route through Dartmoor National Park

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
_bigfoot_

route through Dartmoor National Park

Post by _bigfoot_ »

overwhelmed with options but looking for trade off between quick route but safe route.

Based on the following route from Bristol to Lands End - thoughts on this route?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http://sites.google.com/site/cminors/Lands_End_to_John_oGroats_2010.kml&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.696543,39.331055&ie=UTF8&ll=53.852527,-4.042969&spn=12.984624,21.972656&z=5&source=embed

In particular has anyone ridden the B3212 through Darmoor National Park? Road hell or Road Heaven?

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: route through Dartmoor National Park

Post by Mick F »

There are many a group that have cycled over Dartmoor on their E2E, and lived to tell the tale!

I've done that route many a time, and to tell the absolute truth, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a good ride, fantastic scenery, loads of hills both up and down, but one heck of lot of hard work.

Mainly, though, the weather can be iffy. Dartmoor has a top of about 1,500ft with low land all round it. It's the first high bits that the SW weather systems come into contact with, and often it comes onto mist rain fog wind etc. I mean it. Honestly.

When you get up there walking or on a bike, you have no shelter whatsoever. The weather can change "just like that", and you can be caught out. Many a time we hear of helicopter rescues lifting walkers off the moor. I've not heard about cyclists mind you, but it's only a matter of time.

In the high summer, you're probably ok, but you really need to keep an eye on the weather. Have an alternative route just in case. Far better IMHO is to skirt Dartmoor to the north. This has two advantages:
1. You are away from the possible changes to the weather.
2. It's not as hilly!

When I did my JOGLE last May, I followed the "northern route" and could see across to Dartmoor and how the black clouds were hanging there. I was in sunshine, but high on Dartmoor wasn't. Honestly, keep this route in your back pocket, but if you feel confident and fit and the weather is settled, go for it. Be prepared for tiredness and fatigue and you'll enjoy Dartmoor. Then again, you may not.

Northern Route:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=201664
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=185063
Mick F. Cornwall
_bigfoot_

Post by _bigfoot_ »

cheers Mick - food for thought, think I need to keep things simple towards the end of the ride :D
loafer

Post by loafer »

hi bigfoot
yes i rode the b3212 on my way to as part of the yha route back in 95 for my 40th ...as i was staying at steps bridge yha (now closed) have vauge memorys of it been a bit of a climb up.. :lol: but weather was great that year had to stop and buy sunscreen... but as mick says on the tops weather can change my escape route was to the south ..i stopped at prince town looking at the prison i was in lovely sunshine but that place looked cold as hell ....also make life easy mate dont take to much stuff and enjoy it took less in 2005 and all been well in 2015 hope to do it north-south on my 60th(touch wood)...will be checking micks routes poss for that :lol:

larry
Geofff

Post by Geofff »

I went across Dartmoor last year on my End to End, as day two of the trip it was a bit of a shock, also for the sunny Sunday picnickers who heard my language on some of the climbs! I went from St Austell - Tavistock - Moretonhampstead, hard work but very scenic and some impressive descents until you bottle out and clamp on the brakes. I take the point that in poor weather it would not have been a good choice and had the 'northern route' as a standby if it had been wet.
Archie2K

Post by Archie2K »

I've done that route twice. Once on my E2E in June which was sunny but windy (and a headwind at that), and once in December which was cold and windy. Although the height and lack of trees makes Dartmoor very exposed, I've never felt that the road was worth avoiding. Unless the wind is very strong I'd say go for it. The road down to Tavistock is quite a descent.