FW's Home to LE and back via JOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: FW's Home to LE and back via JOG

Post by Mick F »

Jack Strop wrote:........ Do you have any recommendations for other routes west of Exeter.

The problem with Cornwall, and to a lesser extent, Devon, is that there are few alternatives. Devon is a large square county with Exmoor to the north and Dartmoor slap bang in the middle.

Most people want to do the route to LE as simply/safely/easiest they can. The main roads are A39, A30, A38 and A390. To get off them creates a conundrum of navigation and hills.

Recommendations other than the Northern Route?

Exeter to Okehampton on the Old A30 then down to Tavistock on the A386, then A390 to just beyond Truro, then Old A30 to Hayle etc.

Or instead of going on the A388 all the way to Tavy, turn off through Lydford and Brentor to Lamerton, then cross into Cornwall at Horsebridge, then Rilla Mill, Minions and Liskeard to join the A390.

You could find your way down the Old A38 to Plymouth - not easy to keep off the A38, but it can be done - then cross into Cornwall either by the Torpoint Ferry or the Cremyll Ferry and work your way via Looe and Polperro to Bodinnick and cross another ferry to Fowey and thence to Truro etc.

Of course you could come out of Exeter and head for Moretonhampstead and cross Dartmoor to Tavistock. This route is either highly recommended or NOT recommended depending on the weather. It can get decidedly iffy up there - honestly, believe me. If the weather's good, the ride is wonderful - hilly and tough, but wonderful. If the weather is iffy, you can have wind and rain in your face and you can easily suffer exposure. I was up there a year or two ago, and by the time I came down into Tavistock, my fingers and lips were blue and I took an hour to warm up before I could ride home. This was August!

Basically, the easiest route is the Northern Route:
Tiverton to Crediton (via Rob's Passage makes it easier) then Okehampton to Launceston on the Old A30, then out via St Stephens to Egloskerry and Hallworthy. Then A395 and A30 through Camelford to Wadebridge and St Columb. Perhaps head through Newlyn East and Zelah to Blackwater and follow the Old A30 through Redruth and Camborne to Hayle. A30 to LE.

Hope that helps!
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's now pretty much the accepted practice that if a fatal / potential collision occurs, the road will be closed for a detailed examination of the scene. I've had this several times when the only diversion was excessively long for a cyclist, especially when a nearby motorway has been unavailable. With one exception, the police at the scene have agreed that it would be OK to pass on foot, giving the actual debris a very wide berth. (On one occasion near Sherburn-in Elmet, they understanably asked me to wait while a seriously injured motor cyclist had been transferred to the ambulance.) The exception I mentioned was when a diversion was being done by a PCSO who had obviously been told to let nobody through. He reluctantly agreed to radio for advice and the message from the scene was that it would be OK for a cyclist to walk by, so long as they left the road completely and used the edge of an adjacent field. That saved me a 30+ mile detour to get home at the end of a long day.

Obviously, there are times when a road is closed when nobody can pass, but where appropriate, there's nothing to be lost by asking in a polite manner if it's OK for a cyclist to continue when motor traffic is being stopped.
Jack Strop

Post by Jack Strop »

Mick F wrote:
Jack Strop wrote:........ Do you have any recommendations for other routes west of Exeter.

The problem with Cornwall, and to a lesser extent, Devon, is that there are few alternatives. Devon is a large square county with Exmoor to the north and Dartmoor slap bang in the middle.

Most people want to do the route to LE as simply/safely/easiest they can. The main roads are A39, A30, A38 and A390. To get off them creates a conundrum of navigation and hills.

Recommendations other than the Northern Route?

Exeter to Okehampton on the Old A30 then down to Tavistock on the A386, then A390 to just beyond Truro, then Old A30 to Hayle etc.

Or instead of going on the A388 all the way to Tavy, turn off through Lydford and Brentor to Lamerton, then cross into Cornwall at Horsebridge, then Rilla Mill, Minions and Liskeard to join the A390.

You could find your way down the Old A38 to Plymouth - not easy to keep off the A38, but it can be done - then cross into Cornwall either by the Torpoint Ferry or the Cremyll Ferry and work your way via Looe and Polperro to Bodinnick and cross another ferry to Fowey and thence to Truro etc.

Of course you could come out of Exeter and head for Moretonhampstead and cross Dartmoor to Tavistock. This route is either highly recommended or NOT recommended depending on the weather. It can get decidedly iffy up there - honestly, believe me. If the weather's good, the ride is wonderful - hilly and tough, but wonderful. If the weather is iffy, you can have wind and rain in your face and you can easily suffer exposure. I was up there a year or two ago, and by the time I came down into Tavistock, my fingers and lips were blue and I took an hour to warm up before I could ride home. This was August!

Hope that helps!

Thanks Mick, that's great. I really fancy the Dartmoor route, but would like to have a plan B in case of bad weather. I'll have a look at your suggestions, not that there's anything wrong with ...

Basically, the easiest route is the Northern Route:
Tiverton to Crediton (via Rob's Passage makes it easier) then Okehampton to Launceston on the Old A30, then out via St Stephens to Egloskerry and Hallworthy. Then A395 and A30 through Camelford to Wadebridge and St Columb. Perhaps head through Newlyn East and Zelah to Blackwater and follow the Old A30 through Redruth and Camborne to Hayle. A30 to LE.

... that did me just fine, early this month. At least I won't have to worry about the big climb out of Penzance next year. :P