melfort?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
chrisbrown12

melfort?

Post by chrisbrown12 »

does anyone know of a cheap place to stay in melfort or very close by?
itshimitis

Re: melfort?

Post by itshimitis »

Melfort is off the twisty and turny A816 between Oban and Lochgilphead. You are more likely to find affordable accomodation in Oban. I say affordable, but as you are going in August this will be a HUGE struggle. Oban is a very popular tourist area, and August is very high season and with its ferry links to Mull, iona etc, it's a busy place. You might get lucky though.

This is a search on laterooms.com there is one hotel with vacancy for £40. you won't get cheaper than that in Oban, and melfort is a small place where the only hotel is full on the 3rd, and £115 on other nights

http://www.laterooms.com/en/p8403/pv150 ... otels.aspx

The last time I stayed in Oban, which was a fair time ago there was a basic campsite just beyond the town. Oban would be a good stopping place with plenty of takeaways around for a less expensive treat for supper.
delport

Post by delport »

Up that way you will find countryside in abundance, finding a camping spot should be quite easy.The same stands for most of Scotland except the built up cities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Scotland is completely different to England when it comes to wild camping.

In Scotland we have more green areas and uninhabited areas than we require, but i suppose that is what makes the country such a popular place with tourists from round the world.On my cycle down past loch lomond i noticed people just put a tent wherever they wanted, they chose nice scenic areas and put a tent up.

If you want to give someone money for a campsite there are bound to be a couple in the Oban area.I have never hear of Melfort till you mentioned it, Oban is very well known though.
itshimitis

Post by itshimitis »

delport wrote:Up that way you will find countryside in abundance, finding a camping spot should be quite easy.The same stands for most of Scotland except the built up cities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Scotland is completely different to England when it comes to wild camping.

In Scotland we have more green areas and uninhabited areas than we require, but i suppose that is what makes the country such a popular place with tourists from round the world.On my cycle down past loch lomond i noticed people just put a tent wherever they wanted, they chose nice scenic areas and put a tent up.

If you want to give someone money for a campsite there are bound to be a couple in the Oban area.I have never hear of Melfort till you mentioned it, Oban is very well known though.

After a long day in the saddle, I'd definitely want a place for a shower, even just a campsite one.
chrisbrown12

Post by chrisbrown12 »

thanks guys going to look in oban now!
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I can recommend Glenview Guesthouse in Oban Tel 01631 562267. I stayed there in 2009 when I did my LeJoG, its run by a very friendly guy and it cost £25 to stay there. The rooms are very clean and smart and the breakfast is as much as you can eat and more besides. Secure indoor cycle storage too.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

There are also independant youth hostels in Oban, we also noticed that some of the B&B's were cheaper than the 'official YHA' thru July and Aug.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

I stayed at Roseview campsite, near Oban and would whole heartedly recommend it.

There is a covered eating area which is great when the heavens open, clean toilet and shower area.

http://www.roseviewoban.co.uk/

At the time, the owner had a whole shelf in reception crammed with Avon skin-so-soft which he was flogging for £5 each! You might want to take some along, lest you become midge bait, or get stung by the owner!!!!
nikruth

Post by nikruth »

Ardfern is just south of Melfort and will have Band B ,there is a Band B opposite the entrance road to Melfort .If you can google B&B you should find some details.Tereis also a B&B beind the weeshop and Im sure the Cuilfail Arms and or Puffer pubs have accommodation.
A bit more price Loch Melfort Hotel just a mile or so down the road from Melfort too...loads of campers usually pitching alongise the road just south of the Melfort entrance.
chrisbrown12

Post by chrisbrown12 »

hi guys, managed to find a place for 25 pound! can not wait now