THE MOST EFFICIENT ROUTE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LANDSURFER74

THE MOST EFFICIENT ROUTE

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

What is the shortest, flatest route between LE and JOG. Or JOG and LE.
The least climbing, the most rider focused route !!!!!
The easy option?????
hubgearfreak

Re: THE MOST EFFICIENT ROUTE

Post by hubgearfreak »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:What is the shortest, flatest route between LE and JOG. Or JOG and LE.

A roads - but you'll annoy the retards
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"flattest" assumes there are flat routes. I think you actually mean the least hilly.

As Hubbers says, use the A roads, especially the trunk roads wherever possible.

A30, A38, A442, A5, A49, A6, Old A74, A70, A706, A89, Forth Road Bridge, Old A90, A9, A99.
Mick F. Cornwall
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

Hi,

I am planning on doing route suggest by Mick / http://www.abcc.co.uk/Lynnetaylor/taylore2eroute.html

Have plotted out on BikeRouteToaster the best I can (may not be 100% perfect especially in town centres), you can download GPX/TXC for satnav if you wish.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=273468
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=273469
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=273470
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=273471
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=273472

Comes to 1354Km / 846.5 miles, with 8265 metres of climbing (according to BikeRouteToaster which is not accurate on assent figure, but I think fairly consistent and useful for comparing routes/seeing where hills are).

My issue is to qualify for what am doing (http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/WW02/) route need to be over 1400km, so need to add at least 45 KM to route. My ideal way to add this distance is to avoid any climbing I can (I am VERY heavy :oops: )

Anyone think of a way to add 50km on good road surfaces? I am not bothered about busy main roads on this ride, it's all about efficiency....
delport

Post by delport »

Pizza_man wrote:
My issue is to qualify for what am doing (http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/WW02/) route need to be over 1400km, so need to add at least 45 KM to route. My ideal way to add this distance is to avoid any climbing I can (I am VERY heavy :oops: )

Anyone think of a way to add 50km on good road surfaces? I am not bothered about busy main roads on this ride, it's all about efficiency....

You could add some miles from Inverness towards Tain as there is a long way to go and a short way.
I did the long way on the way from Inverness and the short way on the way south.
The long way i think is going toward where dingwall is marked on your map, and not going across a bridge, just stay on land and go round, this should add 20 to 25 miles to your trip and is a reasonable, less busy section.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Thinking of doing this but what is the minimum requirement bike-wise? Do I need a racing bike, a touring bike, mountain bike or a hybrid?
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

Thinking of doing this but what is the minimum requirement bike-wise? Do I need a racing bike, a touring bike, mountain bike or a hybrid?

Yep, any of those will do. Minimum requirement is one that is road legal, will hold together for the distance and you are comfortable on.

Why are you selling your Dawes Horizon, that's not a bad starting point?

Also strange place to post this under a route thread?
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

I am doing the JOGLE on an 80's steel framed hybrid.
My wife will be supporting me in the car with the tent etc, but not following me.
She will drive ahead to the next camp site , put up tent and read her book on a comfy chair, until i arrive.
She may give sympathy and a cup of coffee. Or not .. depends what mood i'm in ..lol..
8 days cycling, then a further 6 days in Cornwall on the beach.
During which time i will wine and dine her and generaly be attentive.
Seems like a fair deal...
She does cycle ... but only in the play room while she is on facebook!!!
BillB

Post by BillB »

New to this site so not sure where I am supposed to post messages.

Would not have thought a 20 year bike would be up to the rigours of the JONGLE. One of the guys I am contemplating doing this with has just spent £1,000 on a Boardman and he reckons this is a minimum requirement and others have said I should spend much more.

It is because of this advice I am selling the Horizon as I do not have storage space for another bike and I am told the Horizon will be no good by serious bikers.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

BillB wrote:Would not have thought a 20 year bike would be up to the rigours of the JONGLE. One of the guys I am contemplating doing this with has just spent £1,000 on a Boardman and he reckons this is a minimum requirement and others have said I should spend much more.

It is because of this advice I am selling the Horizon as I do not have storage space for another bike and I am told the Horizon will be no good by serious bikers.

So that would be the "rigours" of riding a bicycle on the road? mmm
Your friends have lots of money and no common sense IMHO.
Money does not equal success, "cheque book cyclists" abound , thats why there are so many top of the range bikes on e-bay!
No doubt this 'minimum requirement' is based on their previous long distance rides ... i bet !

I'm being really good, i am ... not biting at this one .....!!!!! :evil: :evil:
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

BillB wrote:New to this site so not sure where I am supposed to post messages.

Would not have thought a 20 year bike would be up to the rigours of the JONGLE. One of the guys I am contemplating doing this with has just spent £1,000 on a Boardman and he reckons this is a minimum requirement and others have said I should spend much more.

There's an old saying about fools and their money... :D

Seriously though, IMHO any roadworthy bike with suitable gears will be ok for LEJOG. I'm doing our LEJOG on a 1983 Raleigh tourer, and a Dawes Horizon would also be just dandy.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

BillB wrote:would not have thought a 20 year bike would be up to the rigours of the JONGLE. One of the guys I am contemplating doing this with has just spent £1,000 on a Boardman and he reckons this is a minimum requirement and others have said I should spend much more..

PMSL :lol:

tell it to heinzstucke

anyone know how many spokes a £1000 boardman has? :lol: :lol:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Why ? I've done LEJoG and JoGLE on a bike that cost far less than £1,000 (£650 to be precise) and on both occasions it performed brilliantly, The LEJoG was in 2009 and I covered 942 miles in 10 days supported. the JoGLE was last month and was an attempt at a double E2E I rode from home to JoG then down to LE 1,506 miles unsupported and the only problem was that the back tyre needed replacing in Peebles. The bike is a Giant SCR 1.5 the tyres had done around 500 miles before the JoGLE and perhaps could have been replaced as I hadn't really accounted for the extra weight on the back. Mechanicaly the bike ran like a dream. Look after your bike and it'll look after you!

BillB wrote:It is because of this advice I am selling the Horizon as I do not have storage space for another bike and I am told the Horizon will be no good by serious bikers.

Ok thats what you've been told but how do you feel about it? are you comfortable doing 70,80,90, miles a day back to back if so there's your answer!
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

£1000 minimum requirement!!! :lol:

When starting training for my first LEJOG, I was over 32 stone :oops: (and carried full camping gear) Believe me this requires a strong bike... My bike cost £750, had no issue, done 1000's mile since and nothing has gone wrong. (due to mile have gone thought few consumable (eg 3rd chain))

A 20 year old Dawes Horizon in good condition would be a great choice of bike for this ride. Even if it's not in great nick, may be worth sorting out.

If your Dawes Horizon was in good condition and reliable would this be the right bike for you?

Is it a comfortable riding position?
How does the range of gears seem to you?
How much do you care about how the bike looks?

Consider what you will be carrying, how fast you will be riding, how many hours a day you will be riding.

Your current bike is a great starting point, If after riding it you cannot think of what to change, then it's a good bike for you. :D
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I have a few questions about the type of ride that would influence my choice of bike.

Is it fully supported with you carrying no luggage?
Is it one of the short dash few days type of ride?
Are you going to be doing lots of fast high mileage rides every day?

If the answer is yes to any of the above questions, then I would pick as light as possible road bike.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar