experiences have a look at The Journals at (my website) www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk - my two rides are Rob & Joe's JOGLE and Rob & Jon's LEJOG

Just do it - a great ride

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
PH

Post by PH »

robgul wrote:The RAB does cause controversy - in the main because of macho behaviour from many of the riders (lots of Canary Wharf types - time poor, cash (very) rich from those that I've met) - but that's one-off. The organisers are also a bit arrogant in my view.

I see macho behavior and arrogance on the roads every single day, so why is it controversial when it's cyclists? One of the things I like about cycling is it doesn't matter what your financial or social status is, pedaling a bike from one end of the country to the other requires the same effort.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

As others have mentioned any large group tends to attract behavioural problems so cyclists are involved on this forum for fairly obvious reasons.In the days when I had a boat West Highland Yachting week created problems with antisocial behaviour. We regarded the spring music festival as hosting the annual shoplifters convention. Even worse than coach parties but on a different scale. Don't get me started on the annual car rally! I now take an annual holiday as the best way to avoid it.
Cantankerous old git ain't I ?
The Cycle event in question is bigger and more widespread and therefor has a chance to affect more people.
Paulatic

Deloitte Ride Across Britain 2011

Post by Paulatic »

Don't let this bunch of wannabe racers put you off your E2E. Do it and enjoy it.[/quote]
PH Why do we have to be so tribal?

I was searching for a term which gives the picture that I think many will understand and see in their minds what I saw on the road.

PH That description certainly doesn't match those I know who've done it, and even if it did so what?

PH Someone moaning that they had to follow them for 2 1/2 miles, how dreadful, that must have been ages, enough to spoil anyone's day.

Probably my fault and doing the same journey day after day never having to build in any "hold up" time into the journey. The 2'30" to cover it unexpectedly becomes 10 minutes.

If our club held up traffic for 2 1/2 ml we would be feeling distressed. Some of our members would feel agitated if we had held up traffic for 1/2 a mile

PH Don't put up with the adverse comments, tell them it's perfectly reasonable for one group of road users to cause some inconvenience to another. As already pointed out it's usually the motorists causing the inconvenience to cyclists.

PH wrote:I see macho behavior and arrogance on the roads every single day, so why is it controversial when it's cyclists? .

Thankfully where I live we don't see that sort of thing on a daily basis. Probably why it stands out when it occurs.

E2E info
scottg

Post by scottg »

Seems like an easy jaunt with lots people to keep you interested.
Do people ride it Mick F style on Boris Bikes and such ?

800 people rolling through the night on Boris Bikes
would be quite a sight.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

scottg wrote:Seems like an easy jaunt with lots people to keep you interested.
Do people ride it Mick F style on Boris Bikes and such ?

800 people rolling through the night on Boris Bikes
would be quite a sight.

I wouldn't say it's "easy" as such but yes, there are lots of people from all walks of life, the vast majority on road bikes but I've seen riders on hybrids, on MTB with slicks, tandems, even a tricycle once.
Oh and advance notice for anyone who wants to avoid the event / complain about it, it's 10th - 18th September this year, LEJOG again.
http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Our local paper comes out on a Thursday. I look out for the 'bloody cyclists' letter on the 22nd September then. [emoji1]
Unless maybe just once they can pass through my area without causing reaction? Fingers Xed

E2E info
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Not entirely sure that ressurecting this thread is the best idea in the world but just in case anyone is interested they've just released for sale places on the 2017 event including a 5-day option and also an option to stay the nights in hotels rather than camping:
http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/

The 2016 edition is the usual 9-day one, 10th to 18th September.
horizon

Post by horizon »

rareposter wrote:Not entirely sure that ressurecting this thread is the best idea in the world

No, but there are some important ideas expressed here on both "sides" (there were more than two "sides" in fact). It could have descended into acrimony but it didn't. It's also useful that it's five years old, the RAB is still going and we have a chance to see what's happening in the world five years on. Not a lot really has changed IMV except that the world goes on, Brexit has happened and cycling has got even bigger.

This is a forum, the RAB excites views and feelings so a discussion seems appropriate. I trust that the RAB organisers don't see their ride as an undiluted and absolutely Good Thing. I for my part don't see it as wholly bad either.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rareposter

Re: Deloitte Ride Across Britain ( 2011 - ongoing )

Post by rareposter »

The 2017 ride starts this Saturday. Weather is looking erm..."variable"!
The 5-day option got quietly binned off, everyone is doing the 9-day.