The journey is on.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Duke3376

The journey is on.

Post by Duke3376 »

Evening every one,

Well day 1 today has come and gone, as I sit here in my B&B in camelford I am thinking what today brought me if anything, I'm tired and a little sore (saddle) but thoroughly enjoyed it, two nearly minor mishaps, 1, going through Camborne some silly lady (not the words I used) stopped her car at a junction to turn right, the passenger got out the nearside, door wide open little swerve from me and all ok, 2, turning right off A39 to go into wade bridge at the roundabout, first car sees me then second didn't look at all and pulled in front of me, but a sixth sense told me to pull on the breaks before he pulled out, good job and choice words were sent to him.
Day 2 tomorrow, Camelford to Taunton, I'm a single unsupported cyclist wearing a white H4H tshirt if you see me give me a wave.

Catch you all later
ferrit worrier

Re: The journey is on.

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi Duke

Good luck with the ride, If you are heading to Taunton are you going via Crediton and Tiverton over the Cadbury hills, :roll: it's a fair climb or three, try Robs Passage

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=145542

what is your route? it looks like your on about 70 /75 miles a day?

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Duke3376

Post by Duke3376 »

Hi FW,

No not going over the cadbury Hills, listened to all on this website so going north of them which I do believe is Robs Passage,

My route is on here www.darrenlejog.weebly.com averaging 70 -80 miles per day with a couple of longer ones put in.

Duke
Duke3376

Post by Duke3376 »

The Journey is now over, I finished at 16:25hrs and 35 secs on Tuesday 30th August 2011, Done in 11 days, originally I was to do it in 12 days but as I was sat in the Travelodge at Inverness I just thought 117 miles tomorrow not a problem its certainly doable, weather was sh** Wind Bad, and them 2 hills, just outside Helmsdale and the one further on, they were certainly Lung Busters.
Going through Wick I came to the first set of Traffic lights the ones were the bike shop is on the corner, so theres me heading straight on as I am first at the lights, white car behind me, I know this as I always look behind to see who is there, I set off onto my seat and shoes now locked in, white car overtakes me and scuffs down my right hand side, then turns left which then takes the front wheel from underneath me and I crash into his rear nearside panel, big mess of me on the floor, the car then makes off down towards a supermarket and it didnt stop, a woman at the lights shouts if I am ok but me very angry and now hurting a little gets back on my bike (now Dented forks) and makes off in pursuit, sees the car just reversed into a space and the driver out looking in my direction, he spotted me and straight away say "i didn't see you mate" as he was trying to shake my hand, loads of choice words, a photograph of his car and him then off to the police station to report, coppers now dealing with this hit and run, he knew he had hit me but chose to not stop. poorly elbow and shoulder minor injuries but dented front forks, scratched frame and rip in my Gortex jacket. came out of the cop shop in wick got back on my bike and went and finished up at JOG.

A great cycling experience, I am in the process of writing up my blog which i will post the link on here when its done over the weekend.

Duke
hondated

Post by hondated »

Duke sorry to read your report I hope you and the bike are easily repairable and I look forward to you posting your blog link.
loafer

Post by loafer »

hi duke
congrats on getting there mate sorry to hear of your mishap just glad your were not hurt and was able to finish... bikes are easy to repair mate ...not like us

larry