2500 miles LEJOG and back in 20 days

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Pizza_man

2500 miles LEJOG and back in 20 days

Post by Pizza_man »

I set off on Friday (29th July) to cycle 2500miles in 20 days.... :D

875m LEJOG in 5 days (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53356, adjusted slightly, shorter first day)
Then
1625m back to Lands End, via the most Northern, Western, Eastern and Southern points within the UK (Dunnet Head, Corrachadh Mòr, Lowestoft and Lizard Point) + few other places and including a FNRttC (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-i2J0 ... Slide6.PNG)

Hotels booked on way "up" and taking camping gear for return trip (post to hotel in Wick),

If anyone wishes to sponsor me (for British Heart Foundation) please visit http://www.justgiving.com/Simon-Reynolds2 (has few more details of ride)

Really looking forward to it, but far from ready....
delport

Re: 2500 miles LEJOG and back in 20 days

Post by delport »

Best of luck, that is very impressive.
I done 1200 miles on my trip but took 23 days to do it, very much a slow coach compared to your plans.

I reckon you'll get plenty of donations on the route if you let people know what you are doing, folk will be bowled over with those statistics.
People gave me a lot of encouragement when i was travelling, and i was only going in one direction.They were surprised i was cycling that far.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good luck Pizza Man!
Have a god ride!

My thoughts are with you.

I'm on a ride from Cornwall to the Yorkshire Dales, then home via Bedford. 660miles done and 160miles left. Mrs Mick F is meeting me in Bridgwater and taking me home - saving me about 90miles riding.

However, riding day after day after day is gruelling to say the least. I tried a LEJOG and Back in three weeks back in 2006 and was so knackered on the way back I had to add another day to the itinerary. This ride, I had a day off on the way north, and another one (today) on the way south. Just done five straight days and I need a day off. When I leave tomorrow for the last two legs of the ride, I'll be relaxed and ready.

Basically, just look after yourself, and don't do too much. Good luck PM!
Mick F. Cornwall
tomp734444

Post by tomp734444 »

WOW!!

I am humbled by your ambition. I thought a JOGLE in 13 days to be daunting enough.

Hats-off to you and Godspeed.

May the road rise to meet you and may the wind be at your back.

TomP
It is better to travel than to arrive.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Thats one big ride you've got there! I hope you succeed, look after yourself. good luck and may the weather be kind to you.

Malc.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Mental!

From my experience of the place, go straight to the plaque marking the mosr easterly point by the wind turbine at Lowestoft and hope you've got a tail wind to take you away as quickly as possible!!!
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

Did LEJOG but took 6 days instead of 5 (which I am still VERY happy with). :D

Now on day 2 of 2 rest days before starting return journey. Scaling back plans for doing return journey, doing a slightly over distance “End to End - 7 x 200km Randonneur”. Now instead of doing 2500 miles in 20 days, “just” doing over 2000 miles.

Main problem (in addition to general tiredness) was human bike interface….

Will give better update later, only got 30 min on a PC in library and plenty to do online before set off….

But covering the miles and having fun!
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14435602 and Drumossie/a9 is exactly where I was....

Cycling thought 1 and 1/2 days of “rain” (read sheet of water), camped as could not find any accommodation, had noting dry with left... decided it was no longer fun....

Caught the train to Edinburgh, and spending 2 nights here to regroup. £20 hostel and festival is on.

This is not going to plan... but good news is body feeling allot better definitely up for more cycling if weather will give me a break...
brother nathaneil

Post by brother nathaneil »

Pizza_man wrote:decided it was no longer fun....

Well don Pizza_man, the whole point of any leisure ride* is to have fun... If you’re not, STOP, and reassess your journey.

I think your course of action is a good lesson to any new rider... you don't need to keep going "for the sake of it"
Stop when you need to
Stop when you want to
Keep going when you can

When things change, change your plan... It's still YOUR PLAN

*Leisure ride... Not life or death and mainly for pleasure, Even if you are fun raising, your sponsors don't want to kill/maim/injure you
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com